Gangland on History Channel

Pete

I like History Channel and all, but they run Gangland constantly. What does that have to do with history? And what is the point of the show? I do find it kind of compelling, but don't understand it. Gangs must love when History channel is showing them and bragging about how bad they are. It is almost a recruiting tool for wannabe gangsters and police alike. Any thoughts?

The show glorifies gang banging. It's a well done show and interesting to watch,but not in a good way. I feel like I'm looking at a car wreck or something. On the occasions I have watched it I try to use it to show my kids the stupidity and weakness of the gang lifestyle. But there's alot of young people watching that garbage on their own thinking it's cool.

History Channel's new slogan is "History Made Every Day"

Which gives them enough leeway to not show real history shows, like Gangland, American Pickers, Life After People, Pawn Stars, Ax Men, Nostradomus Effect, UFO Hunters, Monster Quest, etc

Unfortunately that's most of what they show now :wallbash:

Here's the show premise:

Show dated news clips of gang-related killings in black and white video

*cut to different scene using the sound of gun-shots and random images being flashed*

Interview "gang-member" (who we don't know is now a former gang member) and have him brag about how "If you get in the way of 'The West Side Yellow Tailed Thrashers' you gonna get smoked like them other fools."

*cut to different scene using the sound of gun-shots and random images being flashed*

Show home video of gang members wearing color-coordinated bandanas over their face while brandishing hand guns, throwing gang signs and yelling "West Side Yellow Tailed Thrashers For Life!"

Interview police spokesman who talks about how they infiltrated the gang with an undercover agent.

More gang violence videos with narrator talking about how the gang took over the entire city and police could nothing to prevent it.

Continue with same rotation as shown above but at the end show that the "gang member" is actually a FORMER member and is rehabilitated and now denounces gang life.... :unsure:

BTW, the premise for Life After People... talk about how bad humans are, how much better it would be if we were all dead and push Uncle Al's agenda. :lol:

Which gives them enough leeway to not show real history shows, like Gangland, American Pickers, Life After People, Pawn Stars, Ax Men, Nostradomus Effect, UFO Hunters, Monster Quest, etc

Unfortunately that's most of what they show now :unsure:

+1 - they are essentially yet another reality show network. I assume the costs of producing the show are very low.

Unfortunately that's most of what they show now :unsure:

The shows you mention here may or may not have entertainment value,depending on your personel taste. But none of them are harmful. Gangland is different in that it can be a destructive influence to some young people imo.

Unfortunately that's most of what they show now :rolleyes:

Hey, now! I actually enjoy "Pawn Stars" and, to a lesser extent, "American Pickers."

But yeah, I wish they would run the "American Presidents" series throughout the year. Awesome stuff.

History International and the Military Channel (my favorite) are still great for what the main History Channel now lacks. My DVR is chalked full of shows from those two channels. Hopefully one day I'll get them in HD.

Except the Military Channel is now showing non-military shows.

Between History Channel, Hist. Intl, Military Channel, Science Channel, Discovery Health, etc....Discovery may as well just rename all their channels "Discovery 1, Discovery 2, Discovery 3". :rolleyes: