All things being equal...or not.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To date, I've called Wisconsin and Meazza racists. Maybe keepthefaith. Not you. Not cincy. And Wisc chimed in on this thread and he's racist number 1, leading a white power charge over here at PPP at the moment.

Like I said before, the second dumbest thing about this story is Coke, which like every big corporation, gets freaked out at even the whiff of racism. The story--read it again--plays off hype generated by Internet commenters. It's an absurd article. Like if CNN covered a debate at PPP. "In news today, John Adams is a smug !@#$, Magox quotes Bloomberg.com, and conner licked a window." Since when are Internet commenters news?

Well, sadly internet commentors are very much news -- they call them 'bloggers'. But that's another story for another day.

Yes, of course the article is absurd and stupid, as are the internet commenters that were quoted. And of course Coke did it to avoid backlash among its black customers. But the bottom line is someone had to change the results of a contest because the team that won was the 'wrong color', and it doesn't get any more racist than that.

From another blog:

WSJ - Best of the Web March 8, 2010

Yet the episode does point to an aspect in which racial progress has been deficient. In this day and age, it is difficult to imagine the step-dancing situation in reverse--i.e., a black person or team excelling in a traditionally white activity and being met with racial hostility from educated young whites. Surely the reason for this has something to do with what young people are taught about race.

Today's rules of racial etiquette are not reciprocal. Whites are taught to respect blacks, but blacks are not taught to respect whites. When one describes it this way and considers it in the context of America's racial history, the lack of reciprocity makes a certain amount of sense. "Black people should respect white people" carries connotations of subservience, whereas "white people should respect black people" is no more than an exhortation to treat others as equals.

But those connotations are vestigial. Today no one other than the occasional kook thinks that blacks should be treated as anything less than full citizens. American race relations are better than they've ever been, but they could still benefit from a revival of the Golden Rule.

Of course not. You probably use spook, darkie, ape, gator bait, coon, jig, jungle bunny, porch monkey, and spade all the time. But never "!@#$".

Actually, I think he prefers "non-white."

You reminded me of this classic SNL scene between Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor.

I agree almost 100% but the WSJ is disingenuous to argue that only rubes are racist. How about golf? A relatively white sport where most country clubs at the highest end only recently started allowing black members.

Most of those country clubs wouldn't let me near the front door, and I'm a cracker. So fuggen what? It's a MONEY thing, not a "hey, let's keep the brother out" thing.

Most of those country clubs wouldn't let me near the front door, and I'm a cracker. So fuggen what? It's a MONEY thing, not a "hey, let's keep the brother out" thing.

Are you suggesting that there aren't any rich black people who might want to join a golf club that can't get through the 'Membership Committee"?

Well duh. You live in Wisconsin.

:doh:

But wait a sec, didn't Lofton and White used to play for Green Bay? Mr. Wisconsin must have had a heck of a time w/ that. All those guys messin' up Coach Lombardi's squad.