8.8 earthquake

Jim in Anchorage

6.9 on Okinawa last night. Yawn.

6.9 sure. 8.8?

Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude; in terms of energy, each whole number increase corresponds to an increase of about 31.6 times the amount of energy released.

A tsunami after a magnitude-9.5 quake that struck Chile in 1960, the largest earthquake ever recorded, killed about 140 people in Japan, 61 in Hawaii and 32 in the Philippines. That tsunami was about 3.3 to 13 feet (one to four meters) in height, Japan's Meteorological Agency said.

The tsunami from Saturday's quake was likely to be much smaller because the quake itself was not as strong.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK quoted earthquake experts as saying the tsunami would likely be tens of centimeters (inches) high and reach Japan in about 22 hours. A tsunami of 28 centimeters (11 inches) was recorded after a magnitude-8.4 earthquake near Chile in 2001.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_quake_tsunami

So it sounds like Japan should be expecting another tsunami.
Just heard on the news they expect a 10-15 foot tsunami in Hawaii (but then went on to say they can't predict them well.) Doesn't sound like much but then I read this from the link above my post.

A tsunami after a magnitude-9.5 quake that struck Chile in 1960, the largest earthquake ever recorded, killed about 140 people in Japan, 61 in Hawaii and 32 in the Philippines. That tsunami was about 3.3 to 13 feet (one to four meters) in height, Japan's Meteorological Agency said

I don't know much about tsunami's, so I can't say if this is a big deal or not. From being in Hilo, I do recall much of the town was pretty flat for a good distance from the coast.

Just heard on the news they expect a 10-15 foot tsunami in Hawaii (but then went on to say they can't predict them well.) Doesn't sound like much but then I read this from the link above my post.

I don't know much about tsunami's, so I can't say if this is a big deal or not. From being in Hilo, I do recall much of the town was pretty flat for a good distance from the coast.

Just think of it this way. Before BFLO built the out and inner harbor breakwaters, the city was prone to damage from lake seiches (kinda like an inland tidal wave). One such wave put where the Aud was under by about 10 feet. Swept people out of their beds as they slept.

8 fisherman were swept away and drowned when a 10 foot seiche hit Chicago in 1954.

Endless Hawaii beach film of nothing happening, all networks. Not even a still photo of Chile.

They've had Chile coverage on all day. Of course they're going to switch to national coverage when there is the possibility of something happening.

Random question here, but what's the correct terminology to describe an earthquake? I keep hearing things like biggest, largest, and even hugest. I would have thought something like "most powerful" would be more accurate. Am I wrong? I assume they are not talking about the size of the area because after they say something like, "one of the biggest earthquakes ever recorded," they go on to talk about the 8.8 measurement.