Obviously The Draft Is The Only Way Bills Make It

Aside from the fact that free agents don't look towards Buffalo, the organization has made it crystal clear that the draft is the way they will build this team again. I am guessing if they do it right, 2012 is the next time we talk about possibly making the playoffs (that is if they find a QB in 2010 draft that develops properly).

I am totally fine with this as long as the team stays in Buffalo. The hardest part about THIS rebuild is that I thought they found their franchise QB and LT over a year ago. If Peters and Edwards had kept progressing (and not complaining) this team would be light years ahead. The bottom line is that Bills fans HAVE to have realistic expectations and realize how many holes are still on this team.

Yeah, I don't know what all the moaning is about. Nix is signing a couple of placeholder guys until draftees mature. He knows, and we all should, that this a rebuild that should have been done properly 10 years ago. It will take time. We won't be in the playoffs this year or maybe even next. If they play better and show some life, I'll be happy until 2012.

BTW every FA is a restricted one right now. Signing top talent takes away big draft choices. Signing marginal talent to hold a spot and provide depth doesn't cost as much, especially when your stated goal is to build through the draft.

Yeah, I don't know what all the moaning is about. Nix is signing a couple of placeholder guys until draftees mature. He knows, and we all should, that this a rebuild that should have been done properly 10 years ago. It will take time. We won't be in the playoffs this year or maybe even next. If they play better and show some life, I'll be happy until 2012.

BTW every FA is a restricted one right now. Signing top talent takes away big draft choices. Signing marginal talent to hold a spot and provide depth doesn't cost as much, especially when your stated goal is to build through the draft.

Good point! :wallbash:

I think they are going to do great in the draft. They seem to be taking it pretty seriously. Since they are meeting with so many players, it seems like they are just leaving no stone unturned. I think Buddy is going to do pretty well and maybe get some good surprises in later rounds.

At least that is the most hopeful idea I have right now.

Well if your going with FAs wont be much of what the team will do, then the Bills better be one of the best drafting teams in the league and Bills certainly havent been.

Overall, you're right, though last year's draft looks pretty damn great, and that's why they made Nix GM.

I won't mind that much if they don't make it to the playoffs this year, but as long as they give us 100% effort for all the games, and i expect all the games to be " watchable", which is probably not going to be the case lol, but nevertheless, i am demanding to at least see some signs of progression from last year

Aside from the fact that free agents don't look towards Buffalo, the organization has made it crystal clear that the draft is the way they will build this team again. I am guessing if they do it right, 2012 is the next time we talk about possibly making the playoffs (that is if they find a QB in 2010 draft that develops properly).

I am totally fine with this as long as the team stays in Buffalo. The hardest part about THIS rebuild is that I thought they found their franchise QB and LT over a year ago. If Peters and Edwards had kept progressing (and not complaining) this team would be light years ahead. The bottom line is that Bills fans HAVE to have realistic expectations and realize how many holes are still on this team.

The problem with patience with this team is, there are just about the same amount of holes that there are every year, and it doesn't seem like they are making any progress filling them. There is no indication with the new FO and coaching staff that this year won't be even worse than last season. You need good drafts, no-you need great drafts to pull a team out of as deep of a hole as they have dug this franchise into, but you can't do it entirely through the draft. If you only use the draft when your team is as bad as the Bills are, by the time the players you draft develop they are ready to leave via free agency (see Nate Clements, Winfield, etc.), or you make no attempt to resign them (see Pat Williams, JimLLeonard) and you are just spinning your wheels. In order to win in today's NFL, you have to complement the draft with experience and proven talent that comes with free agency, and the Bills aren't doing that, which is why things won't change anytime soon at OBD. You say Bills fans have to have realistic expections, but then you say they can compete by 2012-kind of contradicting, because if the methods stay the say at OBD, we won't be any better in 2012 then we are now.

What do all the following players have in common:

Drew Brees

Lance Moore

Mike Bell

Pierre Thomas

Pierson Preleau

Jabari Greer

Darren Sharper

Heath Evans

Jonathan Vilma

Anthony Hargrove

Jeremy Shockey

Answer: They are just some of the players who started for the New Orleans Saints in 2009 and will be getting Super Bowl rings in a few months, yet weren't drafted by the Saints. You're right, you can only build a winner through the draft, free agency/trades are useless.

