Derek Anderson blasts Browns fans...

Buftex

something tells me I'm gonna regret this...

TE said “I’m not a Bills fan. I’m a football player. I’m a Bills player here so I can’t really answer that question.” He meant that his role is that of a player, not a fan. He didn't mean that he's no fan of the Bills!

I had no problem with the statement other than it was a cop out answer on how terrible his play was and he wasn't manning up to it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problem with the statement other than it was a cop out answer on how terrible his play was and he wasn't manning up to it.

agreed, it was a dumb answer and he should definitely take more responsibility for his play in general. I'm just saying that it had nothing to do with him (literally) being a fan of the team or not.

I don't remember any cheers when Trent received one of his weekly injuries. I'd say Anderson has more reason to complain. And when Trent took the gloves off and announced he wasn't a Bills fan, how exactly was he taken out of context?

He was being asked a question about the perception that Bills fans have about the team, and answered, meaning that his perception was that of a player on the team, rather than a fan of the team, in other words, that his view of the situation is different, because he has more things to take into consideration, as a player on the team, as opposed to a fan of the team. Surely, someone who gets their jollys out of mis-construing things that people say, intentionally, can understand this? But, no, like Drew Bledsoe saying "this is my team" a few years back, has been stretched and morphed into something that anyone with a brain in their skull would know, it wasn't intended to mean.

If you are trying to say (and because it is you, I am not going to get into some long protracted, nonsensical discussion/argument about this, I don't want you to run out of Kleenex) that Bills fans are somehow, as a group, more noble than Browns fans, in their childish distaste for the players on their team, you are very wrong.

I do. He's made very big bucks in a venue, one that he well knows how it goes.

Getting booed hurts, but you rise above it. It's just words...jerks in the stands defines the NFL. He's exposed himself as a petulant man...a crybaby in a tough - and very well-paying -sport.

So now he opens his trap when he is axed. Why not before? Because he coveted the $$$ and didn't want to get rolled down the staircase and shown the exit gate while the checks rolled in

This phony would never be on my team, regardless of any skills he has.

You're off base on this one, Cincy. I don't care what the guy earns; no one is deserving of a response like that. To clap and cheer when a guy gets injured is completely classless, and it especially disgusts me when I see it from fellow fans of my own team.

Anderson may not be bright to jeopardize potential future offers by badmouthing fans on the way out the door, but he has every right to be miffed at so-called fans of his former team. They bring a bad name to a generally proud and strong blue-collar fanbase.

And before you lecture everyone about what these guys get paid, remember that they have zero job security and that in the NFL, a contract is only a contract for the team signing it, and for the signing bonus for the player. These guys sign themselves up for a potential lifetime of physical ailments just to entertain us. I don't think they deserve what they make in general terms, but the NFL is a business where the owners make money hand-over-fist, and players are expendable commodities. I recommend reading Stefan Fatsis' Three Seconds of Panic for some more perspective. One needs not be further reminded about Ted Johnson or Mike Webster or Andre Waters for a less popular view of what the NFL is really about. It's the work of a genuine idiot to celebrate injuries in the game given these potentially deadly consequences.

You're off base on this one, Cincy. I don't care what the guy earns; no one is deserving of a response like that. To clap and cheer when a guy gets injured is completely classless, and it especially disgusts me when I see it from fellow fans of my own team.

Anderson may not be bright to jeopardize potential future offers by badmouthing fans on the way out the door, but he has every right to be miffed at so-called fans of his former team. They bring a bad name to a generally proud and strong blue-collar fanbase.

And before you lecture everyone about what these guys get paid, remember that they have zero job security and that in the NFL, a contract is only a contract for the team signing it, and for the signing bonus for the player. These guys sign themselves up for a potential lifetime of physical ailments just to entertain us. I don't think they deserve what they make in general terms, but the NFL is a business where the owners make money hand-over-fist, and players are expendable commodities. I recommend reading Stefan Fatsis' Three Seconds of Panic for some more perspective. One needs not be further reminded about Ted Johnson or Mike Webster or Andre Waters for a less popular view of what the NFL is really about. It's the work of a genuine idiot to celebrate injuries in the game given these potentially deadly consequences.

