Clausen

major

I need someone to sell me on why we should draft Clausen if he is available. Frankly, I don't get the hype behind this guy. What has he done to warrant this type of attention? I can see the rationale of getting Bradford, McCoy, Snead, or even Tebow, or even trading for Vick. I just can't understand where all the love for Clausen comes from. Again, I need someone to sell me on this. I look forward to reading your comments.

I need someone to sell me on why we should draft Clausen if he is available. Frankly, I don't get the hype behind this guy. What has he done to warrant this type of attention? I can see the rationale of getting Bradford, McCoy, Snead, or even Tebow, or even trading for Vick. I just can't understand where all the love for Clausen comes from. Again, I need someone to sell me on this. I look forward to reading your comments.

I would not waste a pick on Clausen before the third round, nor a pick of McCoy, Snead or Tebow before the fifth round. IMO this QB class is very, very weak

I'm not a Clausen backer but this might be easier if you state your reservations about the guy.

In his favor, he led a high scoring offense on a team with a bad defense. He had an excellent TDs to Ints ratio and has very good measurables. He was coached by a pro offensive coordinator in a pro-style offense for his entire college career.

What about Clausen do you not like?

Most of the criticisms about Clausen seem to stem not from his football exploits, but from his non-football exploits. Is this where you are coming from?

I'm not a Clausen backer but this might be easier if you state your reservations about the guy.

In his favor, he led a high scoring offense on a team with a bad defense. He had an excellent TDs to Ints ratio and has very good measurables. He was coached by a pro offensive coordinator in a pro-style offense for his entire college career.

What about Clausen do you not like?

Most of the criticisms about Clausen seem to stem not from his football exploits, but from his non-football exploits. Is this where you are coming from?

Not liked by his teammates is a major red flag. And I do not believe he has upside- I think he is as good as he will get. Bradford is the far better QB IMO

Not liked by his teammates is a major red flag. And I do not believe he has upside- I think he is as good as he will get. Bradford is the far better QB IMO

Bradford has a higher bust factor, spread guy that so far has never had to deal with any significant pressure, or hits, except the times he got hit he got hurt. He has yet to unveil his new arm after the surgery so thats a question mark, and being a spread guy, we have no idea how well he will pick up the complex pro playbook.

Clausen has the arm and no significant injury history, has played in and therefore grasped a prostyle offense, and If you watch any ND games from the past 3 yrs, you can see him get pummeled by opposing defenses and continually come back.

I am not saying Bradford won't be good for somebody, but this blind hate for Clausen is rediculous, Bradford has as many holes if not more than clausen. In fact the main thing that ppl love about him, which is short range accuracy, is the same things ppl say as to why Lefevours stats are meaningless. Its mind boggling.

An interesting take on Clausen.

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

I don't know why there is so much love for Bradford.

Spread Offense/Surgically Repaired Shoulder/Great College Team

Clausen

Pro Offense/Played through injuries ( turf toe injuries are apparently brutal to play through/terrible offense line and defense.

Bradford may have a more likeable personality but Clausen did what he could for an incomplete ND team. I also don't understand the difference between the good trait of swagger and the poor trait of cocky.

I would be surprised if Clausen is there for the Bills at 9, if he is, I say, get him. Play Edwards next year, who knows maybe a Brees/Rivers situation happens. Remember Brees was a bust, hence the Rivers pick. In any event, let Clausen sit for a bunch of games and see how the season shapes up. Draft OT and NT after that

Not that I'm dismissing your opinion because I'm not. But I was interested to know the original poster's reservations.

An interesting take on Clausen.

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

I don't know why there is so much love for Bradford.

Spread Offense/Surgically Repaired Shoulder/Great College Team

Clausen

Pro Offense/Played through injuries ( turf toe injuries are apparently brutal to play through/terrible offense line and defense.

Bradford may have a more likeable personality but Clausen did what he could for an incomplete ND team. I also don't understand the difference between the good trait of swagger and the poor trait of cocky.

I would be surprised if Clausen is there for the Bills at 9, if he is, I say, get him. Play Edwards next year, who knows maybe a Brees/Rivers situation happens. Remember Brees was a bust, hence the Rivers pick. In any event, let Clausen sit for a bunch of games and see how the season shapes up. Draft OT and NT after that

lol....Trent = Brees. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think the preface of 'who knows' put it in its proper context, in that strange things happen sometimes. I don't believe that Trent will ever approach Brees. The truth is I have no idea whether Edwards is any good or not, most of the time, whomever was playing QB for the Bills was running for his life. If the team stayed out of injury trouble and added a few pieces could Edwards play improve to the point where he wasn't seen in such a negative light. Ah, the days prior to the Arizona knock out game two years ago. Every pundit was lauding Edwards as a future star in the NFL.