What do all the following players have in common:

Drew Brees

Lance Moore

Mike Bell

Pierre Thomas

Pierson Preleau

Jabari Greer

Darren Sharper

Heath Evans

Jonathan Vilma

Anthony Hargrove

Jeremy Shockey

Answer: They are just some of the players who started for the New Orleans Saints in 2009 and will be getting Super Bowl rings in a few months, yet weren't drafted by the Saints. You're right, you can only build a winner through the draft, free agency/trades are useless.

What do all the guys on this link have in common...

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Free_...essive_5464.jsp

The Redskins spend a ton in Free agency...guess what? They draft AHEAD of us this year and no Superbowls. I guess building through the draft IS the best way. Ask NE, Pitt and Indy.

The problem with patience with this team is, there are just about the same amount of holes that there are every year, and it doesn't seem like they are making any progress filling them. There is no indication with the new FO and coaching staff that this year won't be even worse than last season. You need good drafts, no-you need great drafts to pull a team out of as deep of a hole as they have dug this franchise into, but you can't do it entirely through the draft. If you only use the draft when your team is as bad as the Bills are, by the time the players you draft develop they are ready to leave via free agency (see Nate Clements, Winfield, etc.), or you make no attempt to resign them (see Pat Williams, JimLLeonard) and you are just spinning your wheels. In order to win in today's NFL, you have to complement the draft with experience and proven talent that comes with free agency, and the Bills aren't doing that, which is why things won't change anytime soon at OBD. You say Bills fans have to have realistic expections, but then you say they can compete by 2012-kind of contradicting, because if the methods stay the say at OBD, we won't be any better in 2012 then we are now.

Amen.

Somehow everyone feels we are going to start turning it around because we have a new GM and new coaches. Suddenly we are going to have great drafts and find players who will not only be at the top of their careers 3-4 years down the line, but will also still be with the Bills. What, besides blind faith and devotion to a team, leads anyone to believe that this is not only possible, but probable?

Over the past 10+ years I've seen GMs and coaches - some much more well regarded than Buddy and Chan - come in and produce the same crap we have to suck up every year. I'd really like to see us head in the right direction, but even if we do (and that's a big if), we are really far away from putting it all together and being competitive. I'll be happy if by 2012 we have a few first round draft picks on the team who are still worth first round draft picks and at least some decent free agents are even willing to talk to the Bills - right now the only FAs we can even talk to are guys who have very limited options.

Somehow everyone feels we are going to start turning it around because we have a new GM and new coaches. Suddenly we are going to have great drafts and find players who will not only be at the top of their careers 3-4 years down the line, but will also still be with the Bills. What, besides blind faith and devotion to a team, leads anyone to believe that this is not only possible, but probable?

Well, first, GM is where you always should start to turn a team around. Then coaching is the next step. Then comes the players.

What makes people feel good about Buddy is what he said and his record. He still has some to prove, but he has already proved a lot with his track record. When he said that he doesn't like to go out and sign big money free agents, he said the reason was that the team should give that money and reward players on the team that are already playing well. So basically, this makes bills fans feel like there won't be another pat williams mistake.

So, as long as buddy keeps to his word (i don't know why he wouldn't) we are going to draft good players like wood, levitre, byrd, and we are going to make a good effort to keep them. There is plenty of reason to believe this. First, he sounded really sure of it when he said it, and 2nd, he comes from a winning organization that has done it. It isn't a sure thing, but I like the upside.

There aren't many teams beside Indianapolis who can build wholly through the draft. It's taken them many years to do build and replace talent. The Bills don't have that kind of timeframe with their owner's age. A quick review around the NFL shows that perennial winners like NYG, GB, NE, BAL, SD, PHI, and NO aren't afraid to sign free agents.

Bills fans need to decide if 2-3 years is enough to wait for something that's not a guarantee, even with a "Top 5" talent evaluator at GM. I'm sorry, but anyone who's fine with another few years after 10 straight mediocre and worse seasons is what P.T. Barnum was talking about.

There aren't many teams beside Indianapolis who can build wholly through the draft. It's taken them many years to do build and replace talent. The Bills don't have that kind of timeframe with their owner's age. A quick review around the NFL shows that perennial winners like NYG, GB, NE, BAL, SD, PHI, and NO aren't afraid to sign free agents.

Bills fans need to decide if 2-3 years is enough to wait for something that's not a guarantee, even with a "Top 5" talent evaluator at GM. I'm sorry, but anyone who's fine with another few years after 10 straight mediocre and worse seasons is what P.T. Barnum was talking about.

We don't have a choice and that is why it is important (for one's sanity) that people realize where this team is right NOW. There is nowhere to go but up after last season. Maybe the record will be worse but the "likeability" can't get worse.