8.8 earthquake

Jim in Anchorage

Random question here, but what's the correct terminology to describe an earthquake? I keep hearing things like biggest, largest, and even hugest. I would have thought something like "most powerful" would be more accurate. Am I wrong? I assume they are not talking about the size of the area because after they say something like, "one of the biggest earthquakes ever recorded," they go on to talk about the 8.8 measurement.

richter scale

I awoke this morning and heard that there has been a Tsunami warning for all of NZ. At least where I am (Nelson) we're pretty sheltered.

I've been watching the sea for the last few hours sipping cocktails and wondering if one will come into Tasman Bay.

So since it's an order of magnitude talking about size would be correct? Power just seems more logical.

All you're doing is measuring the deflection of a arm on a seismometer; you could do the same thing holding a fishing pole and measuring the amount the tip whips back and forth. The more rapid[violent] the earth movement's are the more the tip deflects. Rapid movement=power. After all, if the earth raised 10 feet in a month, you would never feel it. 2 feet in a millisecond is massively destructive, and would qualify as "powerful"

Add to above-words like "biggest" "largest" are media creations . No scientist would use them. You are correct- powerful is the proper terminology.

Okay, thanks. I figured that had to be right, but after hearing it said wrong something like 4 dozen times today (including in that Wiki link) I thought maybe I was wrong.