Bills Weather Conditions for Home Games (Stats)

I would remove the Toronto games from your calculations, even though they are "home" games, they were still indoors.

The theme of the post wasn't so much about Orchard Park weather conditions as it was about the false perception of frequent bad weather, and the fanbase's (and the team's) mindset regarding weather-based personnel decisions.

i.e. - what level of concern or import should be given to weather when selecting a quarterback? As far as I'm concerned, it should have no effect. Get the smartest, best field general available who can run an offense in whatever's dealt to him. What do we want - some poo-say who can only function when skies are blue and the birds are singing? I assume if the athlete has made their way through the college ranks they can throw it better than Peter Brady. If the conditions are so bad (which I think I've established that they usually aren't), it's probably gonna be a day for running anyway, or at the very least, there'll be a QB on the other side of the field no better suited for the conditions. It's a wash.

The Toronto series factors into the potential for inclimate weather for Bill's "home games", of which there are 8.

Sorry you missed it. If it makes it any easier, let's just say there's a 1 in 8 chance for bad weather that's been eliminated for non road games.

If you don't mind the Bills having a lefty QB, here's a possible candidate. Like T.O. - he already has his own reality show....

I immediately looked up the 2007 game at Cleveland for their description. It says 30 degrees and clear.

The game was played in a Blizzard with driving winds and a white field throughout.

You guys are looking at the wrong source. Check out the gamebooks at NFL.com. That Cleveland game is accurately described.

I agree with the OP, though. But this is old news:

QUOTE (Mr. WEO @ Dec 5 2009, 11:55 AM)

So let's "play along" and take "cold" out of the general discussion and just consider "wind and rain". Going back at the game day weather descriptions of the Bills home games for 2007 and 2008 (that gets us a nice mix of the best Cali has to offer--JP and TE), let's see what the data tells us about the harshness of everyday weather in Buffalo in the fall and how it negatively affected the play of these Sunny State Softies:

In 2007, six of the 8 home games were played at game time temps of greater than 50 degrees. Only 2 of those listed any precipitation at all (one "drizzle", one "sprinkles"). Only 2 listed winds of greater than 11 mph, or any gusts. Of the "rainy" games (being very liberal with that term), the Bills won 1, lost 1. Of the "windy" games, again they split them. Of note, in a game which had cold/freezing rain/wind, TE threw for 4 TDs.

In 2008, the Bills won 2 games that recorded "showers" or "chance of rain"and lost one. They lost 2 "windy" games, but then again, they lost games with "calm" winds also.

So, we see two things:

First, what most Buffalo/Rochester residents figured out pretty quickly:the summer and fall in this region is typically great weather (Spring---not so nice!) and that the claim that "wind and rain" are significant factors for the first half or 2/3 of the season is pure nonsense.

Second, even the sadly skilled Cali QBs we have had in Buffalo were clearly not affected by either "wind" nor "rain".

Bad QBs are bad everywhere. Good QBs can play anywhere no matter where they went to High School.

It's a topic that will never die, unfortunately.

For a while, I’ve been wondering how much the reputation for adverse weather at Bills home games is exaggerated or real.

This thought came about because it seemed to me like almost every time I’ve watched a November of December from Orchard Park in the past few years, the broadcast team makes a comment about the “unusually balmy weather”.

For those of you who record and save all the games, go back and check them out. I’ll bet the weather is typical northeast autumn weather for the most part. Yeah, there’ve been a few games that were frigid, windy, snowy, rainy, etc. – but is it typical? Is is that much worse than about 10 other northeastern teams that play outdoors? I beleive I've seen more snowy conditions in New England and Denver.

Lately, there’s talk around here at TSW and the local WNY gin mills about drafting a QB that can handle cold weather conditions in Orchard Park, and who’s not from California or some such place where they operated in ideal conditions at teh college level.

How much of a factor should weather play in the decision, especially considering the inclusion of a December home game under the big top in Toronto?

I’ve compiled data from a web site that gives temperatures and conditions for each game from 2002-2009.

http://nflgateway.com/schedule.php?team=Bi...amp;season=2003

The weather descriptions are not all that comprehensive, and there were probably some windier than usual days not accounted for, but it gives some idea about what it was like. The weather conditions are approximate and as described on the web site, so don’t jump up my ass if they’re not exact or you remember it differently.

I don’t know if this was a forecast or actual conditions. It may also be that when conditions were given as “rainy”, there was a short shower for a few minutes at some point in the game. I don’t know all the details.

The idea of collecting this info is to get actual data and see if it would prove or disprove the preconceived perception that Bills home games frequently being played in blustery, blizzard conditions. I think you’ll find this interesting.

Here are the findings for home games between 2002-2009:

Sept. – total of 14 home games, Sunny (7), Cloudy (7 ),

avg Sept temp: 70

Oct. - total of 15 home games, Sunny (7), Cloudy (6 ), Rain (1), Windy (1),

avg Oct temp: 54

Nov. - total of 16 home games, Sunny (5), Cloudy (11 ),

Avg Nov temp: 48

Dec/Jan – total of 19 home games, Sunny (4), Cloudy (7), Windy (1), Rain (3), Snow (4),

avg Dec/Jan temp: 39

64 home games from 2002-2009

Average temp at Bills game: 52 degrees

Cloudy: 31 times, or 48%

Sunny: 23 times, or 36%

Rain: 4 times, or 6%

Windy: 2 times, or 4%

SNOW: 4 TIMES, or 6% !!!

