When will the Bills STOP signing FA's?!

Doc

2008: Buffalo signs LB Kawika Mitchell, DT Spencer Johnson, and traded for DT Marcus Stroud.

Just like last night/today, the board was abuzz that Buffalo's defense would be much better with new additions. Unfortunately, those moves did not translate into a dominating defense.

Fans who amp up their expectations during the off-season are generally the ones who disappear from the board in November. It's happened quite frequently these past few seasons.

Dude--you just sucked all the funny out of his nugget of platinum wit with your cold hard reality.

But "had to be done", I guess...

I think you'll hear a lot of people who have no idea what a DE in a 3-4 is supposed to do. They'll look at the sack numbers and scream he sucks. They'll try to compare him to BS without realizing what a freak BS was. Hopefully this move will make a lot more people realize that if BS played in a 4-3 he might have 300 sacks!!

There's also the fact that BS played in a 1-gap 3-4...where his role is similar to an under-DT in a 4-3. Dwan Edwards played a 2-gap 3-4 where his his purpose was gap responsibility.

2008: Buffalo signs LB Kawika Mitchell, DT Spencer Johnson, and traded for DT Marcus Stroud.

Just like last night/today, the board was abuzz that Buffalo's defense would be much better with new additions. Unfortunately, those moves did not translate into a dominating defense.

Fans who amp up their expectations during the off-season are generally the ones who disappear from the board in November. It's happened quite frequently these past few seasons.

Bills Vet; What the Doctor Prescribes when you have had an erection that last more than four hours!

Unfortunately, there will be plenty of fans who just need something to complain 'bout that will remain. If the Bills lay low and don't make moves, then they're stupid for "doing nothing". If they make moves, then the moves they make suck and they don't know what they're doing. I call this the Randy Quaid Syndrome, named after Quaid's heckler character from the "Major League" movies. The character wasn't happy when things were going good 'cause he couldn't take center stage w/ his whining and ranting 'bout how bad things were.

The wait and see approach (my favorite) is boring and doesn't make for good ol' fashioned division amongst fans, but it works for me.

Yeah, but it's safe and a great defense mechanism. When you're a pessimist, if the teams does well you can say "hey, they did better than I thought," while if they do poorly, it's "see, I told you so!" :doh:

My god, you're miserable.

Yeah, but it's safe and a great defense mechanism. When you're a pessimist, if the teams does well you can say "hey, they did better than I thought," while if they do poorly, it's "see, I told you so!" :doh:

Yeah, I never got that. It's supposed to be fun. The league constantly changes and no one has any idea what is going to happy. Spring is here and the Bills signed 2 very solid players. Why can't you just be happy for the moment?

It's like going on a frist date with a girl. Do you go in hoping she will like but worry that you she won't? I go in with the attitude, she's gonna fall in love at first look and want to make multiple babies with me. If it doesn't happen, it's her loss.

Unfortunately, there will be plenty of fans who just need something to complain 'bout that will remain. If the Bills lay low and don't make moves, then they're stupid for "doing nothing". If they make moves, then the moves they make suck and they don't know what they're doing. I call this the Randy Quaid Syndrome, named after Quaid's heckler character from the "Major League" movies. The character wasn't happy when things were going good 'cause he couldn't take center stage w/ his whining and ranting 'bout how bad things were.

The wait and see approach (my favorite) is boring and doesn't make for good ol' fashioned division amongst fans, but it works for me.

To clarify, I like both signings, as these two are the only experienced 3-4 players on Buffalo's defense right now. Free Agency was thin, and these two guys have proven track records with success. But I'm not the type who gets overly excited like many fans who are ultimately disappointed when the season degenerates. The team started the rebuild, not finished it. And I know you know that.

Agreed.

My god, you're miserable.

I don't care if you disagree with my stance, but have the audacity to debate my opinion. Even if Buffalo had signed Peppers and Dansby I wouldn't be overly thrilled. Buffalo is what it is: a rebuilding team in a division and conference packed with better teams.

