Journalism is a Public Good

Journalism failed as a private venture. It is not profitable, hasn't been for 30 years.

The Founding Fathers and every journalism-related Supreme Court ruling has touted, without question, the fourth estate as indispensable to a functioning democracy.

Early 19 Century postal subsidies for distribution of weeklies equivalent to $30B of today's GDP.

Journalism as a public good, and heavily subsidized by the government: GO!

-------------

I don't think journalism should be a for-profit industry.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journalism failed as a private venture. It is not profitable, hasn't been for 30 years.

The Founding Fathers and every journalism-related Supreme Court ruling has touted, without question, the fourth estate as indispensable to a functioning democracy.

Early 19 Century postal subsidies for distribution of weeklies equivalent to $30B of today's GDP.

-------------

I think subsizied journalism is a government-controlled media, and contrary to the First Amedment principles of a free press.

-------------

This post reads like the letter "Ralphie" wrote to his teacher in order to lobby for the Red Ryder BB Gun.

I think subsizied journalism is a government-controlled media, and contrary to the First Amedment principles of a free press.

Every example from around the globe would counter this claim.

Every country (and again, most are Northern European) with the highest in journalism subsidies also rank highest in "freedom" "freedom of speech" etc.

Now, I know these are arbitrary rankings done by American think-tanks, but I suppose if we're going to debate levels of freedom, might as well go to the sources quantifying them.

Also, may be we should go to the 2000-2008 archives to see how much the government dominated the NPR message.

This post reads like the letter "Ralphie" wrote to his teacher in order to lobby for the Red Ryder BB Gun.

Haha, and "this thing which tells time."

You got me. Didn't really spend much time crafting this one. There are a thousand bullet points to go through, I just rounded-up a few and spat them out.

Every example from around the globe would counter this claim.

Every country (and again, most are Northern European) with the highest in journalism subsidies also rank highest in "freedom" "freedom of speech" etc.

Now, I know these are arbitrary rankings done by American think-tanks, but I suppose if we're going to debate levels of freedom, might as well go to the sources quantifying them.

Also, may be we should go to the 2000-2008 archives to see how much the government dominated the NPR message.

How do they rank in "free press"?

And why would you think that we here can implement the same programs they have in Northern Europe? Different cultures.

Also, maybe we should go back to the 2000-2008 archives to see all the stories about how the Bush Administration manipulated or withheld information from the media, or used it to promote the Iraq war agenda. The truth or falsehood of those stories aside...you're arguing the benefits of a system that makes that manipulation even easier?

Journalism has not failed as a private venture. The private ventures that have been very succesfsul in delivering very good journalism over the past century just happen to be going through a major transformation, while the journalism is still very good. When the private ventures figure out a new business model in the digital age, journalism will continue to be very good.

I think it's a given that you can't understand the distinction.

How do they rank in "free press"?

And why would you think that we here can implement the same programs they have in Northern Europe? Different cultures.

Also, maybe we should go back to the 2000-2008 archives to see all the stories about how the Bush Administration manipulated or withheld information from the media, or used it to promote the Iraq war agenda. The truth or falsehood of those stories aside...you're arguing the benefits of a system that makes that manipulation even easier?

Same for freedom of the press.

Don't think we should implement the same program. One nifty idea is an "america-corp" for young journalists which actually puts reporters back in state-houses, something that doesn't even exist in some states anymore. GG, let this be one of my factoids to explain my response to you below.

How does it make it easier? How do subsidies for independent journalists equate with the news shifting that goes on to appease corporate interests.

Right now there are 4 PR people for every 1 journalist in this country. Orwell had it wrong, Big Brother's not watching us, we're watching Big-Brother.

Journalism has not failed as a private venture. The private ventures that have been very succesfsul in delivering very good journalism over the past century just happen to be going through a major transformation, while the journalism is still very good. When the private ventures figure out a new business model in the digital age, journalism will continue to be very good.

I think it's a given that you can't understand the distinction.

Everything you've just said is categorically false.

-------------

It's not accurate to say journalism hasn't been profitable for 30 years. Plenty of journalism companies have made profits. Fewer are profitable now is true due to the fragmentation of the market (lot's of free stuff can be read online). The journalism industry has to figure out how to be profitable and that starts with producing a product that people are willing to buy. Apparently the public does not see the quality they want in for-pay journalism.

The best argument against subsidized journalism is what DC Tom said regarding freedom of the press.

Everything you've just said is categorically false.

Is your opinion based on your life long involvement in journalism or the private ventures that produce journalism?

Or is this something your read on the bathroom wall?

-------------

Do your own home work, Sue.

-------------

If you would like to see a clear example of this, look up the news sources in Italy. The Prime Minister owns all the major news agencies, and well, look how good that's going.

If you would like to see a clear example of this, look up the news sources in Italy. The Prime Minister owns all the major news agencies, and well, look how good that's going.

This example and other despotic examples invalidate the countries where state-funded journalism does work?