I think the preface of 'who knows' put it in its proper context, in that strange things happen sometimes. I don't believe that Trent will ever approach Brees. The truth is I have no idea whether Edwards is any good or not, most of the time, whomever was playing QB for the Bills was running for his life. If the team stayed out of injury trouble and added a few pieces could Edwards play improve to the point where he wasn't seen in such a negative light. Ah, the days prior to the Arizona knock out game two years ago. Every pundit was lauding Edwards as a future star in the NFL.

Perhaps, but there were some of us who recognized it for what it was; a cream-puff schedule to start. It doesn't take an NFL elitist to realize he's nothing special. It's time to move on.

Perhaps, but there were some of us who recognized it for what it was; a cream-puff schedule to start.

I think I'd take Clausen if he were available. I don't watch much college football. But from what I've read, he played in a pro style offense and didn't have the benefit of a good defense. Yet, he was somewhat successful. Sounds like the situation he could be in Buffalo next year. Bradford, maybe. Not sure if I'd pick him at #9 or not. See how the shoulder looks on his workout day next month. I'd probably take Tebow in third, hire a QB throwing coach, and start working him in at QB during pre season and mop up situations.

As far as the "cream-puff" schedule, you must have been reading into the future if you knew at the time it was "cream-puff". Seattle won a playoff game the year before as did Jacksonville. I believe they got to the AFC Championship in 2007. As the season went on it became apparent both teams sucked. They looked like solid wins at the time though, thus the hysteria. I even remember thread on here about who does Trent most remind you of. Jim Kelly was the hands down winner.

As a side note, on the day Trent got injured vs. Arizona, Kyle Orton threw for 334 yards in a Bears win. Just sayin' ...

Perhaps, but there were some of us who recognized it for what it was; a cream-puff schedule to start. It doesn't take an NFL elitist to realize he's nothing special. It's time to move on.

I agree, if clausen is there at 9, take him. I don't want to see Clausen come in and start game one, especially if the OL situation doesn't improve. Fitz or Edwards to start the year, whomever wins the job in preseason and then depending how things go, clausen either during year or next.

Just for laughs here is a quote from Peter King, SI date lined Sept 30,2008

MVP of the Quarter: Trent Edwards, QB, Buffalo. My MVP is tied for 12th in touchdown passes with four, 10th in passing yards with 930 and 10th in passer rating at 93.5. But the Bills are 4-0, and the difference is an efficient quarterback who, like all the great ones, plays better when the game's on the line than any other time of the game.

The Bills trailed 16-10 at Jacksonville in the fourth quarter, and Edwards threw a beautiful rainbow to James Hardy in the corner of the end zone to win it. The Bills trailed Oakland by nine with six minutes left, and Edwards led scoring drives to win it. The Bills trailed St. Louis by eight at the half Sunday, and Buffalo put up 25 points in the last 30 minutes to rout the Rams. He's got the steady-handed Brady cool about him, too.

Oh well,

I agree, if clausen is there at 9, take him. I don't want to see Clausen come in and start game one, especially if the OL situation doesn't improve. Fitz or Edwards to start the year, whomever wins the job in preseason and then depending how things go, clausen either during year or next.

Just for laughs here is a quote from Peter King, SI date lined Sept 30,2008

MVP of the Quarter: Trent Edwards, QB, Buffalo. My MVP is tied for 12th in touchdown passes with four, 10th in passing yards with 930 and 10th in passer rating at 93.5. But the Bills are 4-0, and the difference is an efficient quarterback who, like all the great ones, plays better when the game's on the line than any other time of the game.

The Bills trailed 16-10 at Jacksonville in the fourth quarter, and Edwards threw a beautiful rainbow to James Hardy in the corner of the end zone to win it. The Bills trailed Oakland by nine with six minutes left, and Edwards led scoring drives to win it. The Bills trailed St. Louis by eight at the half Sunday, and Buffalo put up 25 points in the last 30 minutes to rout the Rams. He's got the steady-handed Brady cool about him, too.

