Marketing or Winning

I finally feel like we have people in charge of this organization that aren't just trying to make fans happy and sell tickets. Buddy Nix wasn't a popular pick, Chan Gailey wasn't a popular pick and so far we haven't signed some huge name to make fans all giddy.

T.O. was that move last year and in the past we overpaid lineman, traded for Drew Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, etc. and now it seems like they might really be trying to put a team together that THEY feel they can win.

I have no idea what approach Gailey is going to take with the offense or defense (don't just say 3-4 because you don't know what the exact plans are). With that being said I think they are getting and keeping players they feel fit there scheme. I am trusting them because everything else this team has tried the last 10 years and gotten us no where.

I am glad that we are signing no bodies and doing what they feel they need to to build depth and a team they think they can win with. Finally it seems like selling tickets is on the back burner and winning games might be #1 in line.

Oh and yea I did renew my season tickets over the weekend and never thought twice about it.

I finally feel like we have people in charge of this organization that aren't just trying to make fans happy and sell tickets. Buddy Nix wasn't a popular pick, Chan Gailey wasn't a popular pick and so far we haven't signed some huge name to make fans all giddy.

T.O. was that move last year and in the past we overpaid lineman, traded for Drew Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, etc. and now it seems like they might really be trying to put a team together that THEY feel they can win.

I have no idea what approach Gailey is going to take with the offense or defense (don't just say 3-4 because you don't know what the exact plans are). With that being said I think they are getting and keeping players they feel fit there scheme. I am trusting them because everything else this team has tried the last 10 years and gotten us no where.

I am glad that we are signing no bodies and doing what they feel they need to to build depth and a team they think they can win with. Finally it seems like selling tickets is on the back burner and winning games might be #1 in line.

Oh and yea I did renew my season tickets over the weekend and never thought twice about it.

uh huh. These moves definitely illustrate a new philosophy and commitment to winning. Who needs top tier, established, widely coveted players, management and coaches? Conventional wisdom is for losers. We just need a little luck as rw likes to remind us. Unfortunately, he's had bad luck in about 2/3 of his seasons and he doesn't appear ready to make any drastic changes to turn that luck. Why should he if people buy season tickets after a show of such pathetic effort (ie spending) to improve? "Buffalo will support a loser as well as any city"(rw, SI, 1969)

In the words of Jerry Sullivan, they get no benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

But I agree. Nix does seem a lot more qualified to run the show than Levy and Brandon.

However, I still fear the final say comes from the 90+ year old owner

I totally understand that sentiment. The thing is I don't think Nix would stand for it. I could see him stepping down before having the bolded happen this time around. Someone posted an article here where it said it took Nix a week to decide whether he wanted to job. He wasn't just happy to have a shot. I've got a feeling he was assured he would have TOTAL football control.

...and just from the personality we see, he doesn't seem like anyone's lap dog.

In the words of Jerry Sullivan, they get no benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

But I agree. Nix does seem a lot more qualified to run the show than Levy and Brandon.

However, I still fear the final say comes from the 90+ year old owner

RW's last three GM's have been huge failures, but the common denominator is he hired all three. We learned that RW wanted Marshawn Lynch in 07, and directly negotiated DJ's extension in October 2008.

And I'm sure when Nix said he wouldn't be going after UFA's, it was music to RW and Smithers' ears. At the rate the Bills are building, RW would need to live to be 94 to see anything. And that's if they draft 3-4 starters each year.

Nix may have a great plan, but whether he has the tools to make it happen is another matter. And the timeframe might not be satisfactory to most fans, save for the homer schlub fans who eat up everything from OBD.