Indeed it is. But nobody - ever, at what ever level - made him go into the business of pro football. Show business.

He made his choices, garnered a tidy pile. It's not up to you or me to question his career path. I don't care about owners. If he thought that even with millions in his personal pocket, he was getting ripped off, he could find another trade to ply or not gotten into the biz in the first place.

What he did was lift his leg and sh*t upon the venue where he worked, the fans that ultimately paid him. And jerks they may well be, but they peel off the cash and watch the tv and buy products from those ads. That tv money flows to the NFL and the owners and the players because the ads sell products. Nice for him that he could afford to be so childish and unappreciative - few of us can...or even would do so, as a matter of principle.

I've certainly had disagreements with employers, and perhaps the type of business that employed me - but I never left uttering chip-on-my-shoulder comments. Not that I was in the public eye; he is and so If I had a club, or were a pro player, I would shun him. I could never trust him, fearing when he would turn again. Loyalty counts.

Like you mention or imply, football is a violent sport. I'm certain that somewhere along his career, he himself cut a player in the calves, poked a finger, hit anothers' vulnerable knee, and so on.

2 cents.

the bills are at the top of this list, unless we can all agree they are in 100% rebuilding/expansion team mode and going young and inexperienced is the way to go.. man, 2010 season is going to be awful.. who could buy season tickets this year? you have to be nuts.

Seattle is right behind. They just got rid of Seneca, now who backs up injury prone Hasselbeck? Plus, now that Carroll is HC, I wouldn't be surprised if they start to switch to more of a college spread style offense with Tebow.

Seattle is right behind. They just got rid of Seneca, now who backs up injury prone Hasselbeck? Plus, now that Carroll is HC, I wouldn't be surprised if they start to switch to more of a college spread style offense with Tebow.

Somebody on ESPN radio, earlier today, (sorry, could only half listen, not sure who it was) was speculating that Seattle might be interested in Donovan McNabb...

He was being asked a question about the perception that Bills fans have about the team, and answered, meaning that his perception was that of a player on the team, rather than a fan of the team, in other words, that his view of the situation is different, because he has more things to take into consideration, as a player on the team, as opposed to a fan of the team. Surely, someone who gets their jollys out of mis-construing things that people say, intentionally, can understand this? But, no, like Drew Bledsoe saying "this is my team" a few years back, has been stretched and morphed into something that anyone with a brain in their skull would know, it wasn't intended to mean.

If you are trying to say (and because it is you, I am not going to get into some long protracted, nonsensical discussion/argument about this, I don't want you to run out of Kleenex) that Bills fans are somehow, as a group, more noble than Browns fans, in their childish distaste for the players on their team, you are very wrong.

good job, you explained it better than I did... :rolleyes:

and DA apologizes...

"I said some things to [News-Herald reporter] Jeff Schudel earlier that I regret," Anderson said. "Those of you who got to know me personally from covering the Browns over the past five years, know this was out of character for me. I wasn't taken out of context, but I was speaking out of frustration after my career with the Browns came to a close.

His agent made him do that...

I have to agree that it was classless for a guy laying on the turf with a serious knee injury to have to hear cheers from his home town fans. Then again, I am not sure what Anderson accomplished by lambasting them.

Ouch! And we get worked up when Trent is taken completely out of context, saying he is "not a Bills fan"

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/09/derek-a...serve-a-winner/

He implies that Browns acted like Bills did when Rob Johnson was hurt. I think that QBs are hyped so much that when they fall they get automatic echoes of fall.

As for Derek Anderson, it sounds like Arizona is very interested. He could do well with a team that features a good O-line, and good receivers (wouldn't any QB?)....Arizona, even without Boldin, seems like a good place for him. I have to believe the Cardinals want to have some competition for Leinart....

During the season that Cleveland won 10 games and missed the playoffs, I was continually saying that Anderson's lack of ability to read a defense would be their undoing. I called the loss to Cincinnati. A game where he continually made the wrong read.

Anderson isn't nearly the QB that Trent Edwards was before the concussion, he probably isn't as good as Losman was either.