Charlie Johnson- Colts LT

I'm pretty sure he was tendered with a 2nd round pick. Now, when I'm watching the Colts, I'm not going to lie and pretend to pay much attention to the left tackle. Manning doesn't get sacked much, but I'm fully aware that probably has a lot to do with him being so aware. But, if the Bills were to go QB in the first round, wouldn't it make sense to sign this guy to an offer sheet, and for the price of a second round pick get a guy with NFL starts on his resume for an elite offense?

I'm pretty sure he was tendered with a 2nd round pick. Now, when I'm watching the Colts, I'm not going to lie and pretend to pay much attention to the left tackle. Manning doesn't get sacked much, but I'm fully aware that probably has a lot to do with him being so aware. But, if the Bills were to go QB in the first round, wouldn't it make sense to sign this guy to an offer sheet, and for the price of a second round pick get a guy with NFL starts on his resume for an elite offense?

If indeed he was tendered with a 2nd round pick, then yes this would make sense.

The Colts other LT - former starter Tony Ugoh - was the back up this entire season (starter in their SB winning year and others). If their starter is tendered at a 2nd, I say pursue a trade for Ugoh for less than a 2nd. He could easily start for this team and would be a HUGE upgrade. A 4th or 3rd round pick for a SB winning LT who is 26 years old with 30ish starts? Sign me up.

Just because he played for the Colts. He's garbage. The Colts were dead last in running the he ball and he was part of that equation. Without Manning, he's much worse.

nfl.com has the Colts OL ranked as the #1 line in the entire NFL. The Colts chose to pass the ball which negatively impacted their rushing numbers. They looked pretty good in the super bowl averaging over 5+ yds a carry against a great New Orleans defense. They can run the ball when they want to.

I would take a pass blocking LT that doesn't give up sacks over a turnstile road grader that can run block but gets his QB killed any day.

nfl.com has the Colts OL ranked as the #1 line in the entire NFL. The Colts chose to pass the ball which negatively impacted their rushing numbers. They looked pretty good in the super bowl averaging over 5+ yds a carry against a great New Orleans defense. They can run the ball when they want to.

I would take a pass blocking LT that doesn't give up sacks over a turnstile road grader that can run block but gets his QB killed any day.

Still trumpeting that great Colts' OLine I see. I'd like to know by what criteria and by what panel nfl.com selected them as #1. I will grant that since they ran less than passed that is why their TOTAL rushing yardage was the lowest but a far more telling stat is that when they DID run the ball it was for a VERY pedestrian 3.5 YPC. That's not running the ball well "when they want to." Check that against our Bills who come in at a fat 4.4. I guess we can run the ball even better when we want to.

You also like to regurgitate how well they did running the ball in the SB. That's true. They did run it well in the SB. But did they do well against a "great New Orleans defense?" Hardly. N.O. gave up a whopping 4.5 YPC last season, a mere .2 better than our vaunted rush D. Sorry, but 4.5 YPC is pitiful at any level of football. N.O. was fortunate to have played with the lead most of the time. Otherwise that pitiful run D would have been even worse.

I will venture to guess that the reason the Colts' OLine was rated tops was, as has been the case since Manning arrived, because they gave up so few sacks. Manning is the common demoninator. How else can the constantly low sack numbers be explained over 13 seasons and countless line combinations where few of his lineman were EVER recognized by the fans, their peers, the coaches, the writers, etc. for ANY Pro Bowl or All Pro honors? Glen and Saturday are the only two I can think of and even those two weren't picked annually even in the popularity vote that the Pro Bowl is.

BTW, how's that research into the ATT stat going?

GO BILLS!!!

Still trumpeting that great Colts' OLine I see. I'd like to know by what criteria and by what panel nfl.com selected them as #1. I will grant that since they ran less than passed that is why their TOTAL rushing yardage was the lowest but a far more telling stat is that when they DID run the ball it was for a VERY pedestrian 3.5 YPC. That's not running the ball well "when they want to." Check that against our Bills who come in at a fat 4.4. I guess we can run the ball even better when we want to.

You also like to regurgitate how well they did running the ball in the SB. That's true. They did run it well in the SB. But did they do well but against a "great New Orleans defense?" Hardly. N.O. gave up a whopping 4.5 YPC last season, a mere .2 better than our vaunted rush D. Sorry, but 4.5 YPC is pitiful at any level of football. N.O. was fortunate to have played with the lead most of the time. Otherwise that pitiful run D would have been even worse.

I will venture to guess that the reason the Colts' OLine was rated tops was, as has been the case since Manning arrived, because they gave up so few sacks. Manning is the common demoninator. How else can the constantly low sack numbers be explained over 13 seasons and countless line combinations where few of his lineman were EVER recognized by the fans, their peers, the coaches, the writers, etc. for ANY Pro Bowl or All Pro honors? Glen and Saturday are the only two I can think of and even those two weren't picked annually even in the popularity vote that the Pro Bowl is.

BTW, how's that research into the ATT stat going?

GO BILLS!!!

You are right K9 - the Colts line is not that great - it is Manning. With the threat of him passing all over the place, his team should be able to run for more than 4 YPC. That being said, I bet the have a good LT and I want him over D Bell. Hell my other post was to get their back up over D Bell.

Anybody remember the last time Bills signed a FA left tackle from an organization consistently thought to have among the best OLs in the game? How did that one turn out?

Some teams and some guys are better at pass protection while others are better at run blocking.

The reason people talk about the Colts line is b/c Manning usually has adequate time to survey the field and get rid of the ball.

And that adequate time to survey the field is 99.9% PRE SNAP, when all the Oline has to do is NOT get called for a falst start while hearing the audibles.

GO BILLS!!!

Hard to argue with the turnstile thing, but that line dn give up sacks because of Manning. The ball is always out quickly. With our guys, do you have confidence that this guy can be THEE guy out there? I don't. And I do recall Polian's comments after the SB were not all that flattering to the oline. I think we'd regret giving up a 2 for Charlie Johnson when Jason Fox and others will be there. It's a pretty deep draft for the big uglies.

According to this site (the ONLY site that crunches the applicable performance criteria for individual linemen), Charlie Johnson was among the worst-performing OTs in the NFL last year:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

He ranked in the bottom 12 in overall rating, bottom 20 in pass block rating, tied for dead last in run block rating, and in the bottom 11 in QB pressures allowed (which is remarkable considering that the entire line allowed only 13 sacks all season...I mean, how can a guy allow 29 pressures but only 2 sacks?).

Some of the names you'll see above him in overall performance:

Jonathan Scott

Kirk Chambers

T.J. Lang (rookie for the Packers that almost got Aaron Rodgers killed against Jared Allen)

Cornell Green

In short, Johnson benefits largely from the presence of Peyton Manning, and is statistically on par with the Demetrius Bell's of the world. By the #s, we're better off with Cornell Green, who's biggest problem is clearly his penchant for taking penalties, which managed to endear almost this entire board to the likes of Richie Incognito.

The Colts other LT - former starter Tony Ugoh - was the back up this entire season (starter in their SB winning year and others). If their starter is tendered at a 2nd, I say pursue a trade for Ugoh for less than a 2nd. He could easily start for this team and would be a HUGE upgrade. A 4th or 3rd round pick for a SB winning LT who is 26 years old with 30ish starts? Sign me up.

Tony Ugoh wasn't the starter on their SB winning team, it was Tarik Glenn. Ugoh has been a disappointment... leave him on the Colts.