For the legal eagles

dib

My neighbor, who is in jail for felony assault, and false imprisonment, is up for a competency hearing friday. Does anyone know wht happens if he's judged incompetent to stand trial. He likes to beat up women so I am concerned for my wife and daughter. So, serious responses please.

I'm supposed to move because the SOB gets off on a technicality? Dont think so. I have my concealed and so does my wife. I'll invoke the castle law 17 times. Why 17? That's all my magazine holds.

Couple of questions.

Is he in jail awaiting trial on the charges?

Was bail set?

If he is in jail awaiting trial, and bail was set, then that still applies. If he was not given bail pending a psych e v a l, then after the psych e v a l he will have a bail hearing (maybe).

In the federal system, a person deamed incompetent to stand trial would be sent to a federal facility where they will work to get the person to a mental level that they would be competent, then they would be returned to the US District Court for trial. They may, or may not be free on bail / release conditions after being found competent. Worst case scenario is that the individual ends up with an insanity ruling and goes to a mental hospital (never gets convicted).

I wouldn't move right away unless that is actually a real option (selling house? Don't let the prospective buyer know that your neighbor is who he is) let the justice system work.

Hope this helps.

I'm supposed to move because the SOB gets off on a technicality? Dont think so. I have my concealed and so does my wife. I'll invoke the castle law 17 times. Why 17? That's all my magazine holds.

My next question was whether or not you had a pistol! Good for you, and talk with kids/wife about the situation so they know what to do if something happens.

Couple of questions.

Is he in jail awaiting trial on the charges?

Was bail set?

Yes to both, actually for 2 of the charges the bail was so high I guess no one wanted to mortgage their house for him. For some of the other charges there is a notation of NB which I assume means no bail

And thank you for your help.

I would guess that he is not getting out of jail anytime soon based on the fact that he has No Bail and high bail for various charges. I doubt that he will go to trial that quickly either, so I wouldn't worry to much right now. FL (you are in FL right?) seems to be decent on giving real sentences to scumbags, so if he gets convicted I wouldn't expect him to be out on the street anytime soon.

Remember, you can never have too much ammo!

My neighbor, who is in jail for felony assault, and false imprisonment, is up for a competency hearing friday. Does anyone know wht happens if he's judged incompetent to stand trial. He likes to beat up women so I am concerned for my wife and daughter. So, serious responses please.

Emailed this to my sister, who's a defense attorney. I'll let you know what she says.

Best guess: even if he's found incompetent, he's still incarcerated. There's no "drooling idiot" get-out-of-jail-free card that I know of.

Dib not to make light of your situation but when I saw the thread title and who started it I figured you were trying to figure out how to legally get your avatars back. :w00t:

Good luck with your actual problem.

Dib not to make light of your situation but when I saw the thread title and who started it I figured you were trying to figure out how to legally get your avatars back. :w00t:

Good luck with your actual problem.

alas, I think I'm doomed. I have been marked and must wander the wilds wearing a hair shirt proclaiming-"Unclean, unclean"

Actually......I wasn't been serious. :w00t:

Obviously the correct answer is: Hope that somebody in the joint 'shivs the mofo'. Either that or burn down his house when he's away. Dude like that probably takes the insurance cash (if there is any) and splits.

Dib was it you or someone else who posted a thread awhile back about a nut-case neighbor guy and fearing for your wife and daughter? Sounds real familiar

You remember too? I thought I was just having an odd deja vu.