The Value of a dollar

The free agency/draft part of the year is in itself a season that builds in excitement until the draft and I always waited patiently while the Bills moved or did something exciting. When Marv purchased the two offensive lineman three years ago, it was pretty exciting because it was a giant hole and the word was that Losman would be the quarterback we drafted him to be if we put a strong line in front of him but we all know what happened with that. The truth is that besides Bryce Paup, I cannot remember anyone who had a large impact on our team. Walker and Dockery were good fits but they were too expensive for their talent level and did not improve on what little talent they had. These are just a couple of examples of bad ones but Mitchell and the cornerback that we picked up from SD (name?) had a great year once he moved into the starting lineup so there are some good players, but the truth of the matter is that most free agents don't have much impact on the teams that they go to and the teams that they go to pay/overpay to get them.

Now if you were to take ten scouts that really understood college/professional football and you were going to pay them mileage for their vehicle or buy them one and expense their gas, pay for plane tickets, hotels, college game tickets and research hourly time, how much do you think that could cost if you knew that the money you were investing in these extra scouts (in addition to the ones you have)? The answer is probably much less than a big time free agent like a Peppers or someone at his level.

My point is that I would rather get the draft right by fronting the money and making sure that your picks are as perfect as you can make them, then spending money to fix the messes that you made in the draft. True Bills and football fans know that it is better to be patient and get a good fit than to fly off the handle and overpay someone that raises the bar and upsets the really talented players (Peters). Because the new administration is new, I will give them the benefit of my doubts but we have all been taken before and they better be aware that patience is going to be thin with the draft choices and free agents.