Oh well,

And this is why Peter King does not work in the front office of any NFL team, his eye for talent is glass

I think I'd take Clausen if he were available. I don't watch much college football. But from what I've read, he played in a pro style offense and didn't have the benefit of a good defense. Yet, he was somewhat successful. Sounds like the situation he could be in Buffalo next year. Bradford, maybe. Not sure if I'd pick him at #9 or not. See how the shoulder looks on his workout day next month. I'd probably take Tebow in third, hire a QB throwing coach, and start working him in at QB during pre season and mop up situations.

As far as the "cream-puff" schedule, you must have been reading into the future if you knew at the time it was "cream-puff". Seattle won a playoff game the year before as did Jacksonville. I believe they got to the AFC Championship in 2007. As the season went on it became apparent both teams sucked. They looked like solid wins at the time though, thus the hysteria. I even remember thread on here about who does Trent most remind you of. Jim Kelly was the hands down winner.

As a side note, on the day Trent got injured vs. Arizona, Kyle Orton threw for 334 yards in a Bears win. Just sayin' ...

I wouldn't say reading into the future, but there were some who didn't want to get "carried away" with the hysteria during those first 4 weeks. Seattle and Jacksonville were "different" teams in '08 compared to '07. Some saw, others didn't. No big deal, but in the end, those who thought maybe Trent was getting too much attention were right.

He did play well during those games (I'd even say he played well against S.D.) but he should have been.

Like I said, the main point was that he's not good enough to start in the NFL, and we should move on.

I'm not sold on Clausen, or any rookie for that matter, just pointing out the TE thing.

And ya, I think Orton is a very serviceable QB. It'll be interesting to see how he does should Marshall get snagged by another team...

I wouldn't say reading into the future, but there were some who didn't want to get "carried away" with the hysteria during those first 4 weeks. Seattle and Jacksonville were "different" teams in '08 compared to '07. Some saw, others didn't. No big deal, but in the end, those who thought maybe Trent was getting too much attention were right.

He did play well during those games (I'd even say he played well against S.D.) but he should have been.

Like I said, the main point was that he's not good enough to start in the NFL, and we should move on.

I'm not sold on Clausen, or any rookie for that matter, just pointing out the TE thing.

And ya, I think Orton is a very serviceable QB. It'll be interesting to see how he does should Marshall get snagged by another team...

It's not that he is not good enough to start. It's that he hasn't been good enough to start. Plenty of guys have taken a lot longer to figure things out than Trent has. There's still a chance for the guy, but he'll have to do some major improving. Eli Manning didn't have the light in the attic till the last two games of the year of his fourth year. Drew Brees was bad his first three full years.

We just don't know yet, but if you have a chance to bring in Clausen or Bradford, you have to take it.

Snead???

Why would you understand Snead, but not Clausen???

If we draft Jevan Snead, I will turn in my Bills Nation membership card. <_<

It's not that he is not good enough to start. It's that he hasn't been good enough to start. Plenty of guys have taken a lot longer to figure things out than Trent has. There's still a chance for the guy, but he'll have to do some major improving. Eli Manning didn't have the light in the attic till the last two games of the year of his fourth year. Drew Brees was bad his first three full years.

We just don't know yet, but if you have a chance to bring in Clausen or Bradford, you have to take it.

I hate to make this another "TE" thread, but I'm going to reply anyway. Sorry!

My personal beef with TE has been his lack of trust in his WR's, at least enough so to throw them the ball and allow them to make plays. It's almost a fear, or so it appears.

I don't recall ever seeing that in Manning (Eli) or Brees.

Like you say, though, there may still be a chance, but I think in TE's case, it's being able to be coached out of bad habits, whereas with Brees and Manning, I think it was more of a "gaining experience" thing.

I hope you're right, for Trent's sake.

I am not sold on the Clausen guy either. I watched a lot of ND games and he had to throw the ball alot cause they were down so much late in games. I am also not sold on any of the QB's coming out this year, none of them knock me off my feet. But, there is a lot of winners in this class and winning is the mentality we need in our leaders (even if they dont start go TE). Come on guys we all know what we need, a LT and NT with the first two picks sign a Porters to mentor Maybin and draft another OLB. Pick up Tebow or McCoy in the third (I like McCoy better but Tebow seems to be a better guy and has a better influence on his team) to be the QB in waiting, both winners anyway you look at it. But you have to give any QB we have behind center a line to work with.