3-4 or 5-2

Been following the topics of possible repositioning of players to fit the 3-4 and where they may fit best, and from what I have figured based on what have been hearing and where I feel the players currently on the roster fit best into 3-4, below is my guess at possible front 7 if season were to start today, and Schobel doesn't retire.

SLB Maybin, Aaron

WLB Schobel, Aaron

ILB Posluszny, Paul

IBL Mitchell, Kawika

RDE Johnson, Spencer

LDE Stroud, Marcus

NT Harvey, Lonnie

I have Lonnie Harvey listed as starting NT over Kyle Williams only because of his size, and would expect Kyle to get allot of reps there as well.

This looks more like a 5-2 than 3-4 to me, as the started OLB's are converted DE's. Would be a fairly slow defensive front, but with more size than have had in awhile. Think this front would be an improvement against run but would be suspect against pass, especially from TE's or when running zone packages. Does keep one of current OLB's off the field, which may not be a bad thing though.

Overall pass rush may be an issue, unless Maybin/Schobel can rush off edge consistantly, and could be exposed against teams with speed backs that can get to edge or screen games, but doesn't really looks like would be awful personnel group if could draft/sign a descent upgrade for NT position. Atleast we shouldnt wear down for being undersized defense with this grouping.

I have Lonnie Harvey listed as starting NT over Kyle Williams only because of his size, and would expect Kyle to get allot of reps there as well.

be cool if Lonnie H steps up, but don't bank on it

I think our D has some good potential. Our secondary is solid. It comes down to being able to stop the run and rush the passer. Maybe Maybin can step up this year, but I am not counting on it. If he can, and if Schobel comes back, and if we add a NT and depth at LB- we can be pretty solid on defense

Been following the topics of possible repositioning of players to fit the 3-4 and where they may fit best, and from what I have figured based on what have been hearing and where I feel the players currently on the roster fit best into 3-4, below is my guess at possible front 7 if season were to start today, and Schobel doesn't retire.

SLB Maybin, Aaron

WLB Schobel, Aaron

ILB Posluszny, Paul

IBL Mitchell, Kawika

RDE Johnson, Spencer

LDE Stroud, Marcus

NT Harvey, Lonnie

This looks more like a 5-2 than 3-4 to me, as the started OLB's are converted DE's. Would be a fairly slow defensive front, but with more size than have had in awhile. Think this front would be an improvement against run but would be suspect against pass, especially from TE's or when running zone packages. Does keep one of current OLB's off the field, which may not be a bad thing though.

Overall pass rush may be an issue, unless Maybin/Schobel can rush off edge consistantly, and could be exposed against teams with speed backs that can get to edge or screen games, but doesn't really looks like would be awful personnel group if could draft/sign a descent upgrade for NT position. Atleast we shouldnt wear down for being undersized defense with this grouping.

I trust Schobel better in coverage therefor SLB- Schobel

I trust Schobel better in coverage therefor SLB- Schobel

Maybin has a bit more foot speed, and Schobel a bit more strength and is more proven as a passrusher, that's why put them where did. I really do not know much about their cover abilities for either though, so you may be right.

I think our D has some good potential. Our secondary is solid. It comes down to being able to stop the run and rush the passer. Maybe Maybin can step up this year, but I am not counting on it. If he can, and if Schobel comes back, and if we add a NT and depth at LB- we can be pretty solid on defense

Some Depth or improvement at DE would be nice as well. While Stroud and Johnson would hold their own, not sure how they would do at sealing the corners, or putting up much of a rush from outside.

Johnson has played end, and he isn't much or a pass rusher from there, but is a good rotational end. Stroud I am not sure about. Not really sure he even wants to be an End. He has skills to play run and pass from inside, but not great speed so not sure on him sliding over to end. Even if isn't ideal set, still is respectable looking front if the improve the NT position and get some depth.