Rethinking the LB's:

The more I've been thinking about the Bills' positional needs (which I submit on Sundays to DraftTek), the more I think we're looking more for OLB's than ILB's in the draft.

Kavicka Mitchell would be moving over to ILB given his injury. We would likely take a stab at Mitchell's understudy after RD4, but not for the 3-4 critical rounds of the Bills' draft, where LT, NT, QB, OLB, RT, or DE will be taken, depending on whom you talk to.

Surely Odrick, Sapp, and Serio Kindle will be off the board by RD2. The problem is that there are 2-3 undrafted ILB's at our pick in RD2 (Spikes, Hughes, Daryl Washington even Norwood and some say Sean Lee), even DE that are better than the next OLB (Jason Worilds of VaTech).

The more I've been thinking about the Bills' positional needs (which I submit on Sundays to DraftTek), the more I think we're looking more for OLB's than ILB's in the draft.

Kavicka Mitchell would be moving over to ILB given his injury. We would likely take a stab at Mitchell's understudy after RD4, but not for the 3-4 critical rounds of the Bills' draft, where LT, NT, QB, OLB, RT, or DE will be taken, depending on whom you talk to.

Surely Odrick, Sapp, and Serio Kindle will be off the board by RD2. The problem is that there are 2-3 undrafted ILB's at our pick in RD2 (Spikes, Hughes, Daryl Washington even Norwood and some say Sean Lee), even DE that are better than the next OLB (Jason Worilds of VaTech).

Mitchell is not a 3-4 OLB for certain...Kelsay and Schobel (if he comes back) are not 3-4 OLB's either, though they could fill the role as Pass-Rush-only types...Ellison? I'm not sure where he fits other than being a Nickle LB...I think Maybin and Ellis will both be tried at OLB...But who the heck knows with those two? So I pretty much agree with you... :blush:

Since we need improvement at both positions, I think you take the best player available. Looking too much into which position it has to be just gets you into trouble. I also don't think an injury is a good reason to move Mitchell inside and assume the position is covered.

Since we need improvement at both positions, I think you take the best player available. Looking too much into which position it has to be just gets you into trouble. I also don't think an injury is a good reason to move Mitchell inside and assume the position is covered.

Mitchell will not move inside because of the injury necessarily...He'll move inside because he's not a 3-4 OLB... :blush:

I would look outside first.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Spikes is going to have trouble in the NFL. I'll probably be wrong, but I saw too much freelancing in college combined with taking plays/series off. He has the potential to dominate but doesn't always, and he really seems to like himself a whole lot. I sense trouble.

Hughes is a 3-4 olb or possibly 4-3 de. Will never at ILB