Thoughts on Detroit.

ICE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Detroit is blowing it because they have over-focused on the import of the QB to their rebuilding strategy. Not only did they spend a big pick on Harrington instead of on running and stopping the run (even here you need to be good as folks are correctly disappointed in MW who has not produced under the guidance of Vinklarek who had no OL coaching experience prior to the Bills or his replacement Ruel who had one year before he was rejected by Harrington's team), but they have gone back to the well to try to get Harrington the receiving targets any passer needs only to see injury invalidate these choices.

Bench Harrington, keep Harrington. This choice will make little difference for the prospects of a team which has been fairly Bledsoe-like in the pass-happiness of their rebuilding focus.

The key instead for NE was to invest their hopes at QB (due to the force of injury) into a 6th round draft pick. Even after the good fortune of buildinga team around him which forced them to eat the cap acceleration of the Bledsoe contract, they actually missed the playoffs in the year the acceleration hit them, but once again won the SB the next year when the team built on FA pick-ups like Harrison and marginally better back-ups who stepped up for injured players delivered them an SB.

Like the Bills, the key is to worry less about developing a QB and worry more about developing a team.

I think Detroit is blowing it because they have over-focused on the import of the QB to their rebuilding strategy.  Not only did they spend a big pick on Harrington instead of on running and stopping the run (even here you need to be good as folks are correctly disappointed in MW who has not produced under the guidance of Vinklarek who had no OL coaching experience prior to the Bills or his replacement Ruel who had one year before he was rejected by Harrington's team), but they have gone back to the well to try to get Harrington the receiving targets any passer needs only to see injury invalidate these choices.

Bench Harrington, keep Harrington.  This choice will make little difference for the prospects of a team which has been fairly Bledsoe-like in the pass-happiness of their rebuilding focus.

The key instead for NE was to invest their hopes at QB (due to the force of injury) into a 6th round draft pick.  Even after the good fortune of buildinga team around him which forced them to eat the cap acceleration of the Bledsoe contract, they actually missed the playoffs in the year the acceleration hit them, but once again won the SB the next year when the team built on FA pick-ups like Harrison and marginally better back-ups who stepped up for injured players delivered them an SB.

Like the Bills, the key is to worry less about developing a QB and worry more about developing a team.

133751[/snapback]

Here is the problem, No one has as big an influance on a game as the QB does. No one touches the ball more other than the center.

I do think it is funny though. Bledsoe goes down, Brady steps in and takes the same talent that was around Bledsoe to the Superbowl. Bottom line it is a team effort, but if you don't have a LEADER at QB and a guy that can get the job done, you won't go anywhere.

Here is the problem, No one has as big an influance on a game as the QB does.  No one touches the ball more other than the center.

I do think it is funny though. Bledsoe goes down, Brady steps in and takes the same talent that was around Bledsoe to the Superbowl.  Bottom line it is a team effort, but if you don't have a LEADER at QB and a guy that can get the job done, you won't go anywhere.

133759[/snapback]

I think you more than others would advocate that a leader at QB can and is best found in the methods which produced a Brady, Johnson, Dilfer, Warner, etctera rather than advocating that the key for a team is to follow the draft 'em in the 1st Bledsoe model of building a winner.

The comparison I set up is somewhat unfair as it compares the field (all other options besides drafting your QB in the 1st round) to this one method. Ecept drafting your QB in the first has an unbroken record for the team which drafted a player of not having him deliver an SB win to the team since Dallas selected Aikman in the later 80s or even an SB appearance since McNair took TN there in 1999.

The Harrington model is fine except it simply has not worked. Should Manning or McNabb deliver an SB win (or even a berth) to the team which picked them it will be the first time in a long time and the exception which proves the rule.

The problem is, you people are all a bunch of whining little bitches.

If ICE talking about Bledsoe bothers you so much, and "that's all he ever talks about him", the board has this neat little feature called "ignore". But even better than that, most of your brains came pre-installed with the very same feature. You don't have to react every time the man says something. When you do, you feed the fire, and you prove the point. If you need to though, and your brain's "ignore" feature isn't working properly, then use the software version of it on TBD. It's really not that hard.

And the thought of him getting banned because he mentions Bledsoe every post? How is that different than someone putting "BLEDSOE SUCKS" in their signature line? I would then have to see that comment under EVERY post they make.

And the thing is, this wouldn't even be an issue if someone didnt mention the fact that ICE bashed Bledsoe in his post. You people should learn to EXPECT it from him, read the post, minus the Bledsoe part, and reply to that. In this case, if everyone did that (and some of you, who shall remain nameless, CANNOT just open an ICE thread and reply without mentioning his Bledsoe bashing, which is turning into your OWN crusade) we would be talking about Harrington - no big deal.

