Vikings sign Jimmy Kennedy

Who wants a guy who'd rather ride the bench on a winner than get a chance to start on a rebuild? Guy sounds like a candy ass to me.

A superbowl ring doesn't mean that much when you're only contribution was fetching water for the guys on the field.

They invited him to Buffalo, probably team paid for, to see if he'd be willing to play for them. It's not Kennedy's fault that he's 30 and doesn't want to go through a lengthy rebuild, which is what the Bills are now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that the Browns have probably made more bad moves than us these past few years. The difference is that the owner goes out and hires someone with serious credibility. Swoosh - FAs and players suddenly believe.

I don't doubt that Nix and Gailey have some skill sets. But whether they have enough juice and credibility to inspire and convince folks that things will turn around is an entirely different matter. We can sit around here and say well they just need to draft well and win games and everything will be OK. But the truth is people inside *and* outside the franchise need to believe we'll turn it around. That doesn't happen by hiring marginally successful guys and inserting them into leadership roles and hoping/believing they will succeed.

It happens by hiring an inspiring leader and giving him the tools to succeed. Cleveland is making some moves that if Nix/Gailey made them we'd be questioning their sanity. But because it's Holmgren he is being given the benefit of the doubt. It's called credibility.

Right now we as a franchise just don't have it. Sure it will come by winning. But I'll wager a beer that no one currently outside of the two of them believe it will happen. That's the problem.

Cale, I won't argue with...before the Nix hire I suggested that it might be important to bring in a big name coach and/or GM for the sake of restoring some organizational credibility. But remember that this is not a failsafe strategy either. George Seifert flopped in Carolina. Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs, and Steve Spurrier couldn't turn the Redskins around. And remember, it seems clear that this organization is not looking for any quick fixes. So organizational credibility for the sake of attracting a few free agents ( a few new, very nice deck chairs for the Titanic) has marginal value.

A LOT of FAs shop their services around, find the best (only) offer and bring it back to their own club to match. It's a relief for their own team's FO, because the OTHER team does the negotiating and gives the player and his team a sense of what the market value for his services is. Then they only have to decide if they want to match the offer or not.

This is used car salesmanship 101 folks. Nothing miraculous here. Move on.

No doubt, Nanker. We see it all the time. It's like a ritualistic mating dance. Everyone plays this game, players and clubs alike.

The joke is posts like this. Suddenly Kennedy is worth the money now that he signed elsewhere.

If we had given him that contract, the posts would have been "What a joke - we bring in a 1st round bust and call it an answer at DT"

You've cracked TSW code...

They invited him to Buffalo, probably team paid for, to see if he'd be willing to play for them. It's not Kennedy's fault that he's 30 and doesn't want to go through a lengthy rebuild, which is what the Bills are now.

And he's perfectly entitled to that. I still wouldn't want a guy who'd rather ride the bench and bask in someone else's glory than get a chance to start.