Tiger Woods will return for Masters

Beerball

At the most prestigious (and some say the most difficult) golf tournament in the world, with a 50-year old in 1st place and a 60-year old in 2nd place, can we officially declare an end to the "golfers are athletes" discussion??? Puhleesse.

Joe Theisman is 60. Keith Hernandez is 56. Isiah Thomas is 48. They were all among the best in their respective sports during their primes. Could you imagine any of those guys not only suiting up for a professional game, but excelling to the point that they could win championships?

Golfers, you are supremely skilled. You are not athletes.

When I first started to read your post, I was thinking that you would end with saying that this proves that golfers are athletes, and instead you did the opposite. If anything guys like Watson and Couples competing step-for-step with golfers like Tiger and Mickelson is simply further proof that they are great athletes well into their middle-age years. Golf takes an incredible amount of balance, strength, hand-eye coordination, endurance, etc. All qualities of being a good athlete. Playing (and walking for that matter) 72 holes of golf in a 4 day period, under immense pressure from the first tee-shot to the last putt is a very grueling task, and the guys that are on Tour these days are doing so very impressively. We're not talking about some 37 year old insurance agent with a beer gut shooting 90 at a local golf course with his buddies. I'll listen to arguments about Nascar drivers not being athletes, but professional golfers most certainly are. These guys are special, and they are athletes. Go Freddy Couples! :thumbsup: Should be a great weekend.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the most prestigious (and some say the most difficult) golf tournament in the world, with a 50-year old in 1st place and a 60-year old in 2nd place, can we officially declare an end to the "golfers are athletes" discussion??? Puhleesse.

Joe Theisman is 60. Keith Hernandez is 56. Isiah Thomas is 48. They were all among the best in their respective sports during their primes. Could you imagine any of those guys not only suiting up for a professional game, but excelling to the point that they could win championships?

So an 'athlete' is determined based on a certain age range that one can be highly competitive in a sport? What a ridiculous statement.

Could you imagine Nolan Ryan playing at 46 or Gordie Howe at 50? I guess not; or maybe baseball and hockey players aren't "athletes" either.

Every sport demands different skills from its athletes and so every sport has a different age range at which athletes are able to compete at a top level. Gymnasts are generally washed up before they are out of their teen years. In golf, most guys reach their peak after 30, about the time most football players start breaking down.

So an 'athlete' is determined based on a certain age range that one can be highly competitive in a sport? What a ridiculous statement.

Could you imagine Nolan Ryan playing at 46 or Gordie Howe at 50? I guess not; or maybe baseball and hockey players aren't "athletes" either.

Every sport demands different skills from its athletes and so every sport has a different age range at which athletes are able to compete at a top level. Gymnasts are generally washed up before they are out of their teen years. In golf, most guys reach their peak after 30, about the time most football players start breaking down.

There is an athletic component to golf- the golf swing. It is an athletic move, the same as taking a slapshot, hitting a baseball, or kicking a soccer ball. However, let's assume a golfer uses 70 strokes to complete his round. Only about 30 of those strokes are "athletic." Another 30 are putts. Add about 10 for little chips and pitches around the green. There is nothing else demanded of a golfer, other than managing their own personal "stress." No running, no jumping, no opponents, no defense, strength training is optional (and some players frown on weightlifting.) The "athleticism" of the swing can be debated...It is essentially skillful muscle memory to get the club head through the ball square and on-time. No rush, proceed at your own speed, make sure you're completely comfortable to hit that non-moving object. It's like bowling.

I particularly like the fact that people cite "walking" as part of the endurance of golf. Forget the fact that these guys are walking while someone else is carrying their bag. The players are eating bananas and granola bars as they walk along. Four straight days of walking?? My mom is 60 and she walks 5 days a week!! And she carries her own purse!!!

Nolan Ryan pitched into his 40's (and not with great success as he got to 45-46.) That's not extremely unusual for pitchers, who have to make 30 starts a season, once every 5 days (and like pro golfers, have a rare and freakish skill.) Jamie Moyer is going to be 47 this year. Gordie Howe played when he was 50, but was a shell of a real hockey player. There are other examples, I'm sure.

We're talking about the greatest championship in golf. Guys who can't jog a half-mile are leading the tournament. Why? Because at it's core, at the highest level, golf is a putting contest and has VERY little to do with athleticism. That's why senior citizens are able to compete with players in their prime "athletic" years.

Bottom line, you can (and should) drink beers when you play. Not athletes.

For the record, I play golf and I'm an 11 handicap and I enjoy the game.

There is an athletic component to golf- the golf swing. It is an athletic move, the same as taking a slapshot, hitting a baseball, or kicking a soccer ball. However, let's assume a golfer uses 70 strokes to complete his round. Only about 30 of those strokes are "athletic." Another 30 are putts. Add about 10 for little chips and pitches around the green. There is nothing else demanded of a golfer, other than managing their own personal "stress." No running, no jumping, no opponents, no defense, strength training is optional (and some players frown on weightlifting.) The "athleticism" of the swing can be debated...It is essentially skillful muscle memory to get the club head through the ball square and on-time. No rush, proceed at your own speed, make sure you're completely comfortable to hit that non-moving object. It's like bowling.

