Bills meeting with Syracuse DT Arthur Jones?

Beerball

I don't watch any college football.

Perhaps someone who watches Syracuse football could help us with a more unbiased review?

I watched 4 Syracuse games this year and Jones looked good in every one. He's not a space-eater, but he sheds tackles and is excellent in pursuit. I think he'd be a great fit as a 3-4 DE and we'd be damn lucky to get him in the 3rd round. My guess is he goes in the second, probably early.

I don't watch any college football.

Perhaps someone who watches Syracuse football could help us with a more unbiased review?

I like him. If he played for a better team and didn't get injured he'd prob be a top 2-3 round draft pick. He's definetly worth a look in rounds 4-5. In 2008 he totally dominated Norte Dame and won the game for SU.

Glad your doing better. BTW you have a real "keeper" in your wife. Treat her good my friend.

Back to the task at hand. I have had Jones on my radar for a while. The guy is a football player with a really good head on his shoulders. Here is the write-up from the Sporting News. Sorry can't post a link as it is a subscription to the draft stuff. They have Jones being drafted by Carolina in the second round (15) 47th overall. IMO if he's still on the board, Authur Jones would be an outstanding pick for the Buffalo Bills.

Arthur Jones

DT, Syracuse

War Room analysis

Against the run: Makes plays in every way. Gets off the snap quickly to shoot gaps and blow up plays in the backfield. Consistently gets under "reach" blocks, keeping offensive linemen on his back as he accelerates quickly down the line. Shows the speed to chase down ball carriers near the sideline. Takes on one-on-one run blocks with good leverage, uses hands well to shed the block and make the play.

Pass rush: Shows explosive athleticism and great instincts and snap anticipation to burst off the snap and threaten gaps. Shows the quickness, hands and agility to defeat one-on-one pass blocks with a quick "slap and arm-over" move. Flashes an explosive closing burst to the quarterback to finish the sack. Isn't much of a bull rusher. Must improve secondary pass-rush moves to defeat the block if initially stopped.

Initial quickness: Is a disruptive force. Shows super quickness and strong legs. Anticipates the snap well. Even when not making a tackle, disrupts the play enough so teammates can make the play. Is a similar prospect to the Bears' Tommie Harris.

Run/pass recognition: Shows natural instincts. Sniffs out plays well, especially screen passes.

Pursuit/tackling: Is an elite athlete with the quickness and speed to chase down plays all over the field. Moves through traffic with surprising ease, maintains speed and has an explosive burst to finish plays. Stays under control and maintains good balance in the open field, never getting too high or overrunning plays.

Bottom line: Jones really improved his consistency as a senior. He is not the big, 320-plus-pound defensive tackle many teams covet, but he has the tools to be a highly productive, gap-shooting tackle. Jones shows the instincts, athleticism, explosiveness, competitiveness and strength to play tackle in a 4-3 scheme or end in a 3-4 scheme, especially in San Diego's and Pittsburgh's system.

I like him. If he played for a better team and didn't get injured he'd prob be a top 2-3 round draft pick. He's definetly worth a look in rounds 4-5. In 2008 he totally dominated Norte Dame and won the game for SU.

he sure did, he had 15 tackles!!!!!! He had 15 tackles against Notre Dame (not a slouch team) from the defensive tackle position....thats a helluva lot of disruption

• 3 weeks later...

New article today in the local Syracuse paper....

Orange star nose tackle back in Syracuse, but only for a visit

Jones, 23, whose parents live in Endicott, is back in the Syracuse area to work out for pro scouts. He said at least 18 NFL clubs will send representatives to the Carrier Dome on Tuesday to watch him run and go through some drills. There may be more by Tuesday, he said.

Jones said he has signed with an agent, former NFL offensive lineman Joe Panos of Milwaukee. In addition to the Pro Day at SU, Jones said he also has private workouts with three teams, Buffalo, Atlanta and New England.

Former Bill Joe Panos?

Sounds like a great pick up in rounds 2-3. Jones is the type of player that we need in our front 7. Marcus Stroud will be gone in a year or two, so it would be great to have a player to develop for when Stroud isn't here anymore.

he sure did, he had 15 tackles!!!!!! He had 15 tackles against Notre Dame (not a slouch team) from the defensive tackle position....thats a helluva lot of disruption

Yup, although ND's o-line has been very bad for the last two or three years.

Here is confirmation that he visited the Bills:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/15/...arthur-jones-in

New article today in the local Syracuse paper....

Orange star nose tackle back in Syracuse, but only for a visit

Jones, 23, whose parents live in Endicott, is back in the Syracuse area to work out for pro scouts. He said at least 18 NFL clubs will send representatives to the Carrier Dome on Tuesday to watch him run and go through some drills. There may be more by Tuesday, he said.

Jones said he has signed with an agent, former NFL offensive lineman Joe Panos of Milwaukee. In addition to the Pro Day at SU, Jones said he also has private workouts with three teams, Buffalo, Atlanta and New England.

Former Bill Joe Panos?

Yes, Linky

LMM SIGNS NFL DRAFT PICK: Lock Metz & Malinovic has signed Syracuse defensive tackle Arthur Jones for representation.

Jones was No. 9 in Web site NFLDraftBlitz.com’s mock draft last week and was ranked No. 48 by Web site NFLDraftScout last week. He will be represented by firm principals Ethan Lock, Eric Metz, Vance Malinovic and Joe Panos, a former NFL player and recently NFLPA-certified agent who joined LMM earlier this year.

Panos said he thinks his experience in the NFL was a factor in Jones’ decision. “I can relate to the kids because whatever is going to happen to these kids happened to me,” said Panos, who played guard for seven seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and Buffalo Bills after being a third-round draft pick in 1994. Among the things he can relate to, he said, is “some of the lines” prospective draft prospects will hear from agents.

Panos said he is ecstatic to have Jones as his first client. “I am very fortunate to come out of the gate and get a kid like Arthur,” he said.