The Pacific (miniseries)

To late. Next will be a in depth analysis of Douglas MacArthur's pipe tobacco.

Ah, Dugout Doug. A general who, in Europe in 1918, was criticized by the French for taking excessive casualties in battle. The only general in American history to win a Medal of Honor for abandoning an army in the field. After taking massive kickbacks from the Philippine government, of course. :ph34r:

He smoked cigars. The pipe was an affectation, like Patton's ivory-handled Colt revolvers.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Philosophical conundrum: if The Ego receives praise from people that The Ego itself thinks are beneath it, does that ultimately feed The Ego?

I think the answer to that question, from The Ego's point of view, can only be "I could have done a better job producing The Pacific than Tom Hanks."

Approaching it from a point of view that WW ll was a 'raciest" war put him at a handicap.

Hmmm. Philosophical conundrum: if The Ego receives praise from people that The Ego itself thinks are beneath it, does that ultimately feed The Ego?

I think the answer to that question, from The Ego's point of view, can only be "I could have done a better job producing The Pacific than Tom Hanks."

producing means got people to fund "The Pacific." Producing means getting talent like Carl Franklin to film "the Pactific." Film doesn't get made without top notch movie star attached to project. You could have done a better job as technical adviser. But people like you and me as producer means "The Pacific" is 10 hours of some dude ranting in a guy's backyard and filmed with a camcorder. Also, nobody sees it.

He smoked cigars. The pipe was an affectation, like Patton's ivory-handled Colt revolve

Except Patton actually used his revolver(s) while chasing Pancho Villas boys down south.

Approaching it from a point of view that WW ll was a 'raciest" war put him at a handica

Raciest?

Well partly true. American troops visited bordellos and the Japanese used 'comfort women."

I think the answer to that question, from The Ego's point of view, can only be "I could have done a better job producing The Pacific than Tom Hanks

Perhaps you could give Dale Dye a hand also.

Raciest?

Well partly true. American troops visited bordellos and the Japanese used 'comfort women."

His words not mine.

Appearing on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on March 5, Hanks said that “The Pacific” depicts a war of “racism and terror” and asked the interviewer if that sounded "familiar to what we might be going through today."

Racist? Well if any combatant in the Pacific was racist, the Japanese get my vote. Non Japanese captives were treated as non-human (Bataan death march, captured Naval aviators being chained and dropped over the sides of Japanese naval vessels) Non Japanese non combatants were treated with supreme brutality (Nanking).

These episodes were of course accentuated and amplified by American war propaganda to inflame the American public to a white hot hatred. So, if racism existed on the American side during WW2, it is understandable. This does not (in my opinion) justify the internment of American citizens of Japanese descent in camps like Manzanaar.

FYI....full episodes can be watched at hbo.com, you just have to register with name and email. I plan on watching the first one over the weekend, don't necessarily care for watching on my PC though. Any suggestions for piping PC feeds to TV? Will it work fine with just a cable? or is there software involved?

FYI....full episodes can be watched at hbo.com, you just have to register with name and email. I plan on watching the first one over the weekend, don't necessarily care for watching on my PC though. Any suggestions for piping PC feeds to TV? Will it work fine with just a cable? or is there software involved?

I just use a cable and it seems to work just fine. Not quite as clear as I hope but I can definitely deal with it. A VGA, S-Video, or HDMI (depending on computer) cable would work.

I'm not a war historian so seeing things blow up and get shot in HD entertained me. The one thing I did have a slight problem with is they really didn't develop the main characters much. Hopefully they will in future episodes but you don't really have any connection to anyone in particular.

Sorry, didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this was already said...a review I read before the first installment aired, said not to get too attached to the "main characters" because most don't last halfway through...

producing means got people to fund "The Pacific." Producing means getting talent like Carl Franklin to film "the Pactific." Film doesn't get made without top notch movie star attached to project. You could have done a better job as technical adviser. But people like you and me as producer means "The Pacific" is 10 hours of some dude ranting in a guy's backyard and filmed with a camcorder. Also, nobody sees it.

:worthy:

I suspect if DC had that role the series would have all the charm of a industrial safety movie.

or worse-"Windtalkers"

That and U571 are two movies I absolutely refuse to see, as I could tell from the commercials that the complete unreality of them would bug the living hell out of me.

The Thin Red Line at least was reasonably realistic...but my God, what an incomprehensible swamp of a film. :worthy: Whoever thought externalizing Nick Nolte's internal monologue was a good idea has a seat reserved in the same circle of hell that Roland Emmerich's going to.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been keeping up with the show? I thought the second episode was pretty good, especially Basilone mowing down all those Japs. The third episode was kinda weak IMO. I did, however, enjoy all the Marines getting wasted and then getting woken up early the next morning in formation only to be throwing up and falling over, even the officers. I thought it was pretty comical.

Anybody been keeping up with the show? I thought the second episode was pretty good, especially Basilone mowing down all those Japs. The third episode was kinda weak IMO. I did, however, enjoy all the Marines getting wasted and then getting woken up early the next morning in formation only to be throwing up and falling over, even the officers. I thought it was pretty comical.

I think it was a good epidode. They're finally starting to develop the characters. As someone said in an earlier post they weren't really letting us get to know the characters.