New York Times Football Blog

While the guy hits the nail on the head for several things this part is just idiotic;

Rookie FS Jairus Byrd wasn’t quite as dynamic as his numbers would indicate – a few of his league-leading nine interceptions were gimme picks – but showed promising range.

A player doesn't rack up 9 int's in 11 starts by being lucky. Byrd put himself in a position to be at the right place at the right time. His field awareness is what led to 9 int's. His first 5 could possibly be argued as being lucky but after making 3 picks against the Jets in his fourth start teams were trying to avoid him. JMO

The other thing I disagree with;

TE should be given another chance as a starter. I think his years under Jauron were not as much his fault as it was a very poor offensive coaching staff and nobody being able to protect him. It destroyed his confidence and if Gailey can rebuild that he has a chance of becoming a solid starter. JMO

I agree with your assessment on Byrd. His instincts were superb. The one quality that I like about Byrd is that when he had an opportunity to make a play (interception) he made it. That is the definition of an impact player. Especially for DBs there are not many opportunities for BIG plays which are in the category of game changing. He made more than his fair share for the defense. If our offense would have been more competent his interceptions would have resulted in being more meaningful.

There are few of us on the board who want to give TE an opportunity to earn a starting job. Most posters want to get rid of him for the sake of eliminating a player associated with the Jauron era. My position is that the line dramatically needs to be upgraded in order to fairly assess any qb prospect. Nothing positive is going to be accomplished until the line plays at a more professional level. Last year TE was battered and bruised. Not only was his confidence shakened but so was his body. In addition, the offensive schemes were so primitive and basic that the defense knew exactly what the play was going to be before the ball was snapped. No qb was going to prevail with such coaching dysfunction.

I have heard Tod McShay say on more than a few occasions when discussing the Bills that before you expend a primary pick on a qb you have to have a credible OL in place to afford any qb a reasonable chance to succeed. Allen Wilson the reporter who covers the Bills for the Buffalo News has on more than a few occasions stated that it doesn't matter who the qb is if the OL is a non functioning line. It's time to get this OL properly staffed so the team can then move on and address the other multiple needs.

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Got it off of PFT.

The writer, Andy Benoit, is young but acclaimed. Before criticizing him for not being an ex-scout, GM, etc. read the piece. It's quite short but I think the takes are pretty accurate and at least, backup many of the opinions voiced on this board. At the same time, they're the opinions of an "outsider" and that's what makes it interesting.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03...-film-revealed/

Nothing earth shaking but thought you'd all be interested. And his opinions are based upon video review.

Acclaimed? He's a blogger. Hell, I'm old but acclaimed then. I say we're going to help ourselves by picking up a mid level FA or two and draft smartly. That's the plan and all of you who want the big FA splash, go back and revel in Donahoe's FA whirlwind. You'll end up back here.

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that Byrd missed most of the off-season and training camp recovering from his surgery, and wasn't 100% anytime last season. Which makes his 9 picks all the more impressive.

Acclaimed? He's a blogger. Hell, I'm old but acclaimed then. I say we're going to help ourselves by picking up a mid level FA or two and draft smartly. That's the plan and all of you who want the big FA splash, go back and revel in Donahoe's FA whirlwind. You'll end up back here.

Here's the stuff I found on Andy Benoit:

"Andy Benoit, 23, is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com. He is a regular contributor to the NY Times Fifth Down blog, and his NFL preview book series Touchdown, is in its 13th year.

Andy’s writing has drawn praise from legendary sports media personalities such as ESPN’s Chris Berman and Rick Reilly, NBC’s John Madden, NFL Films’s Steve Sabol and Monday Night Football’s Tony Kornheiser. Andy has appeared nationally on several television and radio programs and has drawn recognition in many noteworthy publications, including Newsweek and The New Yorker. He has written for several national media outlets, most recently doing a weekly Sunday Night Football feature for NBCSports.com."

For a 23 year old, that's a pretty good start to a career.

As for your profile pic, that's not the original "Green Lightning" by artist Billie Lawless. So no, you're not acclaimed. :)

Regarding Byrd and the degree to which luck was involved in his interceptions...remember that his dad, Gill Byrd was a Pro Bowl cornerback who finished his career with 42 interceptions. In fact, Gill Byrd is still the all-time leader in interceptions for the San Diego Chargers.

Jairus Byrd's mentor was Aeneas Williams who was an 8-time Pro Bowl cornerback who finished his career with 55 interceptions.

Keep in mind also that in 39 college games played, Jairus Byrd had 17 interceptions (one pick every 2.29 games) and an incredible 53 passes defensed.

I personally feel luck had only a little bit to do with Jairus Byrd's interception total. True ballhawks always seem to be in the right place at the right time. Now as far as his tackling? He needs a LOT of work on that.

Here's the stuff I found on Andy Benoit:

"Andy Benoit, 23, is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com. He is a regular contributor to the NY Times Fifth Down blog, and his NFL preview book series Touchdown, is in its 13th year.

Andy’s writing has drawn praise from legendary sports media personalities such as ESPN’s Chris Berman and Rick Reilly, NBC’s John Madden, NFL Films’s Steve Sabol and Monday Night Football’s Tony Kornheiser. Andy has appeared nationally on several television and radio programs and has drawn recognition in many noteworthy publications, including Newsweek and The New Yorker. He has written for several national media outlets, most recently doing a weekly Sunday Night Football feature for NBCSports.com."

For a 23 year old, that's a pretty good start to a career.

As for your profile pic, that's not the original "Green Lightning" by artist Billie Lawless. So no, you're not acclaimed. :wallbash:

Regarding Byrd and the degree to which luck was involved in his interceptions...remember that his dad, Gill Byrd was a Pro Bowl cornerback who finished his career with 42 interceptions. In fact, Gill Byrd is still the all-time leader in interceptions for the San Diego Chargers.

Jairus Byrd's mentor was Aeneas Williams who was an 8-time Pro Bowl cornerback who finished his career with 55 interceptions.

Keep in mind also that in 39 college games played, Jairus Byrd had 17 interceptions (one pick every 2.29 games) and an incredible 53 passes defensed.

I personally feel luck had only a little bit to do with Jairus Byrd's interception total. True ballhawks always seem to be in the right place at the right time. Now as far as his tackling? He needs a LOT of work on that.

Whether Benoit is young or old, inexperienced or experienced, established credentials or not, really doesn't matter. His basic point that the Bills are a team with many needs. How can anyone disagree with something that is so blatantly obvious? There is little doubt that the Bills are one of the easiest teams to assess. In general, they stink in most areas.

You don't have to be an accomplished and recognized football analyst to judge the status of the Bills. Benoit assessments are on target. With the exception of his judgment on Byrd it is difficult to argue with his commentary. I'm confident that Buddy Nix and his staff are more objective about where the team actually stands compard to the clueless prior marketing staff and associates.