Obviously The Draft Is The Only Way Bills Make It

There aren't many teams beside Indianapolis who can build wholly through the draft. It's taken them many years to do build and replace talent. The Bills don't have that kind of timeframe with their owner's age. A quick review around the NFL shows that perennial winners like NYG, GB, NE, BAL, SD, PHI, and NO aren't afraid to sign free agents.

Bills fans need to decide if 2-3 years is enough to wait for something that's not a guarantee, even with a "Top 5" talent evaluator at GM. I'm sorry, but anyone who's fine with another few years after 10 straight mediocre and worse seasons is what P.T. Barnum was talking about.

And fans that can't handle that is how things are going to be are why Midol was created.

What do all the guys on this link have in common...

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Free_...essive_5464.jsp

The Redskins spend a ton in Free agency...guess what? They draft AHEAD of us this year and no Superbowls. I guess building through the draft IS the best way. Ask NE, Pitt and Indy.

I never said anything about spending a ton, I just said you can't build solely through the draft. So you went from "only" way to build a team to "The Best" way to spend a team. Keep changing your words (and mine) to defend your obviously incorrect post. The last time I checked, the Patriots do use free agency, year after year. Just because they don't sign the big names, doesn't mean they don't utilize free agency. I have better things to do than search online to prove myself, but from my memory here are just a few to prove your point wrong:

Patriots: Mike Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Larry Izzo, Larry Centers, Sammy Morris, Junior Seau, David Patten

Colts: Jeff Saturday, Adam Vinatieri, Brandon Stokely, Ricky Proehl

Eagles: Jevon Kearse, Asante Samuel, Troy Vincent, Jon Runyan, T.O.

Your right, those 3 teams never use free agency to get better. What was I thinking?

The bills have always used free agency to help them out. This is an off year, not just for the bills, but for many teams. This is the worst offseason for free agency with all the rules.

The problem with the bills is not how much they paid or how many they signed, it is WHO they signed. They signed and traded for players a lot, and they rarely worked out.

you can say:

Patriots: Mike Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Larry Izzo, Larry Centers, Sammy Morris, Junior Seau, David Patten

Colts: Jeff Saturday, Adam Vinatieri, Brandon Stokely, Ricky Proehl

Eagles: Jevon Kearse, Asante Samuel, Troy Vincent, Jon Runyan, T.O.

But we can say: Bills: Dockery, walker, Beldsoe, Rob Johnson, flutie, T.O., Jackson, Spikes, Milloy, etc.

We always grabbed people in FA. A lot of ones that commanded some big $$$. The problem is a lot of them sucked or didn't live up to the high contract we paid them. Just because we aren't going big in Free Agency in the first 10 days in on of the worst Free agencies doesn't mean that this front office thinks they can only fix with the draft, won't sign more players, or whatever.

The bills have always used free agency to help them out. This is an off year, not just for the bills, but for many teams. This is the worst offseason for free agency with all the rules.

The problem with the bills is not how much they paid or how many they signed, it is WHO they signed. They signed and traded for players a lot, and they rarely worked out.

you can say:

But we can say: Bills: Dockery, walker, Beldsoe, Rob Johnson, flutie, T.O., Jackson, Spikes, Milloy, etc.

We always grabbed people in FA. A lot of ones that commanded some big $$$. The problem is a lot of them sucked or didn't live up to the high contract we paid them. Just because we aren't going big in Free Agency in the first 10 days in on of the worst Free agencies doesn't mean that this front office thinks they can only fix with the draft, won't sign more players, or whatever.

I agree with what you said except I thought Spike and Milloy were pretty good players. We had one of the best defense when they were playing here. Looking back at the Donahoe era, he was a lot better than Marv Levy and Russ Brandon in terms of FA he was able to find. I am a true believer that a team needs to have a strong GM to get better. I don't want to throw Nix under the bus already, but he would not be my choice for GM.