Public Service Announcement: Daylight Savings

/dev/null

Springing ahead is so much easier - just hit the hour button once rather than 23 times...

True, but that's the only thing easier about it. Not sure what it is about this, but I'm always good with the fall-back thing, when it gets dark early, but I seem to chase this lost hour for 10-12 days before I get used to it.

Anyone know exactly why we do this Spring forward, Fall behind thing? I've heard 3 reasons and I don't buy any of them.

1. For the kiddies -safer when their on the street in the a.m.

2. Energy conservation

3. To help the farmers get the most out of sunlight hours in their fields.

All them have obvious holes in their theory and some states don't even play the clock change game.

S'up with this??

After my wife's constant reminders to our son to make sure he set his clock right so he wouldn't be late to work this morning, she set the bedroom clock ahead TWICE :P then insisted that it was the right time. Once she finally figured out the mistake, she got mad at ME because I was being a jerk by insisting that the clock was in fact wrong!

One thing for sure we'll be on time today for her St. Patrick's race in Denver! :wallbash:

True, but that's the only thing easier about it. Not sure what it is about this, but I'm always good with the fall-back thing, when it gets dark early, but I seem to chase this lost hour for 10-12 days before I get used to it.

Anyone know exactly why we do this Spring forward, Fall behind thing? I've heard 3 reasons and I don't buy any of them.

2. Energy conservation

All them have obvious holes in their theory and some states don't even play the clock change game.

S'up with this??

I've always heard that it was for the sake of farmers, as well.. which seems really outdated now, since most farm vehicles are equipped with lights, and whatnot.

2. Energy conservation

S'up with this??

I've always heard that it was for the sake of farmers, as well.. which seems really outdated now, since most farm vehicles are equipped with lights, and whatnot.

Originally it was #3, then when the goverment was going to make it standard, it was for #2. I never heard #1 being a reason.

Personally, I wish they'd just get rid of it. Pick a year and either spring forward or fall back 1/2 hour and call it done.

Farmers actually do not like it. They would get up at sunrise anyway. They do not need a trick to do so. The problem that dairy farmers have is that the milk truck comes at a different real time, but the cow expects to be milked at the same time as before.

The reason for it is for energy conservation, which are dubious based on recent studies. Though there was some argument for extending it to Halloween so that there can be daylight trick-or-treating, it is darker in the morning now meaning that more children will be waiting for the bus in the dark this morning. It is hard to see how it overall improves safety for children.

Farmers actually do not like it. They would get up at sunrise anyway. They do not need a trick to do so. The problem that dairy farmers have is that the milk truck comes at a different real time, but the cow expects to be milked at the same time as before.

The reason for it is for energy conservation, which are dubious based on recent studies. Though there was some argument for extending it to Halloween so that there can be daylight trick-or-treating, it is darker in the morning now meaning that more children will be waiting for the bus in the dark this morning. It is hard to see how it overall improves safety for children.

I agree. This is what makes that arguement daft (?!) On the other hand, Trick or Treating in the first days of early dark was a lot more fun, than the current sunshine.