Listening to an iPod can kill you

IPODS!! AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN.

http://darwinawards.com/slush/200802/pendi...204-045209.html

Nathan Lebaron, of Clearfield, was walking northbound about 200 yards from a railroad crossing south of 2200 W. 1800 North at 2:20 p.m. when he was struck from behind by a Union Pacific freight train, said Sgt. Paul Gardiner.

"The engineer said the kid was just walking northbound on the tracks," Gardiner said. "He sounded the horn, but [Lebaron] never turned around."

The engineer "locked up the brakes," but failed to stop the quick-moving train, Gardiner said. After striking Lebaron, the engineer called Clearfield emergency dispatch. Investigation of the incident was turned over to Layton police.

The collision forced the closure of the railroad tracks for four hours as police began their investigation.

Witnesses told police Lebaron seemed to be singing loudly and was swinging his arms before being struck, said Layton police officer Shawn Lewis.

During the investigation, police found an iPod that was still on. They think it may be Lebaron's.

http://darwinawards.com/slush/200611/pendi...106-084555.html

Trains are loud and noisy and usually announce their approach from quite a distance, allowing anyone in their path ample time to clear out of the way. However, our Darwin contender decided to up the odds in the train's favor by wearing a pair of headphones with the music turned up quite loud (louder than the train horn apparently). It wasn't mentioned what song he was listening to, but I'm guessing it was "Don't Look Back" by Boston. Not looking back sealed his fate. Despite three or four loud blasts of the horn by the train engineer, our unnamed Darwin contender kept strolling along between the rails in musical bliss until being removed from the gene pool courtesy of Amtrak.

I was walking here in SF last year with my iPod blasting and came very close to walking in front of a MUNI train. Never heard it of course and it scared the living **** out of me.

BTW, dude, time to buy a new plane.

But before Smith and his passenger, who has not been identified, reached the island, oil began to leak onto the windshield, blocking their vision, said Joheida Fister, Hilton Head Island Fire and Rescue Division spokeswoman.

The plane’s propeller came off. The men decided to make an emergency landing on the beach, she said. They were not injured.

How loud does your music have to be to not hear a train coming, You can feel a train coming when you are on the tracks, its almost impossible to not here feel or sense the train is coming. I thought about it, and think there was something more, maybe a suicide...

But that is just me speculating... :pirate:

How loud does your music have to be to not hear a train coming, You can feel a train coming when you are on the tracks, its almost impossible to not here feel or sense the train is coming. I thought about it, and think there was something more, maybe a suicide...

But that is just me speculating... :pirate:

A muni train is not like a 30 car locomotive. And no I am not suicidal...I don't really follow the Bills that closely anymore.

Why didn't the pilot choose the beach rather than a bit off shore? Chances are pretty good that someone is going to be on the beach at Hilton Head at @ 6pm. Sounds like negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter or something like that.

Why didn't the pilot choose the beach rather than a bit off shore? Chances are pretty good that someone is going to be on the beach at Hilton Head at @ 6pm. Sounds like negligent homicide or involuntary manslaughter or something like that.

William Mattar is that you?

IPODS!! AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN.

http://darwinawards.com/slush/200802/pendi...204-045209.html

Nathan Lebaron, of Clearfield, was walking northbound about 200 yards from a railroad crossing south of 2200 W. 1800 North at 2:20 p.m. when he was struck from behind by a Union Pacific freight train, said Sgt. Paul Gardiner.

"The engineer said the kid was just walking northbound on the tracks," Gardiner said. "He sounded the horn, but [Lebaron] never turned around."

The engineer "locked up the brakes," but failed to stop the quick-moving train, Gardiner said. After striking Lebaron, the engineer called Clearfield emergency dispatch. Investigation of the incident was turned over to Layton police.

The collision forced the closure of the railroad tracks for four hours as police began their investigation.

Witnesses told police Lebaron seemed to be singing loudly and was swinging his arms before being struck, said Layton police officer Shawn Lewis.

During the investigation, police found an iPod that was still on. They think it may be Lebaron's.

http://darwinawards.com/slush/200611/pendi...106-084555.html

Trains are loud and noisy and usually announce their approach from quite a distance, allowing anyone in their path ample time to clear out of the way. However, our Darwin contender decided to up the odds in the train's favor by wearing a pair of headphones with the music turned up quite loud (louder than the train horn apparently). It wasn't mentioned what song he was listening to, but I'm guessing it was "Don't Look Back" by Boston. Not looking back sealed his fate. Despite three or four loud blasts of the horn by the train engineer, our unnamed Darwin contender kept strolling along between the rails in musical bliss until being removed from the gene pool courtesy of Amtrak.

I was refering to the above^^^^^^^^^^

A muni train is not like a 30 car locomotive. And no I am not suicidal...I don't really follow the Bills that closely anymore.

If you were to make a list of "Things to be afraid of when going out for a run", I wonder how far down on the list you'll find "Getting suddenly hit by a silent airplane". Bizarre stuff.

That's #5, just above heart attack, but just below being grabbed by a giant octopus.