The 2 Toronto games from 08 and 09 were counted as Sunny, with a temperature of 72 degrees.

There were only two January games, so they were lumped into the December stats.

I believe wind is probably a bigger factor than cold or snow. The Toronto games will reduce that effect as compared to pre-2008 stats. I just don't see that Bill's home conditions are all that unusual that it plays a huge part in drafting decisions.

Draw your own conclusions.

I don't care what the weather forecast says ... The wind is always a factor at The Ralph. Especially in Oct, Nov, Dec/Jan.

Wind is definitely the biggest factor at Bills games. It can be 70 degrees and sunny at RWS and still feel like 30 with the wind chill.

Lol your blood must be thinning out. The Miami home game fooled the hell out of me this year. Went from 3 layers to a loose hoody by game time.

Sorry you missed it. If it makes it any easier, let's just say there's a 1 in 8 chance for bad weather that's been eliminated for non road games.

I didn't miss it, you're missing my point. How can weather (temperature/wind/precipitation) be a factor when a game is played indoors. The only thing that might affect is how fast the teams hurry to get on the warm bus from the warm locker room. I can make the opposite argument. Suppose there's a season where for some reason the Bills play at Atlanta, Indy, Minnesota, Detriot, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, and New Orleans. Now is weather a factor?

Wind is definitely the biggest factor at Bills games. It can be 70 degrees and sunny at RWS and still feel like 30 with the wind chill.

When I saw the initial thread wind was my first thought. That wind can make such a difference. Like the New England game where no one bothered throwing or if they did it was twice all day. Dome it is not, San Diego either. It takes a special quarterback to play at the Ralph.

I didn't miss it, you're missing my point. How can weather (temperature/wind/precipitation) be a factor when a game is played indoors. The only thing that might affect is how fast the teams hurry to get on the warm bus from the warm locker room. I can make the opposite argument. Suppose there's a season where for some reason the Bills play at Atlanta, Indy, Minnesota, Detriot, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, and New Orleans. Now is weather a factor?

Interesting but that will never happen. We only play two N.F.C. away games a seasonkn so we could only play Atlanta, N.O., Indy and Houston, or Detroit, Minnesota, Indy and Houston but not eight. At least not until N.E., Miami, and N.Y. get domes will we play eight road dome teams.

I would look at it differently. Moorman is one of the top punters in NFL histroy let alone just recently. Could he do that in such adverse conditions? Lindell has had a good career kicking in Buffalo. I really don't think the weather is that much of a factor.

Being able to place a football into tight spaces in the NFL is what seperates the ProBowl QB's from the never will be's. This starts with reading the defense quickly and then having the arm strentgh to deliver the ball accurately. This is the only time when arm strength matters. In fact it matters more in good weather where opposing DB's can cover more closely without fear of slipping. Noonne can place a football accurately in a 35mph wind regardless of arm strength.

Actually this "study/non-scientific investigation" should include away games as well, since many games are in the north east and not in domes either. Actually it would be cool to see something like this league wide and see how dome team fair vs. non dome ones.

at the end of the day you are really looking at maybe one game difference then most other teams that play in the cold .

giants staduim has crazy winds. Cleveland is a mess. Phila is not treat. Pittsburgh is rough , ect ,ect

Northeast teams have won in a variety of way over the years . From the Parcells Giants run and d teams to the pass happy Brady teams to a certain team that played with a no huddle

the key for us is to find an identity what ever it is an build a team around it for the next 10 years

put me down for the Jets model, but at this point anything that wins some games works for me

Actually this "study/non-scientific investigation" should include away games as well, since many games are in the north east and not in domes either. Actually it would be cool to see something like this league wide and see how dome team fair vs. non dome ones.

It wasn't actually a study, just a collection of semi-believeable factoids regarding weather. Again, for those who missed the point, how much merit is there with the notion of drafting or signing players based on their familiarity with cold. The same weather for both teams. Should a team draft a QB with greater velocity on the ball over a weaker armed QB with better feel for managing the game - all for the slightly greater possibilty of a bad weather game in December? I'll take the guiy with less arm who can win me three more games with his head, thank you.

at the end of the day you are really looking at maybe one game difference then most other teams that play in the cold .

giants staduim has crazy winds. Cleveland is a mess. Phila is not treat. Pittsburgh is rough , ect ,ect

Northeast teams have won in a variety of way over the years . From the Parcells Giants run and d teams to the pass happy Brady teams to a certain team that played with a no huddle

the key for us is to find an identity what ever it is an build a team around it for the next 10 years

put me down for the Jets model, but at this point anything that wins some games works for me

Exactly. Someone who gets it.

Sure, genearly speaking, regular season weather is not that bad. If we were a team good enough to play some home games during the playoffs, we'd know how important it is to be built for cold weather. For now, I think we're all justified in just hoping for a post-season berth, let alone home-field advantage, or even multiple-game appearances, so the original point holds up, for now.