why we suck

Pete

first 3 picks of 2001, and 2009 were the only decent drafts once you get past the pathetic Maybin pick. Take a look at these selections. Sickening

2009 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 11 Aaron Maybin DE Penn State

1 28 Eric Wood C Louisville

2 42 Jairus Byrd DB Oregon

2 51 Andy Levitre G Oregon State

4 121 Shawn Nelson TE Southern Mississippi

5 147 Nic Harris LB Oklahoma

6 183 Cary Harris DB USC

7 220 Ellis Lankster DB West Virginia

2008 - Buffalo Bills

1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy

2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana

3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron

4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas

5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State

6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State

7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana

7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky

7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

2007 - Buffalo Bills

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State

6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

2006 - Buffalo Bills

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State

1 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State

3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina

5 134 Kyle Williams DT Louisiana State

5 143 Brad Butler T Virginia

6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Oregon State

7 216 Terrance Pennington T New Mexico

7 248 Aaron Merz G California

2005 - Buffalo Bills

2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami (Fla.)

3 86 Kevin Everett TE Miami (Fla.)

4 122 Duke Preston C Illinois

5 156 Eric King DB Wake Forest

6 197 Justin Geisinger G Vanderbilt

7 236 Lionel Gates RB Louisville

2004 - Buffalo Bills

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech

2003 - Buffalo Bills

1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (Fla.)

2 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

3 94 Angelo Crowell LB Virginia

4 111 Terrence McGee DB Northwestern State-Louisiana

4 127 Sam Aiken WR North Carolina

5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa

6 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah

7 228 Mario Haggan LB Mississippi State

2002 - Buffalo Bills

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn

7 249 Rodney Wright -- Fresno State

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson -- Virginia Tech

7 260 Dominique Stevenson LB Tennessee

2001 - Buffalo Bills

1 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State

2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

2 58 Travis Henry HB Tennessee

3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

4 110 Brandon Spoon MLB North Carolina

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

6 178 Tony Driver DB Notre Dame

6 195 Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame

6 196 Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt

7 214 Reggie Germany WR Ohio State

7 238 Tyrone Robertson DT Georgia

2000 - Buffalo Bills

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2000, 2002, and 2005 we should not even shown up for those drafts. They did NOTHING for us. McGee and Kyle Williams wer good selections- not much else to get excited about the past 10 years

2000, 2002, and 2005 we should not even shown up for those drafts. They did NOTHING for us. McGee and Kyle Williams wer good selections- not much else to get excited about the past 10 years

Agreed. And, even though we had a few good picks sprinkled in, it's hard to draft an entire decade's worth of players and not hit on one superstar.

Agreed. And, even though we had a few good picks sprinkled in, it's hard to draft an entire decade's worth of players and not hit on one superstar.

Sign of one or more deeper problems if you ask me.

That is exactly why we need to be active in FAs. Yes teams are built through the draft, but when you whiff like that, you are left with half an NFL team like the one the Bills have right now. It would take 5 years of great drafts to fill our holes. We need LBs, there are LBs to be had. We need OL, there are OL to be had. Go out and make a play for some of these guys already./

Lots of whiffs, but things are different now, so I'm not gonna live in the past, just look forward to what things may come, and hope for the best. I suggest you try to do the same, It makes things alot easier.

serenity now doesn't work.

say what you will about the draft.

it's easy to knock it, because crapshoots are never easy, especially when a team's drafting mostly outside the top 5.

in the end, though, what's glaringly obvious to me having covered this team for 10 years is how the Bills, for the most part, failed to address their offensive line, made the wrong decision in failing to re-sign Pat Williams and, most of all, have utterly failed in identifying a franchise quarterback.

i simply don't buy into this kneejerk reaction that the draft has done the team in. it hasn't helped, though it hasn't been all that bad, but it isn't the sole reason either, in my humble opinion,

jw

I thought last years draft was pretty good except for the Maybin pick but that's a pretty big except.

Going back, a number of drafts the Bills have had looked productive, especially after one season. The Mike Williams/Josh Reed draft looked pretty good after one year. Lynch/Poz/Edwards the same. It's easy to overrate a teams draft when that team is bad and those rookies get the opportunity to play without really having to compete.

Those "looks" were really just projections based on the fact that those players didn't completely flame out as rookies. It's no more certain that Wood/Levitre/Byrd will go on to be top NFL players than it was that Mike Williams or Josh Reed would.

jw,

I agree wholeheartedly on the line issue. I will maintain as long as I watch football that good teams are based on solid offensive and defensive lines. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, expect it seems for the Bills.

But I couldn't disagree more about the draft. Not picking in the top 5 accounts for only one pick a year and discounts the other absolutely abhorrent picks this team made outside its top pick. It also makes a major assumption that you have to have a top 5 pick to build a team. This team has habitually, not once in a while, but habitually made absolutely horrible picks that were panned when they were made and proven to uphold that distain over time.

But most important, any argument about the randomness of the draft and that its a crapshoot discounts the success other teams have had in reducing the odds of bad picks and making great selections all over the draft.

I would be willing to bet that the Bills would be in the bottom 5 teams in the league in terms of games played, Pro Bowls and the average number of years in the league for all picks by all teams in the last 10 years. That is what the real world calls systematic corporate failure when your competitors dominate you.

Out of curiousity because Dansby is a hot commodity today and I heard he was a second rounded, I looked at the 2004 draft, which was when he was selected. The Cardinals, a perpetual loser draft that year picked Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby and Darnell Dockett with their first, second and third round picks. That team was in the Super Bowl last year and those 3 players from one draft class (two have been pro bowlers) were major contributors. That example from just one draft from one team shows the important of the draft.

How are Evans, Losman and Tim Anderson looking right now? Just to hammer home my point, Tim Euhus was picked 109th overall in the fourth round. Jared Allen was taken 126th. Sure, at that point its probably need and a little luck but the odds should nbe in your favor to hit more than once a decade on a second day pick.

first 3 picks of 2001, and 2009 were the only decent drafts once you get past the pathetic Maybin pick. Take a look at these selections. Sickening

Do you have anything to post that hasn't been posted at least 20 times in the past 3 months here? Gotta love repeated post after repeated post. This same topic is started by a different person it seems like once a week.

jw,

I agree wholeheartedly on the line issue. I will maintain as long as I watch football that good teams are based on solid offensive and defensive lines. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp, expect it seems for the Bills.

But I couldn't disagree more about the draft. Not picking in the top 5 accounts for only one pick a year and discounts the other absolutely abhorrent picks this team made outside its top pick. It also makes a major assumption that you have to have a top 5 pick to build a team. This team has habitually, not once in a while, but habitually made absolutely horrible picks that were panned when they were made and proven to uphold that distain over time.

But most important, any argument about the randomness of the draft and that its a crapshoot discounts the success other teams have had in reducing the odds of bad picks and making great selections all over the draft.

I would be willing to bet that the Bills would be in the bottom 5 teams in the league in terms of games played, Pro Bowls and the average number of years in the league for all picks by all teams in the last 10 years. That is what the real world calls systematic corporate failure when your competitors dominate you.

Out of curiousity because Dansby is a hot commodity today and I heard he was a second rounded, I looked at the 2004 draft, which was when he was selected. The Cardinals, a perpetual loser draft that year picked Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby and Darnell Dockett with their first, second and third round picks. That team was in the Super Bowl last year and those 3 players from one draft class (two have been pro bowlers) were major contributors. That example from just one draft from one team shows the important of the draft.

How are Evans, Losman and Tim Anderson looking right now? Just to hammer home my point, Tim Euhus was picked 109th overall in the fourth round. Jared Allen was taken 126th. Sure, at that point its probably need and a little luck but the odds should nbe in your favor to hit more than once a decade on a second day pick.

well put.

i'm not discounting the Bills questionable drafting record, but it's not been ALL bad. there have been reaches and questionable picks to say the least. i'm not discounting that.

however, my point is that the Bills compounded their problems by not -- mostly during Tom Donahoe's era -- of failing to shore up their O-line, and for some whimsical reason that's beyond me, failing to re-sign Pat Williams, a move that set back the defense for two years (the Larry Tripplett years).

also, there have been questionable decisions in regards to quarterback, which have also hampered the team's progress.

the draft is a factor, but one factor in a myriad of troubles.

head-coaching hires can be added to that list.

jw

Do you have anything to post that hasn't been posted at least 20 times in the past 3 months here? Gotta love repeated post after repeated post. This same topic is started by a different person it seems like once a week.

actually, t, pete's been pretty consistent in all of his posts. from a few glimpses, i've gleaned that pete is unhappy with the team to a somewhat strong degree. but i might be paraphrasing here. :thumbsup:

jw

And Modrak still has a job cause he wasn't "making the final call" on these picks. :lol:

Yep. Tough to do any job without the ability to make the final decision.

Wow! Not a single guy from 2000, 2001 or 2002 on the roster going into next season. That's saying something when the team is as bad as the Bills. And how many of the free agents have stuck? This isn't an honest effort that didn't go well, it's stealing money from the folks in western N.Y. and pocketing the cash by not hiring good coaching and management personnel. And while some of you cling to hope that lightning will strike and a miracle will happen, we just experienced more of the same. We start each regime by saying "let's be patient - let's give these guys a chance." Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me for decades............. :thumbsup:

2009 - Buffalo Bills

1 11 Aaron Maybin DE Penn State

1 28 Eric Wood C Louisville

2 42 Jairus Byrd DB Oregon

2 51 Andy Levitre G Oregon State

4 121 Shawn Nelson TE Southern Mississippi

5 147 Nic Harris LB Oklahoma

6 183 Cary Harris DB USC

7 220 Ellis Lankster DB West Virginia

2008 - Buffalo Bills

1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy

2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana

3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron

4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas

5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State

6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State

7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana

7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky

7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

2007 - Buffalo Bills

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State

6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

2006 - Buffalo Bills

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State

1 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State

3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina

5 134 Kyle Williams DT Louisiana State

5 143 Brad Butler T Virginia

6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Oregon State

7 216 Terrance Pennington T New Mexico

7 248 Aaron Merz G California

2005 - Buffalo Bills

2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami (Fla.)

3 86 Kevin Everett TE Miami (Fla.)

4 122 Duke Preston C Illinois

5 156 Eric King DB Wake Forest

6 197 Justin Geisinger G Vanderbilt

7 236 Lionel Gates RB Louisville

2004 - Buffalo Bills

1 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin

1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State

4 109 Tim Euhus TE Oregon State

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana

7 214 Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech

2003 - Buffalo Bills

1 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (Fla.)

2 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

3 94 Angelo Crowell LB Virginia

4 127 Sam Aiken WR North Carolina

5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa

6 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah

7 228 Mario Haggan LB Mississippi State

2002 - Buffalo Bills

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn

7 249 Rodney Wright -- Fresno State

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson -- Virginia Tech

7 260 Dominique Stevenson LB Tennessee

2001 - Buffalo Bills

1 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State

2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

2 58 Travis Henry HB Tennessee

3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

4 110 Brandon Spoon MLB North Carolina

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

6 178 Tony Driver DB Notre Dame

6 195 Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame

6 196 Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt

7 214 Reggie Germany WR Ohio State

7 238 Tyrone Robertson DT Georgia

2000 - Buffalo Bills

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State

2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech

3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech

4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State

5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech

6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso

7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo

7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Since Bills are so good at drafting, they have decided not to pick up any free agents except for Chiefs or ex-Chiefs. NIX and Ralph would rather trust their Drafting skills instead of getting known players.