Canada vs USA

meazza

Yeah, you sure didn't think. That's a continuing theme.

We just watched the best in the world play with passion and integrity. And they did it FOR FREE.

Your response was to call them entitled and say they didn't deserve to be there because they're spoiled and just trying to get something checked off a list. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. I hate people who accomplish more than me.

I wonder why people thing that's stupid? :thumbsup:

Just let it go already with the wise cracks.

You are totally wrong and assume too much.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you are saying is that the old system sucked? That guys like Craig and Eruzione didn't deserve it what they did? They were busts in the NHL.

How does "sending the best" translate to the "1980 team didn't deserve their result"? Jesus, is there a level of stupid you can't sink to?

Folks, we have all become the USSR... :unsure:

Really? So all of the players that were on the ice in this tournament were members of the "military" who were amateurs because they technically weren't being paid to be hockey players? In reality, NO ONE is the USSR because everyone is actually playing by the same set of rules.

The playing field is now level for pretty much the first time since 1960. I don't know what !@#$ing romantic notion you're living from but Olympic hockey pretty much sucked when the Soviets were at their peak because they were actually sending their best players (who had played together for a decade in many cases) and everyone else couldn't. It was so bad the Canadians threw up their hands and stopped sending teams. The country that INVENTED the sport QUIT sending teams.

I'm sorry but the "greatest sports moment" was the aberration and that's what made it special. One out of a million isn't reason enough to skew the rules from the best getting together every 4 years to see which country can get it done, no matter what sport we're talking about.

Just let it go already with the wise cracks.
Why? You can dish it out but you can't take it? Amateur.
You are totally wrong and assume too much.

Whatever, Eric. Your whine fest is almost as pathetic as your take that the pros don't deserve to go because they're already somebodies.

Congrats to our Canadian brothers. We had you guys worried for a while there. In the end, we lost, but we are definitely getting there. I cannot say we should have won the game today, but we could have. We have a young group of guys and a solid team.

P.S. For what it is worth, if Canada had to win in overtime, I wish it had been anyone else but Crosby who scored the goal. It is too bad we left him all alone in front of Miller.

How does "sending the best" translate to the "1980 team didn't deserve their result"? Jesus, is there a level of stupid you can't sink to?

Really? So all of the players that were on the ice in this tournament were members of the "military" who were amateurs because they technically weren't being paid to be hockey players? In reality, NO ONE is the USSR because everyone is actually playing by the same set of rules.

The playing field is now level for pretty much the first time since 1960. I don't know what !@#$ing romantic notion you're living from but Olympic hockey pretty much sucked when the Soviets were at their peak because they were actually sending their best players (who had played together for a decade in many cases) and everyone else couldn't. It was so bad the Canadians threw up their hands and stopped sending teams. The country that INVENTED the sport QUIT sending teams.

I'm sorry but the "greatest sports moment" was the aberration and that's what made it special. One out of a million isn't reason enough to skew the rules from the best getting together every 4 years to see which country can get it done, no matter what sport we're talking about.

^^^

Here's the windup... The pitch... Darin swings... And he misses! Totally fans him on that one!

Did the Americans quit? Did other nations stop sending players.

And if Canada didn't like it... That is what the Summit Series was for... Oh, wait... Canada was supposed to win that series 8-zip... Did they? Of course Canada did... And it wasn't 8-0.

Thank God there was Bobby Orr:

"If there's a goal that everyone remembers, it was back in ol' 72

we all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger

and all I remember is sitting beside you

you said you didn't give a !@#$ about hockey

and I never saw someone say that before

you held my hand and we walked home the long way

you were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished

when the little sensation gets in your way

not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder

Isn't it amazing you can do anything

We hung out together every single moment

cause that's what we thought married people do

Complete with the grip of artificial chaos

and believe in the country of me and you

crisis of faith and crisis in the Kremlin

and yeah, we'd heard all that before

it's wintertime, the house is solitude with options

and loosening the grip on a fake cold war..."

P.S. For what it is worth, if Canada had to win in overtime, I wish it had been anyone else but Crosby who scored the goal. It is too bad we left him all alone in front of Miller.

the US team was leaving guys in front of Miller all night.

^^^

Here's the windup... The pitch... Darin swings... And he misses! Totally fans him on that one!