So, go through all the files stuffed in your gray matter, and look for the one marked "how to ignore someone" or "how to look past a Bledsoe Bash in an otherwise thought provoking post" or "how to not hit reply and tell everyone how ICE is a crusader"... please - you people who fire at him every time are just as bad as him, if not worse. You don't bring any topics up, at least he does that. All you do is wait for HIM to bring up a topic so YOU can remind us that he is crusading. GET OVER IT!

If ICE talking about Bledsoe bothers you so much, and "that's all he ever talks about him", the board has this neat little feature called "ignore". But even better than that, most of your brains came pre-installed with the very same feature. You don't have to react every time the man says something. When you do, you feed the fire, and you prove the point. If you need to though, and your brain's "ignore" feature isn't working properly, then use the software version of it on TBD. It's really not that hard.

And the thought of him getting banned because he mentions Bledsoe every post? How is that different than someone putting "BLEDSOE SUCKS" in their signature line? I would then have to see that comment under EVERY post they make.

And the thing is, this wouldn't even be an issue if someone didnt mention the fact that ICE bashed Bledsoe in his post. You people should learn to EXPECT it from him, read the post, minus the Bledsoe part, and reply to that. In this case, if everyone did that (and some of you, who shall remain nameless, CANNOT just open an ICE thread and reply without mentioning his Bledsoe bashing, which is turning into your OWN crusade) we would be talking about Harrington - no big deal.

So, go through all the files stuffed in your gray matter, and look for the one marked "how to ignore someone" or "how to look past a Bledsoe Bash in an otherwise thought provoking post" or "how to not hit reply and tell everyone how ICE is a crusader"... please - you people who fire at him every time  are just as bad as him, if not worse. You don't bring any topics up, at least he does that. All you do is wait for HIM to bring up a topic so YOU can remind us that he is crusading. GET OVER IT!

133799[/snapback]

You big meanie!

Personally, I've got a list of about a dozen people I'm about a post or two away from booting forever.

It's gets pretty tiring playing hall monitor in this nusery school.

133808[/snapback]

Okay, I'll tone it down a bit. I know I can be a bit crazy at times.

Here is the problem, No one has as big an influance on a game as the QB does.  No one touches the ball more other than the center.

I do think it is funny though. Bledsoe goes down, Brady steps in and takes the same talent that was around Bledsoe to the Superbowl.  Bottom line it is a team effort, but if you don't have a LEADER at QB and a guy that can get the job done, you won't go anywhere.

133759[/snapback]

Remember that pittsburgh playoff game: Brady struggles and goes out nicked up.

Guess what QB stepped in an beat Pittsburgh? Great football teams have stout offensive lines. The Buffalo Bills offensive line needs a definte upgrade. Starting with the Center. Trey Teague Come on now!

Remember that pittsburgh playoff game: Brady struggles and goes out nicked up.

Guess what QB stepped in an beat Pittsburgh? Great football teams have stout offensive lines. The Buffalo Bills offensive line needs a definte upgrade. Starting with the Center. Trey Teague Come on now!

133842[/snapback]

It was Pittsburgh's special teams that were their undoing that day, Sue.

It is the truth and furthers a point. If Harrington can go 14/7 and talk of getting benched, then Bledsoe should have been already.

Understand this, until Bledsoe is gone....I keep going.

133471[/snapback]

After Bledsoe gone then you will start B*tching about Losman.

Everyone needs to stop complaining as there is nothing you can do??

Gee why dont we run some more people out of town..like hmm Glen Parker..bitched so much they ran him out of town and he played awesome for a few more years after that....

Typical ice post.

Redundant.

Offensive.

Namecalling.

Get out of the sandbox.

133867[/snapback]

If I am in the sandbox, then you reading my stuff means you are in the sandbox as well? Why don't YOU leave? interesting concept.

So, go through all the files stuffed in your gray matter, and look for the one marked "how to ignore someone" or "how to look past a Bledsoe Bash in an otherwise thought provoking post" or "how to not hit reply and tell everyone how ICE is a crusader"... please - you people who fire at him every time  are just as bad as him, if not worse. You don't bring any topics up, at least he does that. All you do is wait for HIM to bring up a topic so YOU can remind us that he is crusading. GET OVER IT!

133799[/snapback]

No Steve, we all know no one can look at a post from 'ICE' and do anything besides B word and moan. It is funny though, for one so hated, one that contributes nothing to the board....why is it my post garner the greatest hit count?