Another example of the Unions screwing over the majority

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...2gT7U&pos=9

March 9 (Bloomberg) -- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said he’s unable to lay off or furlough unionized state workers to help close an $11 billion budget gap.

Christie, speaking at a town hall meeting in Haddon Heights, said job cuts would trigger more than $300 million in contractually obligated raises for remaining state workers under a 2009 wage freeze agreement secured by former Governor Jon Corzine.

“I cannot lay off one state worker, I cannot furlough one state worker,” Christie said. “It’s an exquisite set of handcuffs.”

Corzine, a one-term Democrat, negotiated state employee concessions including 10 unpaid days off and an 18-month wage freeze under the contract that expires in 2011. Christie, a Republican, took office in January.

Corzine Rocks :thumbsup:

What part of balancing a state budget don't you understand?

And layoffs and furloughs are the only way to go? I do think that the union should renegotiate their contract for the benefit of the state and their members jobs.

And layoffs and furloughs are the only way to go? I do think that the union should renegotiate their contract for the benefit of the state and their members jobs.

No, not the only way, but definitely part of the solution.

What part of balancing a state budget don't you understand?

He's totally in favor of balancing a state budget. Just so long as no state employees are laid off, none have their pay or benefits cut, and no state funded programs are eliminated.

He's totally in favor of balancing a state budget. Just so long as no state employees are laid off, none have their pay or benefits cut, and no state funded programs are eliminated.

Not true. Sometimes people have to be laid off, however to do that first is just to easy. These people need to dig deeper than just cutting and running. I have stated that they should renegotiate their contracts for the sake of the state and their own jobs, guess you didn't see that. :thumbsup:

And layoffs and furloughs are the only way to go?

What is this supposed to mean and where did Christie say that layoff are the only thing he is doing to balance the budget? You don't think the huge numbers of gov't workers should be a consideration in attempting to balance a budget when it is the single largest component of that budget?

Please...share with us your brilliant ideas to solve NJ's budget problems.

What is this supposed to mean and where did Christie say that layoff are the only thing he is doing to balance the budget? You don't think the huge numbers of gov't workers should be a consideration in attempting to balance a budget when it is the single largest component of that budget?

Please...share with us your brilliant ideas to solve NJ's budget problems.

If I lived in and new NJ's books I would give you some ideas. I have no problem with that. I wouldn't simply say, well those damn state workers make to much money, lay them off or furlough them first and we'll go from there.

Every state has to look at every single item, every single line, etc.

Exactly. :thumbsup: Just saying that to simply blame the union and have even more people out of work does no one any good. Dig deeper, force negotiations, etc. things can be done.

And how do you force negotiations with absolutely no leverage because you can't lay anyone off?

If I lived in and new NJ's books I would give you some ideas. I have no problem with that. I wouldn't simply say, well those damn state workers make to much money, lay them off or furlough them first and we'll go from there.

Every state has to look at every single item, every single line, etc.

Every single line item except the one that is by far the largest, huh? :thumbsup:

I'm sure it hasn't dawned on you that the people making the recommendations know exactly what needs to be done and are very familiar with the 'books'. But yeah, I'm sure they'll close an $11 billion budget gap by scraping little bits here and there.

You are officially dumber than molson_golden.