And if Canada didn't like it... That is what the Summit Series was for... Oh, wait... Canada was supposed to win that series 8-zip... Did they? Of course Canada did... And it wasn't 8-0.

Thank God there was Bobby Orr:

"If there's a goal that everyone remembers, it was back in ol' 72

we all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger

and all I remember is sitting beside you

you said you didn't give a !@#$ about hockey

and I never saw someone say that before

you held my hand and we walked home the long way

you were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished

when the little sensation gets in your way

not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder

Isn't it amazing you can do anything

We hung out together every single moment

cause that's what we thought married people do

Complete with the grip of artificial chaos

and believe in the country of me and you

crisis of faith and crisis in the Kremlin

and yeah, we'd heard all that before

it's wintertime, the house is solitude with options

and loosening the grip on a fake cold war..."

You are by far the weirdest person on this board

^^^

If that's your opinion then it's pretty much a walk off grand slam. All but guaranteed.

Who cares?

No, they didn't win them 8-0. Of course, they were putting together a team on short notice to play another team of all stars that had been together for the better part of a decade so the fact they won was actually pretty damn impressive (to say nothing of not taking Howe, Cheevers, Sanderson, Hull, or Orr and losing Martin, Cashman and Perrault during the series).

I'm sure you won't let that get in the way of another bout of stupidity, though. You know, since you're all but admitting that the best players in the world could barely handle the Soviet "amateurs in name only" but that should still be the standard.

Yet somehow you're going to claim you've won something.

All I can say is what I said during the Winter Classic at the Ralph a couple years ago; "wow, that ending was so shocking, who would have saw that one coming." :devil:

A friend of mine who is a Pens fan tried to tell me how Miller let in a soft goal and it's his fault, I offered to buy him a Canada jersey with a cute little "Crosby" sewn on the back... I just asked that anytime he wears it, he has to trip and fall a lot when there is obviously no reason for it.

The only American outside of Pittsburgh celebrating this win is Gary Bettman. :unsure:

Congrats to Canada....great game and a GREAT tourney...how people would not want the BEST athletes a country has to compete is beyond me....

You (and others) gotta be the most shallowest people on the board . :devil:

We will see if they (NHL) send players to Sochi... I hope not. But, Ovie will be chomping at the bit. It hasn't been decided yet. So somebody is thinking about it... And it is not because Sochi is halfway around the world. Well, that is what they (NHL) will tell the "I gotta have my star player now world." :unsure:

People really lose what the spirit of the Olympics is all about. Even sadder now that the USSR has been gone for 20 years. And now this... When did basketball, hockey, other team sports start sending their pros... Just a few years after the fall of the USSR. Truly sad.

Obviously referring to the pile of crap you're spewing.

No. Wrong. There are probably many more that feel the same way... Just afraid to talk and get insulted and shouted down by the likes of you. Or, figure it is just not worth it. There is still a lot of fight left in me.

I do admit... Sid Crosby (Pat kane, Jonathan Toews, Ovie or whoever will be next) does make for nice theatre. Kinda like your uncle beating you at arm wrestling when you are 8.

Don't stars in other Olympic sports disgust you? I betcha you would just love Kobi hitting a game winner at the buzzer in the Olympics. :unsure::devil:

Ryan Miller among the U.S. athletes walking into the Closing Ceremony. Smile on his face, camera in his hand. Glad he's getting to experience this moment.

Deepest in bullsh--? Without question.

So the spirit of the Olympics is BS?

Nice. :unsure:

This from 14 years ago.

So this is BS

"It's been 10 years since the distinction between "amateur" and "professional" was deleted from the Olympic charter-- and what has it bought us? Many argue that the advent of professionalism has devalued the Olympic spirit envisioned by the modern event's originator, France's Pierre de Coubertin. De Coubertin believed the modern Olympics should be a pristine, apolitical arena where "amateur" athletes indulge in pure competition and rejoice in the heights of human achievement.

The Olympic mystique suggested that anyone could be a contender. Ordinary people dreamed of competing in the Olympics, and the dreams spurred athletic activity all over the world. Now that has changed... Olympic athletes have sponsors, expensive equipment, and the luxury of training full time. Money has changed the look and feel of the Olympics in the second half of the 20th century..."