The Pacific (miniseries)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read Bergerud's books. (Fire in the Sky and Touched With Fire - the last I know is still in print, as I've seen it recently). Great books, particularly the second. I suspect you'd like them.

Also Richard B. Frank's Guadalcanal is a pretty authoritative history...albiet more from an operational point-of-view.

I just bought "Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific" at Amazon / good reviews

The superb account rendered so graphically in this book educates a new generation of readers as to the horrific practical realities involved in the Allied island-hopping strategy

at the moment I'm reading through

Disaster at Savo Island, 1942by Lieutenant Colonel David E. QuantockUnited States Army

I just bought "Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific" at Amazon / good reviews

at the moment I'm reading through

Disaster at Savo Island, 1942by Lieutenant Colonel David E. QuantockUnited States Army

Because I want to learn about the Battle of Savo from a short colonel. :wallbash:

Although the naval history of the War of 1812 was written by a cavalry officer who managed to forget to pack his unit's horses (Teddy Roosevelt - seriously, the charge up San Juan Hill was on foot, contrary to the painting), so I shouldn't be so cynical.

M! Garand, The m1 sakinaw actually it's a Saginaw (carbine already field tested and used by the Raiders and Paramarines), The Thompkins um that would be a THompson (I don't know about that magazine clip/maybe), and the M50 which replaces the Tommy Gun the m50, especially with the folding stock does look like a carbine. the m3 replaces/supplements the THompson color] (was issued to the 1st in New Zealand prior to Gaudal...guess it can look like an M1 carbine, from a movie point)

One point I thought rediculous was when those Bozo's decided to go to the shore and watch the Japanese ships off shore...Who by the way were looking right back at them and saying in Japanese "look at those Bozo's on the beach".

Read Leckies book: Helmet for my pillow

Read Bergerud's books. (Fire in the Sky and Touched With Fire - the last I know is still in print, as I've seen it recently). Great books, particularly the second. I suspect you'd like them.

Also Richard B. Frank's Guadalcanal is a pretty authoritative history...albiet more from an operational point-of-view.

Fantastic author, and an expert on the Imperial Japan. I have just read his analysis of the planned 1945-1946 Allied invasion of the home islands (Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire) and it was terrific. Highly recommended...

Fantastic author, and an expert on the Imperial Japan. I have just read his analysis of the planned 1945-1946 Allied invasion of the home islands (Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire) and it was terrific. Highly recommended...

For two excellent fictional accounts of the invasion of JApan, read: 'The Burning Mountain' and 'Lighter than a feather'

M! Garand, The m1 sakinaw actually it's a Saginaw (carbine already field tested and used by the Raiders and Paramarines), The Thompkins um that would be a THompson (I don't know about that magazine clip/maybe), and the M50 which replaces the Tommy Gun the m50, especially with the folding stock does look like a carbine. the m3 replaces/supplements the THompson color] (was issued to the 1st in New Zealand prior to Gaudal...guess it can look like an M1 carbine, from a movie point)

I didn't see it. Was this something you saw/heard in the film? Sakinaw? My God they should get that right. Saginaw has only made steering box's for GM for 80 year's.

I didn't see it. Was this something you saw/heard in the film? Sakinaw? My God they should get that right. Saginaw has only made steering box's for GM for 80 year's.

Saginaw was one of many companies that churned out cabines.

I am aware of that. I just wondered why you pointed out the "sakinaw" spelling/pronunciation.

For the same reason I pointed out the submachine gun was called 'Thompson, not Thomkins'