Stimulus is creating jobs...in China!

Tonight I saw Senator Bob Casey (D) of Pennsylvania explaining how upset he is that the Obama administration has refused to address a problem where stimulus money is actually creating jobs in China.

Found a story here. You should also watch the accompanying video in this link.

What was particularly upsetting to Casey was that they have been telling the WH since last year that they need to halt the stimulus money and fix this loophole, but the WH has turned a deaf ear, so a group of Democratic Senators have opted to go public. Naturally, this is what you get when you pass a bill without reading it, but Casey reported tonight that over $1.6 BILLION in taxpayer funds are going overseas, mostly to China, to create...get this...green jobs.

I doubt the MSM will give this legs because they're too busy counting if the house has enough votes to pass the Senate's health care clusterfkukc, but if this DOES get legs, it only makes things worse for a president who has been turning a deaf ear to anyone other than his direct advisors.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I saw Senator Bob Casey (D) of Pennsylvania explaining how upset he is that the Obama administration has refused to address a problem where stimulus money is actually creating jobs in China.

What was particularly upsetting to Casey was that they have been telling the WH since last year that they need to halt the stimulus money and fix this loophole, but the WH has turned a deaf ear, so a group of Democratic Senators have opted to go public. Naturally, this is what you get when you pass a bill without reading it, but Casey reported tonight that over $1.6 BILLION in taxpayer funds are going overseas, mostly to China, to create...get this...green jobs.

I doubt the MSM will give this legs because they're too busy counting if the house has enough votes to pass the Senate's health care clusterfkukc, but if this DOES get legs, it only makes things worse for a president who has been turning a deaf ear to anyone other than his direct advisors.

No no no, they are focused on jobs jobs jobs.

Not surprised. There have been many reports of stimulus fund abuse. Why would any of us have confidence in the Federal Government's ability to make efficient use of money?

I imagine that nobody has offered any solutions on how to fix the problem. Everyone complaining and no one giving solutions does not solve problems. So I'm sure Obama, like everyone, knows there is a problem, but does not know the fix.

I imagine you didn't read the article or look into the situation. The Democratic Senators who are complaining already have a fix and they've been trying to get Obama to help them take action quietly, but no. He wouldn't respond. So now they're public with a very simple fix: they need to first freeze spending, and then amend the bill so no money goes overseas.

Big Cat must be so glad you post here. Much like Jimmy Carter is so glad Obama is president right now.

Not surprised. There have been many reports of stimulus fund abuse. Why would any of us have confidence in the Federal Government's ability to make efficient use of money?

Abuse is one thing. But providing jobs for China, when the plan was to stem US unemployment at 8%. That's an embarrassment of Conner proportions.

DOE response - http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/201...03/2218063.aspx

This story has been covered on NPR a few times over the last few months. I can't find the links, but they did go into how complex this was. The US has long lagged behind in "green technology", so now that we want to build some turbines, we have no one to manufacture them. So they have to be bought from china until there are manufacturers in the USA that can make them. So ya, building a turbine gives people in the US jobs, buying the tubine from China lets them hire people also.

NYT post from 2009 on this..

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/...exas-wind-farm/

DOE response - http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/201...03/2218063.aspx

This story has been covered on NPR a few times over the last few months. I can't find the links, but they did go into how complex this was. The US has long lagged behind in "green technology", so now that we want to build some turbines, we have no one to manufacture them. So they have to be bought from china until there are manufacturers in the USA that can make them. So ya, building a turbine gives people in the US jobs, buying the tubine from China lets them hire people also.

NYT post from 2009 on this..

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/...exas-wind-farm/

So buying the turbines in China would create 300 jobs in Texas while creating 10x that amount in China. Let's see how that math works out, mmmkay?

More than 1.5 BILLION dollars in our children's taxes for 300 jobs is, ummm, oh, hey, $5 MILLION per US job. Quite the bargain by stimulus standards, I guess.

That's some good use of taxpayer funds right there.

So buying the turbines in China would create 300 jobs in Texas while creating 10x that amount in China. Let's see how that math works out, mmmkay?

More than 1.5 BILLION dollars in our children's taxes for 300 jobs is, ummm, oh, hey, $5 MILLION per US job. Quite the bargain by stimulus standards, I guess.

That's some good use of taxpayer funds right there.

Because of Conner's man love for the President, he's not going to have a problem with that. But he will parrot things like "we went from a surplus to a deficit" without understanding how these things actually happen.

Can control how businesses spend/use the money they are given right? If the administration would have placed those stipulations people would have really gone after them.

Are you honestly suggesting that if the government took the time to ensure that stimulus money could only go to US companies for US job growth that the American people would have been MORE pissed about the stimulus bill?

Is that what you're saying?

Are you honestly suggesting that if the government took the time to ensure that stimulus money could only go to US companies for US job growth that the American people would have been MORE pissed about the stimulus bill?

Is that what you're saying?

pBills has a chronic problem with verbal diarrhea. He just opens his mouth and all sorts of crap spews out that he has absolutely no control over.

You better have a Hazmat suit on if you're going to wade into a conversation with him.

pBills has a chronic problem with verbal diarrhea. He just opens his mouth and all sorts of crap spews out that he has absolutely no control over.

Given that, you would think he'd post something intelligent by accident every once in a while.

You better have a Hazmat suit on if you're going to wade into a conversation with him.

Or a lobotomy.

Because of Conner's man love for the President, he's not going to have a problem with that. But he will parrot things like "we went from a surplus to a deficit" without understanding how these things actually happen.

No I do have a problem with it, but I also understand it's not as simple as "freeze spending". The spending freeze comes with risks and unknown consequences. So I can understand him not wanting to do that.

No I do have a problem with it, but I also understand it's not as simple as "freeze spending". The spending freeze comes with risks and unknown consequences. So I can understand him not wanting to do that.

So you're okay with the risks and unknown consequences of spending billions of dollars we don't have, but the risks and unknown consequences of NOT spending money is troubling to you?

That's great.

So you're okay with the risks and unknown consequences of spending billions of dollars we don't have, but the risks and unknown consequences of NOT spending money is troubling to you?

That's great.

Other people's money.

And every time I see this thread I can only wonder...we - American consumers - run a quarter-TRILLION dollar trade deficit with China. Where did people think the stimulus money was going to eventually end up? :D