Do you tell people on FB and Twitter when you're not home?

Just Jack

Please Rob Me

The dark side of geo: PleaseRobMe.com

More than a social statement than an actual utility for aspiring Colton Harris-Moore* copycats, a new site called Please Rob Me has popped up to expose the potential pratfalls of the geolocation craze: If you're pushing a "check-in" from Gowalla, Brightkite, or Foursquare to a local restaurant out to your public Twitter stream, you're broadcasting that you aren't home. Which could be taken to mean that your home is ripe for burglary.

Please Rob Me

The dark side of geo: PleaseRobMe.com

More than a social statement than an actual utility for aspiring Colton Harris-Moore* copycats, a new site called Please Rob Me has popped up to expose the potential pratfalls of the geolocation craze: If you're pushing a "check-in" from Gowalla, Brightkite, or Foursquare to a local restaurant out to your public Twitter stream, you're broadcasting that you aren't home. Which could be taken to mean that your home is ripe for burglary.

If you feel it necessary to broadcast to the world that you're stepping out for a drink or going and buy toilet paper at the local pharmacy, then I think getting robbed would teach you to shut the hell up.

If you feel it necessary to broadcast to the world that you're stepping out for a drink or going and buy toilet paper at the local pharmacy, then I think getting robbed would teach you to shut the hell up.

:P