Tell me, what is your opinion?

speaking of low expectations....most here concede a very bad year (or two or three) in order to rebuild...thats a pretty effective defense mechanism as well...and if you expect very little in free agency (many here actually argued that free agent signings would be a bad thing) any signing is a reason for celebration. I think the "pessimsts" here actually have higher hopes than the delusional fans but they are cognizant of the fiscal realities of a rw owned team.

I'm not going to be critical of a new regime making some smart moves in free agency. Will they have a major impact? By themselves, probably not. But with a quality draft and some smart mid-tier fee agent aquisitions the team will be better and have established a direction where before this new regime the front office was drafting and acquiring free agents in a very haphazard manner.

One of the biggest problems this team had last year, in addition to mediocre starting players, was a lack of depth. Bulking up the reserve positions and upgrading the rotation of players is a step in the right direction. I'm not looking for dramatic moves as much as I am looking for a number of smart moves. Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Absolutely not. We will still be the worst team in our division. The fairest approach to assessing the Bills is seeing tangible evidence that they are getting better and have a strategy which is steadily being implemented.

To clarify, I like both signings, as these two are the only experienced 3-4 players on Buffalo's defense right now. Free Agency was thin, and these two guys have proven track records with success. But I'm not the type who gets overly excited like many fans who are ultimately disappointed when the season degenerates. The team started the rebuild, not finished it. And I know you know that.

Agreed.

I don't care if you disagree with my stance, but have the audacity to debate my opinion. Even if Buffalo had signed Peppers and Dansby I wouldn't be overly thrilled. Buffalo is what it is: a rebuilding team in a division and conference packed with better teams.

Tell me, what is your opinion?

We were pretty bad last year. No doubt about it. We won 6 games without a QB and oline and a ton of injuries. For all the talk of these better teams, we were a McKelvin fumble from splitting with the division. NE may be declining (I'm not buying i but they aren't the team they were). Miami won one more game than us and we beat them by 2 tds the last team when we played. The Jets were 7-7 and need to 2 bye games to sneak into the playoffs. I'm not really buying that all these teams are better.

You don't have to do backflips over these signings. But they are solid smart signings of guys who played the defense before. Davis is getting older but he is a very good run stopping ILB. Edwards should be entering the prime of his career and was good enough to start for one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Obviously, I see the glass half full and you always see it empty. Truth is, it's probably someone in between. But IMO, these seem like 2 very smart signings by a front office that has a long time football guy and possibly a young upcomer in the business. IMO, it is a good start to the offseason. The draft will be the true measure because that is how good teams are built.

Yeah but now we got Mitchell Johnson Stroud AND Davis and Edwards...lol...we need an edge guy that is proven or get lucky with Maybin beign a good OLB and we'll be alright...we drop in a small man by the name of Cody at NT...and we could look pretty good...

speaking of low expectations....most here concede a very bad year (or two or three) in order to rebuild...thats a pretty effective defense mechanism as well...and if you expect very little in free agency (many here actually argued that free agent signings would be a bad thing) any signing is a reason for celebration. I think the "pessimsts" here actually have higher hopes than the delusional fans but they are cognizant of the fiscal realities of a rw owned team.

Good point.

It's also funny that many of the same who go on and on about how smart Buddy is for NOT signing "superstars" are the same who spilled some seed after the TO signing (and are, amazingly and with no apparent sense of irony, advocating his RESIGNING now!).

OK, maybe I'm not so amazed. Pretty typical stuff.

Good point.

It's also funny that many of the same who go on and on about how smart Buddy is for NOT signing "superstars" are the same who spilled some seed after the TO signing (and are, amazingly and with no apparent sense of irony, advocating his RESIGNING now!).

OK, maybe I'm not so amazed. Pretty typical stuff.

Yes, what with all of 3 "superstars" (if even) available in FA this off-season. :thumbdown: