Journalism is a Public Good

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why would you be?

I'm not informed by actual research or anything.

You're just setting ALL new standards for idiocy here, aren't you? What's your next trick, arguing restaurant management with Chef Jim?

When people in an industry start telling you something about an industry, you're well-advised to put down your book and listen.

You're just setting ALL new standards for idiocy here, aren't you? What's your next trick, arguing restaurant management with Chef Jim?

When people in an industry start telling you something about an industry, you're well-advised to put down your book and listen.

yeah because the book was written by organic chemists, not 50 year industry vets.

I'm not pretending to have experience!

I'm also not making up data!

You guys are awesome, just awesome.

Of course you're not making up data. You just take it at face value from two guys who are admittedly "progressive" and would never ever slant their data to support a viewpoint.

Why should you make up data when you're disagreeing with people who spent their lives in the industry, who also happen to be on both sides of the political aisle. I'm sure there's a book for that too.

Sorry but I have to laugh at that. We have a lot of people who know everything about everything on this board.

Of course you're not making up data. You just take it at face value from two guys who are admittedly "progressive" and would never ever slant their data to support a viewpoint.

Why should you make up data when you're disagreeing with people who spent their lives in the industry, who also happen to be on both sides of the political aisle. I'm sure there's a book for that too.

Remember who you are talking to a guy who believes that NPR's coverage isn't tilted whatsoever. :blush:

What BBC, PBS and NPR all have in common is that they are not brazenly partisan, its the subject matter that they continue to push, and the subtleness it is presented in that trifles most observers into believing that they are "non partisan".

Remember who you are talking to a guy who believes that NPR's coverage isn't tilted whatsoever. :blush:

What BBC, PBS and NPR all have in common is that they are not brazenly partisan, its the subject matter that they continue to push, and the subtleness it is presented in that trifles most observers into believing that they are "non partisan".

There's a difference between partisan and personal biases.

But their research on journalism, the state of journalism, and how it functions elsewhere isn't up for debate, and I don't think the non-profitability of hard-news is up for debate either, nor is its importance to a functioning democracy.

Did anyone else find this statement hilarious?

LinK

Journalism and freedom of the press are essential to democracy. The US once led the world in demonstrating its commitment to the press. Commercial journalism is folding rapidly, at a soon-to-be extinct rate. Without the commercial press, better yet, without paid journalists, there can be no fourth estate. Subsidies are a solution. Can you think of another?

you're making sweeping generalizations here that don't really equate. the U.S., as a nation, didn't lead the world in its commitment to the press, private citizens did by establising such major news-gathering outlets such as the NY Times, CBS, the LA Times and Time/Life magazines.

these were all and remain commercial entities.

and there are numerous other nations that have or had highly regarded news mediums. i'll read the Globe and Mail any chance i get, the Dublin Times and some of the London Dailies are top notch, as was the Jerusalem Post (before Conrad Black got a hold of them).

Knight-Ridder's demise was very unfornunate.

your point, however, that commercial journalism is folding rapidly is off the mark. it's merely that the mediums are in transformation. there is and will always be a demand for news. it's what makes society work, even closed societies.

in former Soviet Russia, the people still read Pravda. whether knowing or not the news was slanted and false, it was still read because there is a need for the consumption of news. people want to know what's going on.

the question is what the industry will look like in 10-20 years.

that said, there will always be a market for skilled reporters capable of digging for news and reporting it in timely and accurate basis.

just because the printing press if fading, doesn't mean that journalism is obsolete.

jw

you're making sweeping generalizations here that don't really equate. the U.S., as a nation, didn't lead the world in its commitment to the press, private citizens did by establising such major news-gathering outlets such as the NY Times, CBS, the LA Times and Time/Life magazines.

these were all and remain commercial entities.

and there are numerous other nations that have or had highly regarded news mediums. i'll read the Globe and Mail any chance i get, the Dublin Times and some of the London Dailies are top notch, as was the Jerusalem Post (before Conrad Black got a hold of them).

Knight-Ridder's demise was very unfornunate.

your point, however, that commercial journalism is folding rapidly is off the mark. it's merely that the mediums are in transformation. there is and will always be a demand for news. it's what makes society work, even closed societies.

in former Soviet Russia, the people still read Pravda. whether knowing or not the news was slanted and false, it was still read because there is a need for the consumption of news. people want to know what's going on.

the question is what the industry will look like in 10-20 years.

that said, there will always be a market for skilled reporters capable of digging for news and reporting it in timely and accurate basis.

just because the printing press if fading, doesn't mean that journalism is obsolete.

jw

I agree and what will you be doing in 10 years?

I agree and what will you be doing in 10 years?

One suspects that more people might already read JW's stories online than in print. And when I was away from my computer for several days during the Olympics, I kept track of his work through AP Mobile on my BlackBerry ...