Cleveland

BillsPride12

This thread was inspired by the Pittsburgh one, I've never been to the Burgh but I have visited Cleveland many times and really have a warm spot for that city. It reminds me so much of Buffalo but everything is just a little bit nicer and has more of a "big-city" feel. Have always been treated great by the locals there, have been to many great restaurants, toured the city, been on a great boat ride on Lake Erie, toured Jacobs field and many other cool things. For any WNYer's who never have been there before I highly recommend making a trek over there because its so close to home and fairly cheap. Anybody else enjoy Cleveland as much as I do?

This thread was inspired by the Pittsburgh one, I've never been to the Burgh but I have visited Cleveland many times and really have a warm spot for that city. It reminds me so much of Buffalo but everything is just a little bit nicer and has more of a "big-city" feel. Have always been treated great by the locals there, have been to many great restaurants, toured the city, been on a great boat ride on Lake Erie, toured Jacobs field and many other cool things. For any WNYer's who never have been there before I highly recommend making a trek over there because its so close to home and fairly cheap. Anybody else enjoy Cleveland as much as I do?

Guess Not!

Love Cleveland, usually go 4 or 5 times a year....Mallorca's is my favorite restaurant by far, fantastic service and food!

I'm going back to Buffalo for a wedding this summer. We're going to do the maid of the mist and spend a day and night in Cleveland on the way back. Going to check out the R-n-R HOF. Do you have any other recommendations? Restaurants/brew pubs???

I'm going back to Buffalo for a wedding this summer. We're going to do the maid of the mist and spend a day and night in Cleveland on the way back. Going to check out the R-n-R HOF. Do you have any other recommendations? Restaurants/brew pubs???

Tour the Historical Society, the Science Museum, and the Albright-Knox art gallery. Visit the Robt. Moses power vista, and Old Ft. Niagara

Take a trip through City Hall - what an art deco architectural marvel!

Take a ride over the Skyway. A stroll through the Forest Lawn Cemetery grounds. A chocolate soda at Parkside Candies.

Buy some sponge candy. And concord grapes if they are in season. If you are driving, have/buy a cooler and get quantities of Salens' skin dogs, Webers' mustard, and loganberry concentrate to take back. Forget bringing back wings - any fool can buy and cook them well locally and hot sauces are available everywhere. Same with Beef on Weck.

Tour the Historical Society, the Science Museum, and the Albright-Knox art gallery. Visit the Robt. Moses power vista, and Old Ft. Niagara

Take a trip through City Hall - what an art deco architectural marvel!

Take a ride over the Skyway. A stroll through the Forest Lawn Cemetery grounds. A chocolate soda at Parkside Candies.

Buy some sponge candy. And concord grapes if they are in season. If you are driving, have/buy a cooler and get quantities of Salens' skin dogs, Webers' mustard, and loganberry concentrate to take back. Forget bringing back wings - any fool can buy and cook them well locally and hot sauces are available everywhere. Same with Beef on Weck.

Those are all great suggestions and you hit on all of the WNY staples that are hard to find elsewhere, but I was looking for things to do/see in the land of Cleve.

Growing up in Erie, PA, I had an opportunity to experience Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo

Now if you can get over that little funny accent that folks from the 'Burgh have...

When you go to the cities and experience the culture...

When you talk to the people that live there...

You realize the only difference is which football team they root for.

How long did it take to go through the HOF?

I always found the best/only good thing about the HOF is the record store gift shop thing that's attached to it. Over priced, but they have some amazing and hard to find stuff/ The near perfect old school Cleveland punk band Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments had a great song about burning down the HOF for sanitizing rock and roll. A big part of me agrees. Seeing Ted Nugent's loincloth in a plexiglass display isn't exactly the most rock and roll thing out there. Although annoyed by its very existence I have been there like 5 times.

Still hard not to be wowed by all that history though. Also, apparently KISS was comprised of four very short men. I learned that at the HOF. They also have some very tasteless displays, like remnants of Buddy Holly and Otis Redding's respective plane crashes. very intense for those who (like me) still hold a grudge against gravity for killing the king of soul.

For any rock and roll tourists I'd suggest the Stax Soul Museum in Memphis. Very very cool set up and only $7.

That's good to know. Do you have any suggestions for other things to do in Cleveland?

what do you like to do? See rock and roll live? eat good food? watch sports? buy records?

I can hep you to restaurants, record stores and live music venues mostly. Nice art museum there as well. You haven't lived until you've seen a Jackson Pollack canvas in person.