What I think will happen come draft time.

DarthICE

From the way things are going I think the Bills trade down and get an additional 2nd round pick. I can see the following happening next...

Round 1 Trent Williams LT OU

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

All they did was consistantly perform at a high level in College and that is what Nix is looking for. I know some will hate it, but if the draft went down like that along with picking up some LB, DE, WR help in rounds 3-7 I would be pretty happy.

Not a bad scenario. I know a lot of people don't like McCoy but I see a lot of the same negatives thrown at him coming out of college that were thrown at Drew Brees coming out of Purdue (height, injuries, etc).

I also think they'll end up with two 2nd rounders, but I think its because they'll end up trading away their 3rd and 4th picks to move back into the late 2nd, or they'll trade a 2011 draft pick to move back in.

From the way things are going I think the Bills trade down and get an additional 2nd round pick. I can see the following happening next...

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

All they did was consistantly perform at a high level in College and that is what Nix is looking for. I know some will hate it, but if the draft went down like that along with picking up some LB, DE, WR help in rounds 3-7 I would be pretty happy.

I'll go out on a limb right now and predict Cody will be a 1st Round Pick (not really sure if it's much of a limb any longer)...3-4 Defenses are all over the NFL now, and while his weight issues are a concern, taking a chance on his upside in the late 1st Round is really not much of a reach at all...Heck The Bills Drafted McCargo in the 1st Round and Cody is a MUCH better Prospect with a MUCH better resume coming in... :wallbash:

I don't see how anyone with a lick of football sense wouldn't mind that scenario playing out. Not everybody would LOVE it, but you can't argue that 3 extremely important positions wouldn't have been addressed.

Normally teams have 3 cornerstones to build a franchise on. QB, LT, RDE. Well if you run a 3-4 that changes. It needs to be QB, LT and NT because NT is much more important than DE in a 3-4.

If that draft scenario goes down, we have our 3 franchise cornerstones on this roster for a long time. Now fill in around them and lets win some football games.

Normally teams have 3 cornerstones to build a franchise on. QB, LT, RDE. Well if you run a 3-4 that changes. It needs to be QB, LT and NT because NT is much more important than DE in a 3-4.

If that draft scenario goes down, we have our 3 franchise cornerstones on this roster for a long time. Now fill in around them and lets win some football games.

agreed! and if mckelvin pans out we'll have a shutdown corner, arguably the "4th cornerstone"

(not holdin my breath tho)

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

Your scenario is implausible. If the Bills trade down they won't be able to acquire Trent Williams. There is even a question whether he will be available for us with the nineth pick. I also believe that Cody will go in the lower first round or very high in the second round.

For the sake of a discusion would you be satisfied with the Bills taking OT Trent Williams with our nineth pick and take McCoy with our second round pick and be satisfied? Or would you take OT Trent Williams with the nineth pick and then take NT Cody with the second if he was available over McCoy?

Let me add one more scenario which might better reflect a move down result. How about moving down to the lower first round and take OT Rodger Saffold with the pick and then take Cody and McCoy with the other second round picks?

Is your head spinning yet?

Your scenario is implausible. If the Bills trade down they won't be able to acquire Trent Williams.

that's quite possible

Let me add one more scenario which might better reflect a move down result. How about moving down to the lower first round and take OT Rodger Saffold with the pick and then take Cody and McCoy with the other second round picks?

risky, but think I'd rather they take Saffold than Davis.

I'd also rather get Tebow than McCoy.

that's quite possible

risky, but think I'd rather they take Saffold than Davis.

I'd also rather get Tebow than McCoy.

I certainly would take Saffold over Davis. Davis's work ethic and maturity really scare me off. If a rookie is going to be installed at the LT position he is going to struggle, no matter how good he is. That is part of the learning process. Saffold is the type of person who would work harder to improve. I'm not sure that Davis has that ethic to buckle down and do what he has to do to get better. Another advantage of Saffold is that he can also play inside. Make no mistake about Davis's tools. He may be the most physically gifted OT in the draft. But if he doesn't translate his physical talents to his performance on the field then it is wasted.

Recently I heard both McShay and Kiper on the same radio show rave about Saffold. He is a known player who is moving up the ranks.

I respectfully disagree with your taking Tebow over McCoy. McCoy is an accurate and conventional type of qb who wouldn't have to adjust his game as much as Tebow would.