I particularly like the fact that people cite "walking" as part of the endurance of golf. Forget the fact that these guys are walking while someone else is carrying their bag. The players are eating bananas and granola bars as they walk along. Four straight days of walking?? My mom is 60 and she walks 5 days a week!! And she carries her own purse!!!

Nolan Ryan pitched into his 40's (and not with great success as he got to 45-46.) That's not extremely unusual for pitchers, who have to make 30 starts a season, once every 5 days (and like pro golfers, have a rare and freakish skill.) Jamie Moyer is going to be 47 this year. Gordie Howe played when he was 50, but was a shell of a real hockey player. There are other examples, I'm sure.

We're talking about the greatest championship in golf. Guys who can't jog a half-mile are leading the tournament. Why? Because at it's core, at the highest level, golf is a putting contest and has VERY little to do with athleticism. That's why senior citizens are able to compete with players in their prime "athletic" years.

You make some valid points. But the bolded parts prove that you either don't know what you're talking about or you're fabricating stuff to try to make your points.

There are opponents, obviously. Your fellow golfers, and the course itself.

Strength training is all but compulsory at the highest level. These guys aren't jacked out of their minds, but they do concentrate on their arms and core quite extensively. Sure, you have guys that are out of shape like a lot of other sports. But if you think John Daly isn't lifting weights, you're kidding yourself.

The golf swing required to drive the ball 350 yards straight down the fairway does imply athleticism. Club head speed is all about torque.

Saying that Couples and Watson can't jog a half mile is ridiculous. Especially Watson. The man is incredibly fit for his age. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran 5Ks, half-marathons, etc.

I'm not saying golfers are athletes on par with tennis or hockey players. But your attempts to degrade the athletic elements of the game really miss the mark.

You make some valid points. But the bolded parts prove that you either don't know what you're talking about or you're fabricating stuff to try to make your points.

There are opponents, obviously. Your fellow golfers, and the course itself.

Strength training is all but compulsory at the highest level. These guys aren't jacked out of their minds, but they do concentrate on their arms and core quite extensively. Sure, you have guys that are out of shape like a lot of other sports. But if you think John Daly isn't lifting weights, you're kidding yourself.

The golf swing required to drive the ball 350 yards straight down the fairway does imply athleticism. Club head speed is all about torque.

Saying that Couples and Watson can't jog a half mile is ridiculous. Especially Watson. The man is incredibly fit for his age. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran 5Ks, half-marathons, etc.

I'm not saying golfers are athletes on par with tennis or hockey players. But your attempts to degrade the athletic elements of the game really miss the mark.

.........and maybe hitting 500 to 800 golf balls a day for practice doesnt count as anything either :thumbsup:

Ok then, go hit 500 balls and tell us how you're feeling the next morning.

Hey man, I play golf. I'm not bad. I've spent two hours at the range. I've played in a tournament with 15 friends in a 8-on-8 "Ryder Cup" format where we played 36 on Thursday, 36 on Friday, 18 on Saturday. I've walked many a golf course and actually enjoy walking (and carrying my bag.) It's not particularly difficult.

Wow, what a shot by Mickelson....from the rough, in between two trees, hits a 5 iron (I think) and puts it just over a small water hazzard onto the green, three feet from the pin. This guy may be getting more clutch with age B-)

I hope this is over by 7, so I don't have to mess with my Amazing Race DVR settings. B-)

;No doubt....I've had issues the last two weeks....really pissing me off!

He doesn't play the western open. Don't worry though, he won't be playing two weeks from today anyway. B-)

So much for that predication. If his putting had been anywhere near sharp, he's right there with Phil at the end.

Some very good performances this week....good tournament.

So much for that predication. If his putting had been anywhere near sharp, he's right there with Phil at the end.

Some very good performances this week....good tournament.

Tiger was his usual competitive self in the post-tourney interview. "I am not happy with fourth." No thanks for the fans or players. No happy to be back. Just pissed he didn't win. Just like Jordan: No turning off the competitive drive and being a human being.

Tiger was his usual competitive self in the post-tourney interview. "I am not happy with fourth." No thanks for the fans or players. No happy to be back. Just pissed he didn't win. Just like Jordan: No turning off the competitive drive and being a human being.

It's pretty tough to simply turn off your competitive drive just minutes after playing in the biggest golf tournament in the world. Not the best moment to judge his character, or anyone's for that matter.

And, in the end, these guys didn't win, either........and, I may be wrong, but isn't Nicklaus' win at age 46, by far the oldest of anybody in the modern era. How old was Ryan when he pitched his last no hitter?

It's pretty tough to simply turn off your competitive drive just minutes after playing in the biggest golf tournament in the world. Not the best moment to judge his character, or anyone's for that matter.

And yet Lee Westwood and Phil Couples were gracious in their loss. I'm just pointing out that Tiger is ever Tiger. He's an insane competitor in the mold of Jordan, Bird, and others. A miserable SOB who can't stand watching his competition succeed. He is driven by the same bile that drove the oilman in There Will Be Blood.