First my Facebook account, now my credit card...

Got a call from Capital One the other day - apparently someone in Virginia Beach tried to use MY credit card 3 times. All 3 were denied, as my wife and I were both charging in NY at the same time. But they said the card was physically swiped! So someone somehow has made a counterfeit/duplicate of my card.

Best I can figure is that when we were in the Bahamas and gave the card to someone to buy something, they wrote down all the info and then sold it to someone who has the technology to make dupes.

So the good news is that no charges were made, the bad news is that I have no credit card until a new one arrives (we only carry 1 card).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, what you fell victim to was a "skimmer".

This is an electronic device that can swipe a card and retrieve the information stored on the magnetic strip.

The unscrupulous waiter has one is small enough to be carried on his person. He can swipe your card at the same time that he legitimately sipes your card on the restaurant equipment. Then, armed with this information, they can create a duplicate card that has all the features of your original card.

Actually, what you fell victim to was a "skimmer".

This is an electronic device that can swipe a card and retrieve the information stored on the magnetic strip.

The unscrupulous waiter has one is small enough to be carried on his person. He can swipe your card at the same time that he legitimately sipes your card on the restaurant equipment. Then, armed with this information, they can create a duplicate card that has all the features of your original card.

Very likely it was skimmed. ATM skimmers are becoming quite popular, too. Some stores (usually smaller bodega-type stores) who have their own machines install skimmers to steal numbers. Other times they are placed on ATMs by outsiders. It is very hard to spot a skimmer as they have become pretty stealthy:

http://consumerist.com/2009/04/reader-find...n-bank-atm.html

http://boingboing.net/2010/01/16/atm-skimmer----could.html

http://consumerist.com/2009/04/id-an-atm-skimmer.html

If you're going to have something stolen, your credit card is the best thing though -- even if the bad guys charged stuff, you'd be responsible for at most $50 (and 99% of the time, credit card companies eat those losses). So no harm, no foul. :thumbsup:

If you're going to have something stolen, your credit card is the best thing though -- even if the bad guys charged stuff, you'd be responsible for at most $50 (and 99% of the time, credit card companies eat those losses). So no harm, no foul. <_<

Another thing I always do (seems obvious) is to look and see if any machines have stuff or add-ons attached... I have never seen one yet... But I bet they are (the tech) getting smaller and smaller. Funny, it got me thinking about this scene:

Hello Mr. Gopher. Yeah it's me, just a squirrel. Just a squirrel, not a plastic explosive, nothing to be worried about. Hey, Mr. golpher its me Mr. squirrel I am just popping in to see ya. (and blow you up) Ohh the wires? Don't worry about those wires it's just doctor's orders.

:thumbsup:

How do we know this is the REAL Jay Rosen we're replying to? :thumbsup:

I think it is. My computer started to fry and smoke when I opened this thread.

BTW I went back to WNY last year and charged a drink (ok several drinks) on the plane and bought some gas when I got there and they put a freeze on my card. It was a hassle but I'm glad they keep that close of tabs on my account. So when I went back a couple of weeks ago I had to tell them about it. Once again a hassle but one I don't mind.

BTW I went back to WNY last year and charged a drink (ok several drinks) on the plane and bought some gas when I got there and they put a freeze on my card. It was a hassle but I'm glad they keep that close of tabs on my account. So when I went back a couple of weeks ago I had to tell them about it. Once again a hassle but one I don't mind.

Yep it's a pain but I'm glad they do it. We tell them now when we're going away...

YEP!

Totally agree... I think Fez said the banks have programs that help them. A couple of Christmas' ago I went out spending like a drunken sailor all over the place... The shut the card off! Good for them :thumbsup:<_< Same thing when I got off second shift one time... Went to fill my car up with gas... Fine... Went home and decided to gas up the other... At about 1 in the morning (just a few minutes apart from the other fill-up), I guess it raised red flags? A real pain in the butt, yet I am glad they keep track of that stuff.

