RIP Mark Linkous

Mark Linkous, one of my musical heroes, chose to end his life last night. He recorded four albums of a sort of avant-folk under the name of Sparklehorse and released one collaboration with Dangermouse and David Lynch called Dark Night of the Soul.

In the late 90s he became partially paralyzed after an accidental overdose left him unconscious in an odd position. I was fortunate enough to see one of his first shows after learning to walk again (with the aid of leg braces). To this day one of the most devastating and haunting experiences of my life.

here's a link to one of his songs. He wasn't a writer of singles, so it appear comes across as underwhelming. But the video is directed by my favorite film director Guy Maddin.

for the record, I am getting tired of my heroes killing themselves.

Mark Linkous, one of my musical heroes, chose to end his life last night. He recorded four albums of a sort of avant-folk under the name of Sparklehorse and released one collaboration with Dangermouse and David Lynch called Dark Night of the Soul.

In the late 90s he became partially paralyzed after an accidental overdose left him unconscious in an odd position. I was fortunate enough to see one of his first shows after learning to walk again (with the aid of leg braces). To this day one of the most devastating and haunting experiences of my life.

here's a link to one of his songs. He wasn't a writer of singles, so it appear comes across as underwhelming. But the video is directed by my favorite film director Guy Maddin.

for the record, I am getting tired of my heroes killing themselves.

RIP

To your credit, your heroes entertainment-wise seem to be true artists and not corporate shills.

Problem is, most true artists tend to run a bit crazy and at some point crazy just don't stand crazy.

I was turned on to Linkous after hearing the "Dark Night of the Soul" on NPR last July and was mesmerized by that album. Never got into Sparklehorse, but I can attest that DNOTS is one of last year's best albums, IMHO anyways.

RIP

RIP

To your credit, your heroes entertainment-wise seem to be true artists and not corporate shills.

Problem is, most true artists tend to run a bit crazy and at some point crazy just don't stand crazy.

Indeed.

RIP

cause of death was released today--Linkous shot himself in the heart. Takes a lot of pain to end things that violently

Ouch .. pretty horrible way to go ... may he RIP ... as to end life that way he must havve felt tortured while alive.

RIP

That is the truth. I was just reading an article on Sparklehorse and read that Vic Chestnut recently committed suicide too. Chestnut was on NPR very recently talking with Terry Gross about depression and how he tried to suicide a few times, and what thoughts he had after suicide attempts. He seemed upbeat and ok. I am shocked to hear he killed himself, especially so soon after that interview. Eerie

Ouch .. pretty horrible way to go ... may he RIP ... as to end life that way he must havve felt tortured while alive.

no one will out do Elliot Smith :blink:

stabbed himself in the heart with a samurai sword

(not that this is a competition of course)

That is the truth. I was just reading an article on Sparklehorse and read that Vic Chestnut recently committed suicide too. Chestnut was on NPR very recently talking with Terry Gross about depression and how he tried to suicide a few times, and what thoughts he had after suicide attempts. He seemed upbeat and ok. I am shocked to hear he killed himself, especially so soon after that interview. Eerie

yeah, Vic Chestnut killed himself on Christmas. He was something like $80K in debt because of mounting medical bills. It was the breaking point. I saw him play over the summer and he seemed pretty upbeat (of course he was touring with Jonathan Richman--can't be depressed when you deal with that guy every day).

I read today Linkous shot himself at 1:10 pm outside his friends house. His story is getting more tragic by the minute.