K.Williams is the NT

Thoner7

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...ix-on-kyle.html

Nix on Kyle

Bills GM Buddy Nix seconded Chan Gailey's praise of defensive tackle Kyle Williams. The Bills think Williams can perform at nose tackle, at least on a rotational basis, in the new 3-4 defense, even though at 305 pounds he is not the prototypical size.

“We did it some (in San Diego)," Nix said, of playing without a prototypical nose man. "Jamal Williams was hurt a lot for us. When he was out, we weren’t as good. We had to improvise and do some things with other guys that were smaller. Kyle Williams is an exception. You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle). But there’s always exceptions to the measurables, and he’s one of them. He’s a playmaker. He’ll make plays at nose for us.”

---Mark Gaughan

I cant say I am thrilled with this. I love Williams and all, but I think he could be a stud at DE, and think he will be a bit of a let down at NT. Besides, we are going to add some DL guys anyway, so why not add an NT and let Williams move to the 5 tech.

Nix on Kyle

Bills GM Buddy Nix seconded Chan Gailey's praise of defensive tackle Kyle Williams. The Bills think Williams can perform at nose tackle, at least on a rotational basis, in the new 3-4 defense, even though at 305 pounds he is not the prototypical size.

“We did it some (in San Diego)," Nix said, of playing without a prototypical nose man. "Jamal Williams was hurt a lot for us. When he was out, we weren’t as good. We had to improvise and do some things with other guys that were smaller. Kyle Williams is an exception. You want to say 6-2, 6-3, 340 (at nose tackle). But there’s always exceptions to the measurables, and he’s one of them. He’s a playmaker. He’ll make plays at nose for us.”

---Mark Gaughan

I cant say I am thrilled with this. I love Williams and all, but I think he could be a stud at DE, and think he will be a bit of a let down at NT. Besides, we are going to add some DL guys anyway, so why not add an NT and let Williams move to the 5 tech.

FA, rookie, or traded-for NT on his way.

i agree that i would love to see him and stroud at the end spots, with a 325+ guy in the middle. but i could see williams at the nose. just look at the way he is built...solid and low to the ground. i suppose that he could put on a few lbs and be a bit closer to the prototypical size, or the scheme could be modified to fit his skill set. or...this could just be a lot of pre draft posturing by our new fearless leaders. guess we'll find out in a couple months.

I gree with Williams going to end. I think we need a NT still, and honestly wouldnt be too against us giving up a player and a pick (maybe Lynch, Whitner and 2nd?) and trade up with Detoit, grab Suh/McCoy, Bulaga or another tackle with our 2nd 1st rounder, QB in rd 3, ILB in rd 4, then best available. Maybe that LT rumor would come true to back up Jackson, Sign a WR, then....Who knows? Playoffs might be a real possibility... Probably just wishful thinking, and I know people may be against trading Lynch and/or Whitner, but they are both (arguably) currently the 2nd best players at their positions on this team, and are expendable. And if that could get us a LEGIT NT, would be worth every bit of that deal...

I was afraid of this. Switching to a defense that we don't have the lynchpin needed for it to be successful :rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree. We don't have any D-lineman that fit the 3-4. Williams and Stroud are strickly 4-3 DT's. They have neither the size to play the NT, nor the speed to play end. I think we can find the LB's, but D-line is going to be a mess. This team has so many holes to fill and now you throw in the 3-4. It may get worse before it get's better. I really think we should trade down, trade players for picks, whatever it takes to stock pile picks because we need a whole lot of help. We need WR's, T's, DE's, NT, QB, OLB's.

If Nix thinks our new defense can be successful with Williams at NT he is wrong. Williams is strictly a 4-3 DT. NT is the most important position in a 3-4 defense, we need a big, talented body.

Who the hell are you, and why do you waste your vast knowledge of football on a message board?

Thread title should read "K.Williams is a NT" not "the NT." :rolleyes: I'll be damned if this staff is gonna go with him as the main guy in the center. In fact, I read Chan's quote to mean that Williams CAN do it and might only be in there as a last resort.

Didn't Buffalo Rumblings have a good article about 3-4 Over being the way to make KW work well as a NT? It seems like he'd be fine for that 3-4 scheme.

Didn't read the article, but I think it could work. The 3-4 Over is referring to the 1-gap 3-4, the same system that Wade Phillips ran when he was here, and currently runs in Dallas (it was developed by his father, Bum Phillips I think), where Jay Ratliff, who is actually lighter than Kyle Williams, does quite well. However, George Edwards learned the 3-4 from Bill Parcells, who strongly believes in a 2-gap 3-4... which might mean otherwise...

Thread title should read "K.Williams is a NT" not "the NT." :rolleyes: I'll be damned if this staff is gonna go with him as the main guy in the center. In fact, I read Chan's quote to mean that Williams CAN do it and might only be in there as a last resort.

Apparently absolutes dominate within the confines of TBD.

Nix on Kyle

---Mark Gaughan

Williams from SD might be available...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/ru...date%3d20100226