I had two out of three cards being used on the same day. One was used in Atlanta at a Target, the other was used in Texas at an Amaco, and in Chicago at a McDonalds, within an hour of each other. One of the two cards is only used for work expenses, so gas stations, hotels, Home Depot/Lowes, never at ATMs. So I'm guessing it was one of the hotels I had stayed at more than one week, I probably used one card one week, and the other the following week.

As for the ATM skimmers, I've gotten in the habit of giving the card reader a good yank before putting my card in it at any ATM, including my own banks.

I had two out of three cards being used on the same day. One was used in Atlanta at a Target, the other was used in Texas at an Amaco, and in Chicago at a McDonalds. One of the two cards is only used for work expenses, so gas stations, hotels, Home Depot/Lowes, never at ATMs. So I'm guessing it was one of the hotels I had stayed at more than one week, I probably used one card one week, and the other the following week.

As for the ATM skimmers, I've gotten in the habit of giving the card reader a good yank before putting my card in it at any ATM, including my own banks.

I know it is a little scary... But a while back Jewel (supermarkets here in Illinois) was using finger prints to pay for stuff. Stuff like that (even eye scan) isn't bad if you can only trust what they do with the information!

I know it is a little scary... But a while back Jewel (supermarkets here in Illinois) was using finger prints to pay for stuff. Stuff like that (even eye scan) isn't bad if you can only trust what they do with the information!

After watching Demolition Man, eye scanners will be rendered obselete <_<

(Unless the eye has to be attached to a living person)

Yup - most banks use a product called "Falcon Fraud Manager."

http://www.fico.com/en/Products/DMApps/Pag...ud-Manager.aspx

While you're at it, you might also want to subscribe to FICO's Scorewatch program. You can get a month for free - and you'll get your real FICO score (not the ones Equifax, Experian, and Trans-Union give you which isn't as accurate since most banks use the true FICO score). If anyone wants to sign up for longer than a month, send me a PM - I think I have some discounts available.

http://www.myfico.com/Default.aspx

YEP!

Totally agree... I think Fez said the banks have programs that help them. A couple of Christmas' ago I went out spending like a drunken sailor all over the place... The shut the card off! Good for them :thumbsup:<_< Same thing when I got off second shift one time... Went to fill my car up with gas... Fine... Went home and decided to gas up the other... At about 1 in the morning (just a few minutes apart from the other fill-up), I guess it raised red flags? A real pain in the butt, yet I am glad they keep track of that stuff.

Yup - most banks use a product called "Falcon Fraud Manager."

http://www.fico.com/en/Products/DMApps/Pag...ud-Manager.aspx

While you're at it, you might also want to subscribe to FICO's Scorewatch program. You can get a month for free - and you'll get your real FICO score (not the ones Equifax, Experian, and Trans-Union give you which isn't as accurate since most banks use the true FICO score). If anyone wants to sign up for longer than a month, send me a PM - I think I have some discounts available.

http://www.myfico.com/Default.aspx

Thanks!

I never really took a look at my FICO... EVER! I am just indifferent... But it would be interesting to see because I don't have credit. The only thing I have on credit is my house mortgage and I hope to pay that off in the next decade. Everything else is cash in or cash out. I know it sounds scary, we/I haven't used a credit card in over 10 years! :thumbsup:

I am such a Luddite... I do finally have a wireless router and laptop! Kicked my dial-up after almost 12 years! <_<

Yep it's a pain but I'm glad they do it. We tell them now when we're going away...

Rochester D&C

July 2010

Pittsford, NY home burglarized by credit card call center representative. :P

LOL!!

Sorry (really) about the id theft hassles.

Rochester D&C

July 2010

Pittsford, NY home burglarized by credit card call center representative. :P

LOL!!

Sorry (really) about the id theft hassles.

I know, right? Or it could be my mailman or newspaper delivery guy.