Post OFfice to 5 days a week, BFD

I weep for the public school system.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...wsj_gadgv1&

This of course swims against the research that shows pretty unequivocally that students who don't have Summers off perform much better in schools. (The speculation is that there is a lot of knowledge and focus loss during Summer vacation...ahh, no ****.) In view of this and facing budget crises, public schools are now going to 4 day weeks.

Awesome.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry. I'm sure the public school system's primary mission of sustaining a teacher's union will not be harmed.

No doubt the teachers are really upset by this...seeing as how it will give them all 3 day weekends every week and they get so little vacation as it is.

This of course swims against the research that shows pretty unequivocally that students who don't have Summers off perform much better in schools. (The speculation is that there is a lot of knowledge and focus loss during Summer vacation...ahh, no ****.) In view of this and facing budget crises, public schools are now going to 4 day weeks.

Awesome.

This is ridiculous, though I'd give it greater consideration if they also planned to eliminate summer vacation.

No doubt the teachers are really upset by this...seeing as how it will give them all 3 day weekends every week and they get so little vacation as it is.

The teachers in my area are upset and rightfully so. Not paid very well. Our schools receive a crap amount of money to actually run the school. Materials usually come out of their pocket or through donations by parents. And most who like to work during the summer to supplement income can't anymore... which means kids that need the extra help don't get that either.

Teachers are always getting blasted for their pay, etc. I say most of them do not get paid enough. One big change that needs to happen is tenure. Unfortunately it protects teachers that should retire, etc.

Is that your reason for anything bad happening? Always the unions fault? How about digging a bit deeper for once.

Unions aren't the ONLY problem, but the NEA is as bad for schools as UAW is bad for GM. The costs and concessions, to use a favorite liberal term these days, are not sustainable for the long term. And you're correct about tenure; it's a killer. It needs to be removed...period.

It's the union stewards' fault.

I blame the Union Information Technology people.

I'm with you LA--I have no problem with the 4 day workweek if they went through the Summer (though parents nationwide would **** a brick).

I like a theory I read about (maybe Gladwell's) that teacher quality went to crap when women started being able to go into other professions. At one time, the best and brightest women were teachers or nothing. Now they can do anything, and teaching jobs are often held by people who just barely make it through college.

I blame the Union Information Technology people.

I'm with you LA--I have no problem with the 4 day workweek if they went through the Summer (though parents nationwide would **** a brick).

I like a theory I read about (maybe Gladwell's) that teacher quality went to crap when women started being able to go into other professions. At one time, the best and brightest women were teachers or nothing. Now they can do anything, and teaching jobs are often held by people who just barely make it through college.

Blacks, too. Used to be, they were kept in the menial, low-paying jobs they deserved. Nowadays, we have them teaching our fine, innocent white children how to be as stupid as their race is. [/WisconsinBillsFan]

Blacks, too. Used to be, they were kept in the menial, low-paying jobs they deserved. Nowadays, we have them teaching our fine, innocent white children how to be as stupid as their race is. [/WisconsinBillsFan]

Wisconsin has taught me one thing: How to spell Wisconsin. I would have thought it ended with "son" and for that bit of elucidation, I thank him.

Unions aren't the ONLY problem, but the NEA is as bad for schools as UAW is bad for GM. The costs and concessions, to use a favorite liberal term these days, are not sustainable for the long term. And you're correct about tenure; it's a killer. It needs to be removed...period.

One of the teachers at my high school had narcolepsy and would fall asleep in the middle of class at his desk ( and one time leaning in the doorway to the room. They couldn't get rid of him because of tenure. He finally retired when he had a heart attack.

I know two mail carriers. They would love having no Saturday delivery because thay would have every weekend off instead of Sundays and a rotating second day off.

Awesome.

What I want to know is: why in most states do we still have laws that allow 16 & 17 year old kids to quit high school?

Those who can do. Those who can't, teach

Those who can't teach run the NEA and AFT.

What I want to know is: why in most states do we still have laws that allow 16 & 17 year old kids to quit high school?

World still needs ditch diggers.