With a 3 - 4, you need TWO cornerstones to run your defense around, both hard to find. The first, as you said, is a big ole NT, but the second is a fabulously athletic and abrupt ROLB. Unless Maybin works out there, we don't have anybody who will, IMHO.

NT doesn't replace RDE in the 3 - 4. ROLB does. In either situation, you need a freakily athletic pass rusher coming off the right side of the defense.

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

Here are the very apparent problems with your scenario here...

1. The only way we will find a trading partner to trade down is if either Claussen or Berry slip to us at #9. Neither is very likely, with the Berry scenario the least likely. There will be no one available at #9 to inspire teams to trade up for. The only players teams will see worth trading up for to get at #9 are Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Okung, Berry and Claussen. All are almost certainly gone by 9 except Claussen and Berry who are also likely to be gone but could slip depending if there is a big run on OT's like some think. Bulaga could also inspire trade partners, but no way we trade down if Bulaga by some miracle is there at #9.

2. If we somehow do trade down, Trent Williams most likely will not be there to take later unless we stay close to the 9 spot. Many think he will be gone even before #9. But then, that brings up the problem in #1 again. Who will be there at #9 to make a team give up their second round pick to move up a couple of spots? No one unless its Claussen or Berry.

3. Cody will not be there when we draft in the 2nd. His conditioning will make him slip in terms of where his production should have him drafted, but the better teams in the NFL drafting in the bottom of the first round who can afford to take a chance on this kid based on his film later will likely snatch him up. If not, then surely some team at the top of 2nd round.

4. Dont under estimate the Bills interest in Spiller either at #9. The new staff wants to ramp up the offense and are known for their ground game. I honestly get the feeling the new staff isnt as big of a Lynch fan as some posters on this board. His off the field problems, lack of explosiveness because of his tendency to dance at the line and also frequent dropped passes have made him expendable and even a liability in some aspects.

IMO, at #9, to me the most likely scenario is we will take an OT unless the ones we want are already gone, in which case we will take either Spiller, McClain or Dan Williams.

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

Williams might be gone in the top 10 or top 15 if you believe the mocks. Not sure if he will be there for us later.

Here are the very apparent problems with your scenario here...

1. The only way we will find a trading partner to trade down is if either Claussen or Berry slip to us at #9. Neither is very likely, with the Berry scenario the least likely. There will be no one available at #9 to inspire teams to trade up for. The only players teams will see worth trading up for to get at #9 are Suh, McCoy, Bradford, Okung, Berry and Claussen. All are almost certainly gone by 9 except Claussen and Berry who are also likely to be gone but could slip depending if there is a big run on OT's like some think. Bulaga could also inspire trade partners, but no way we trade down if Bulaga by some miracle is there at #9.

2. If we somehow do trade down, Trent Williams most likely will not be there to take later unless we stay close to the 9 spot. Many think he will be gone even before #9. But then, that brings up the problem in #1 again. Who will be there at #9 to make a team give up their second round pick to move up a couple of spots? No one unless its Claussen or Berry.

3. Cody will not be there when we draft in the 2nd. His conditioning will make him slip in terms of where his production should have him drafted, but the better teams in the NFL drafting in the bottom of the first round who can afford to take a chance on this kid based on his film later will likely snatch him up. If not, then surely some team at the top of 2nd round.

4. Dont under estimate the Bills interest in Spiller either at #9. The new staff wants to ramp up the offense and are known for their ground game. I honestly get the feeling the new staff isnt as big of a Lynch fan as some posters on this board. His off the field problems, lack of explosiveness because of his tendency to dance at the line and also frequent dropped passes have made him expendable and even a liability in some aspects.

IMO, at #9, to me the most likely scenario is we will take an OT unless the ones we want are already gone, in which case we will take either Spiller, McClain or Dan Williams.

nice analysis.

I agree with the Spiller assessment. A day or two ago I hated the thought of drafting him. Trading down would be a much better option. But after doing some more research on the kid, I wouldn't be ANGRY if we drafted him. SURE we have greater needs. There's no question we need OL and DT more. I don't think Dan Williams is worthy of the 9th selection and there's a chance the guys the Bills like at OL are gone by the time we pick. Spiller IS a game changer. We haven't had one in awhile.

Round 2 Cody NT Bamma

Round 2 McCoy QB Texas.

No way do we trade down far enough to get another second rounder and still get Trent Williams. We would be lucky to get him at 9.

And no way does Cody slide down to us at pick 41. I too believe he ends up in the first round- and higher then projected.

That would be a great draft, but reality is it is a pipe dream