Denver's offseason

Justice

People around here make it like the cupboard is bare when it comes to free agents, but according to Denver's free agent class, I'd have to disagree. Bannan, J. Williams, and Jarvis Green were all signed to run the Broncos' 3-4 defense.

We could've used two of those guys, especially Green and Williams. Williams is the run stuffer we so desperately need and Green can get to the QB from the DE position, which is rare in a 34.

Believe it or not, I do have faith in Buddy Nix. I think he will do a helluva job in the draft, but it would be nice to see us supplement our roster with some free agents. If we at least signed a couple of guys like I mentioned above, it would give us more flexibility in the draft and allow us to take the best player available rather than draft for need.

People around here make it like the cupboard is bare when it comes to free agents, but according to Denver's free agent class, I'd have to disagree. Bannan, J. Williams, and Jarvis Green were all signed to run the Broncos' 3-4 defense.

We could've used two of those guys, especially Green and Williams. Williams is the run stuffer we so desperately need and Green can get to the QB from the DE position, which is rare in a 34.

Believe it or not, I do have faith in Buddy Nix. I think he will do a helluva job in the draft, but it would be nice to see us supplement our roster with some free agents. If we at least signed a couple of guys like I mentioned above, it would give us more flexibility in the draft and allow us to take the best player available rather than draft for need.

Bannan is a former Bills player that Buf didn't want to re-sign when he left. He also wanted to re-locate as close as possible to Colorado, since he wants to live there permanently after he retires (former Colorado player) and most of his family is now within 2 hrs of him.

Jamal Williams is now being paid about the same, if not a little more to play his old team twice a year and not be too far from his old home in SD.

Jarvis Green has experience with the system 3-4 wise McDaniels wants in Denver and gets paid more than the Pats presumably offered while not having to play his former team (which he has no animosity toward, like Williams for instance) at most a few times every couple of years.

Don't forget they're all at or approaching 30, so they want to build something for a retirement. And that's not even factoring in that some of their wives/spouses wouldn't want to move to Buffalo Shanahan style.

How do you feel about the Cutler trade last year How about the tentative Marshall trade this year? Not much doubt that they have gone backwards.

How do you feel about the Cutler trade last year How about the tentative Marshall trade this year? Not much doubt that they have gone backwards.

The Cutler trade, right or wrong, was a trade they had to make. Cutler forced his way out and Marshall??? Well, that's another story with the same ending.

Personally, I wouldn't part ways with either one of those guys, but Denver had no choice.

Bannan was a Bill once and servicable. Not the answer. Green....maybe. But Jamal Williams would have looked great in a Bills uni. Wish Buddy would have pulled the trigger on that. The guy is a beast. He would give us some years to groom a successor at NT.

The inactivity doesn't bother me. Signing those players gets us to 7-9 for the next 3 years. Maybe the lockout has something to do with holding back in free agency. If someone signs a 2 years contract this year and they don't play in 2011, has the contract expired?

Nix and Gailey have said multiple times that this team is closer than we think. Well they're putting their money where their mouth's are.

I would love to believe that, but we have no real DE or NT, for that matter, to run the 34. We also lack two OLBs that have experience in the 3-4 defense. On top of all that, we also need a couple of O-lineman, a QB and a WR or two.

That's far too many holes to fill with the draft, alone.

Green and Williams seem like they would have been obvious fits for this team. Who knows if the Bills tried to reach out to them or not? IMO, expect the Bills to be inactive in FA for a couple of years. I really think they intend to build through the draft and add FA after a core is built. They have insinuated that this is their plan and style.

The inactivity doesn't bother me. Signing those players gets us to 7-9 for the next 3 years. Maybe the lockout has something to do with holding back in free agency. If someone signs a 2 years contract this year and they don't play in 2011, has the contract expired?

Good question, I don't have the answer, to tell you the truth.

What are the differences, contract wise, when there is a strike vs a lock-out? Anybody know?

Good question, I don't have the answer, to tell you the truth.

What are the differences, contract wise, when there is a strike vs a lock-out? Anybody know?

That's the big thing for the players B.harami - if there's a strike, they don't get paid. Same for a lockout. Which is why the League's 4 billion dollar war chest is going to lead to them having to suck it up and get this deal done.

That's the big thing for the players B.harami - if there's a strike, they don't get paid. Same for a lockout. Which is why the League's 4 billion dollar war chest is going to lead to them having to suck it up and get this deal done.

Therefore the missed year doesn't count at all?