Magic & Bird

I caught the full documentary on HBO last night, it was an excellent piece of work. Besides Magic and Bird fans, I would also recommend it for any diehard basketball fans, people who are into sports history or rivalries, and pretty much any big sports fan in general. I really wish we had competitive rivalries on this level nowadays but this one will always be one of a kind.

I caught the full documentary on HBO last night, it was an excellent piece of work. Besides Magic and Bird fans, I would also recommend it for any diehard basketball fans, people who are into sports history or rivalries, and pretty much any big sports fan in general. I really wish we had competitive rivalries on this level nowadays but this one will always be one of a kind.

The NBA was awesome in the 1980's... Magic Lakers vs Bird Celtics was as good as it gets as far as getting the adrenalin going

in sports... loved the Celtics of that era, but I realize, I wouldn't have loved them as much, without the Lakers... the C's won three championships during that era, but the one against the Lakers dwarves the others... there are not enough great, true, natural rivalries left in sports these days... I can't wait to see this...hopefully tomorrow...

Great program. That team always has great sports programs on HBO.

As for Magic and Bird, Gumbel had it correct. They saved the NBA - not Jordan. I barely watch it now. I don't find it particularly interesting anymore.

Great program. That team always has great sports programs on HBO.

As for Magic and Bird, Gumbel had it correct. They saved the NBA - not Jordan. I barely watch it now. I don't find it particularly interesting anymore.

It is better now, than it has been in years...

Its hard to explain unless you watched the games back then but in that era the NBA had more of a football/hockey style to its game. It was much more physical and aggressive and nobody represented that more than Larry Bird. Ironically on ESPN classic today they were playing game 7 of the Lakers/Celtics final from 84. I was busy today so I didn't watch the whole thing but I watched it briefly and it was really good stuff...highly competitive, both teams leaving everything they had on the court and those two teams had a special hatred but respect for each other. The closest thing to it I've seen in more recent times was the Avs-Red Wings rivalry in the NHL and even that was quite awhile ago now. Man I miss the good old days

The NBA was awesome in the 1980's... Magic Lakers vs Bird Celtics was as good as it gets as far as getting the adrenalin going

in sports... loved the Celtics of that era, but I realize, I wouldn't have loved them as much, without the Lakers... the C's won three championships during that era, but the one against the Lakers dwarves the others... there are not enough great, true, natural rivalries left in sports these days... I can't wait to see this...hopefully tomorrow...

Yea baby, The Sixers were a great squad in the early 80's. Many a contentious battle were waged against the Celtics and the Lakers.

I'm biased because Magic was my favorite sports figure of all-time--but I hate the NBA today. Lazy defense, and a bunch of high schoolers and one-and-done college players who stink.

Sorry JR, but you sound like someone who hasn't watched an NBA game in a decade or so. The NBA, as it stands right now, has more good teams than it has in ages, and the good teams have shown a return to team basketball. You are mistaking the

advertisements with reality. The San Antonio Spurs, Detroit Pistons (much as I hate to say it), and Los Angeles Lakers have dominated the NBA over the last decade, all playing fundamentally sound, team oriented, basketball. And, they all play tremendous defense. There were just as many bad teams, if not more, back in the days of Magic and Bird. Your argument is tired, and old... its' okay to say you just don't like the NBA, but get your story straight...

Speaking of Sports Docs - whatever happened to 30 for 30?

Tthat just seemed to disappear at the end of last year.

The highly acclaimed Reggie Miller-Spike Lee one debuts soon - this week or next week.

What made Magic and Bird a great rivalry was the fact that they just legitimately didn't like each other all that much on a personal level. The legit hate they had made that feel like a real rivalry (At least according to my dad). I think now in the NBA they all seem like they like each other and that they belong to this Frat. I want Players (At least while they are still playing) to legit hate each other.

What made Magic and Bird a great rivalry was the fact that they just legitimately didn't like each other all that much on a personal level. The legit hate they had made that feel like a real rivalry (At least according to my dad). I think now in the NBA they all seem like they like each other and that they belong to this Frat. I want Players (At least while they are still playing) to legit hate each other.

This "phenomenon" is not exclusive to the NBA. Free agency in sports has killed much of this. Every guy knows, he could be anyone else's teammate at some point. Athletes make so much money now (not just in the NBA) that the desire to win, at all costs, is not what it was, because, at the end of the day, everyone has a nice bank account to play with...why get so worked up about a game? Not to say that there aren't guys who want to win all the time (Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett come to mind), but those types of players are fewer and further between.

Personally, I think the NHL, for all its' problems, is the purest of the major sports, because it isn't so major. I think players/teams really do dislike eachother in the NHL...what kills rivalries in the NHL is too many teams, in too many markets that don't appreciate the great game of hockey. On top of that, the old rivals don't play eachother as often...and, lets be honest, a hardcore Sabres or Bruins fan, living in their respective cities, is not really that likely to tune into an Anaheim, Vancouver game, or at least not as likely as they would tune into a Chargers/Raiders game. Fans don't know the league as well, in general. Fans are what keep the rivalry going...the Bills rivalry with the Dolphins is not what it was, with younger Bills fans...but the old timers still get pumped to play the Dolphins, no matter how bad the season is going...

Byrd as much as said that in the piece. It was what he needed -in his head- to be competitive, though they did create quite a kinship eventually.

As SRV'd by the formerly known as Buftex, big $$ and FA have dilluted this once true motivational force. Now they're all partners at the bank.

I think one of the biggest reasons why they hated each other was because of how competitive they were, they both wanted to be the #1 guy no questions asked but they always had to deal with the other guy being there as well. In the piece they both talked about how they always paid attention to what the other one did and how it motivated their performance's. I mean sure nowadays you have your Ovechkin v.s. Crosby and your Lebron v.s. Kobe but these are not even close to the intensity of the Bird & Magic rivalry.

Sorry JR, but you sound like someone who hasn't watched an NBA game in a decade or so. The NBA, as it stands right now, has more good teams than it has in ages, and the good teams have shown a return to team basketball. You are mistaking the

advertisements with reality. The San Antonio Spurs, Detroit Pistons (much as I hate to say it), and Los Angeles Lakers have dominated the NBA over the last decade, all playing fundamentally sound, team oriented, basketball. And, they all play tremendous defense. There were just as many bad teams, if not more, back in the days of Magic and Bird. Your argument is tired, and old... its' okay to say you just don't like the NBA, but get your story straight...

You might be right. Honestly, about 7-8 years ago, I lost interest in the NBA, and therefore don't really follow it like it sounds like you do. I do try to follow how Melo is doing as a Cuse college b-ball fan, but when I've watched NBA ball recently, I haven't been impressed. Maybe I'm looking for the same excitement as college b-ball; and, frankly, I see no comparison b/w the excitement that the college game provides and that of the NBA.

You might be right. Honestly, about 7-8 years ago, I lost interest in the NBA, and therefore don't really follow it like it sounds like you do. I do try to follow how Melo is doing as a Cuse college b-ball fan, but when I've watched NBA ball recently, I haven't been impressed. Maybe I'm looking for the same excitement as college b-ball; and, frankly, I see no comparison b/w the excitement that the college game provides and that of the NBA.

I will admit, the only college basketball I really watch is during the tournament, or the odd Syracuse or Illinois game here and there. The tournament is fun... but, the NBA playoffs can be pretty spectacular too. The regular season is too long... college hoops has a perfect length of season.