What the hell is up with these earthquakes?

Steely Dan

(CNN) -- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake rattled southern Taiwan on Thursday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage, injuries or deaths.

The quake struck at about 8:20 a.m. (7:20 p.m. Wednesday ET) in a mountainous region about 25 miles northwest of Taitung, on the southeast coast, and 40 miles east of Tainan and Kaohsiung on the southwest coast.

The region includes Taiwan's Maolin National Scenic Area.

The quake was followed by several aftershocks, the largest reaching a 4.8 magnitude. The initial 6.4 quake rumbled to the surface from 14 miles deep.

The Taiwan Ministry of Interior and the National Fire Agency said electricity was cut off near the epicenter but had no further information.

The earth is being ripped apart. This many earthquakes in such a short time seems weird to me.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Global warming

You think that's far-fetched? Some punk I know keeps saying it's the beginning of the Christian apocalypse. I think he cites one verse in the book of Matthew. Of course, he ignores the surrounding verses that predict all sorts of other "signs." <_<

You think that's far-fetched? Some punk I know keeps saying it's the beginning of the Christian apocalypse. I think he cites one verse in the book of Matthew. Of course, he ignores the surrounding verses that predict all sorts of other "signs." <_<

Is he angry or happy when he tells you that? If he truly believes he will be swiped up in the rapture he should be ecstatic!! Somehow I doubt he is. :thumbsup:

Is he angry or happy when he tells you that? If he truly believes he will be swiped up in the rapture he should be ecstatic!! Somehow I doubt he is. :w00t:

Neither, really. He says it quite matter-of-factly.

Earthquakes happen everyday all over the world. Haiti was a big quake in a poor country with little to no building code standards, so that made it even worse.

Then Chile happens (obviously better building standards have kept the death toll down).

Now the media is just salivating everytime a quake happens.

There was a quake about an hour ago in Vanuatu (6.4).

USGS Earthquake Data

The media is pandering to the lowest common denominator. Right now earthquakes are the disaster dujour.

This summer it will be oppresive heat, followed by wild fires, by the time that's over we'll be getting into the heart of hurricane season and they can start ratcheting up the news stories for that, then rinse, repeat. :w00t:

Earthquakes happen everyday all over the world. Haiti was a big quake in a poor country with little to no building code standards, so that made it even worse.

Then Chile happens (obviously better building standards have kept the death toll down).

USGS Earthquake Data

I just tweeted this post. That's right.

The media is pandering to the lowest common denominator. Right now earthquakes are the disaster dujour.

This summer it will be oppresive heat, followed by wild fires, by the time that's over we'll be getting into the heart of hurricane season and they can start ratcheting up the news stories for that, then rinse, repeat. :w00t:

You forgot flu pandemic, asteroids, global cooling/warming, supervolcano, death of bees, mad cow disease...each of these has had its day and then passed. Today it's earthquake.

You think that's far-fetched? Some punk I know keeps saying it's the beginning of the Christian apocalypse. I think he cites one verse in the book of Matthew. Of course, he ignores the surrounding verses that predict all sorts of other "signs." :w00t:

Tell him about the ancient Mayans.

USGS Earthquake Data

Right, looking at the list of 5+magnitude quakes just in the last month

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/rec.../quakes_big.php

There are freaking hundreds of them. The media is just excitable now.