Canada vs USA

meazza

After watching the game twice, I just needed tos ay I really wish Chicago had taken the rumored anyone-on-the-roster-but-Miller and draft picks trade offer for #1 and the chance to pick Kane. I also wish that we had signed Amherst native Brooks Orpik when he was a FA. Both players really impressed me in the game and tournament (3rd period giveaway by Kane notwithstanding).

That is the part that bothers me about Kane (not to mention the off ice stuff). He really needs to clean up that part of his game.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the part that bothers me about Kane (not to mention the off ice stuff). He really needs to clean up that part of his game.

I think that will come with time and maturity. Remember how young he is. The off-ice stuff I simply discount with one question...if I had his $$, adoration of females, and the prestige of being #1 overall pick, how would I have handled it at 22? Not saying its right, but he seems like a decent enough guy who gets an overly inflated sense of self at times. But so did Jim Kelly, imagine if the internet & cell-phone cameras were in full force during the late 80/early 90s.

My thoughts...as I stumble into the office after a night of celebration...

It was the near perfect hockey game. For fans of the sport, if you ever need an example of why you love hockey, point to this game. The drama, the excitement, the celebration and most importantly, the class shown by players of each team to each other after the game. No singular game has ever encapsulated all that is right about the sport like yesterday did.

To the US team, congratulations on a fantastic tournament. No one will ever take you lightly again. Hopefully, this game sparks the youth of America with a new love affair with the game and your programs continue to grow and churn out amazing talent. I think though that you might already be there...you've won the under 16, under-17 and the World Juniors. You've got some great kids coming up the pipeline. Welcome to being a hockey superpower.

As for my Canadian team: thank you. Thank you for ending the Olympic games on the highest of notes. Thank you for giving me a sports moment I will never, ever forget.

What a great game.

Well then they need to clean their house.

Pro's are Pro's. If they get 11 million they want 12.

There are lot's of people who enjoy seeing dedicated amateur's reach the glory of the Olympics.

If their not the "best" who cares?

Darin's an idiot like the rest of them arguing this matter. Why get tangled up in their straw man arguments. They are just lemmings that follow the current trend that is devoid of any moral honor.

Everybody knows what is happening and that professionals in the Olympics violates the Olympic spirit. It it very clear what the Olympic spirit is. It is not about who wins and if the best are playing.

Also--

Olympic Spirit "will give Olympic athletes and sports much higher profiles and the increased attention they deserve...

So professionals need much higher profiles and increased attention THEY DESERVE? Sydney Crosby... Sorry Sydney, Pat Kane, and Ovie... I hardly knew ye! :)

Again... It is all laid out in black and white and still people get caught up in the trappings.

Then you have the corrupt moral compass that programs like "Own the Podium" bring. Ya, "Own the Podium" is real nice when considering Pierre de Coubertin's statement: "The important thing is not to win, but to take part", and view athletes who try their best but finish last as epitomising the "Olympic spirit". :wallbash:

Also this from 2007:

"Baron Pierre de Coubertin originally conceived a revival of the Ancient Greek Olympic Games, aspiring to promote international athletics and to conserve the Olympic ideals of sportsmanship, unity and amateurism; essentially, it was for the love of achievement rather than for awards.

This week, the Canadian Olympic Committee desecrated those ideals when it announced it will give cash rewards of $10,000, $15,000 and $20,000 respectively for bronze, silver and gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

The bonuses are hardly a motivating factor to drive athletes to the top — surely, Olympic athletes will be motivated by their achievements rather than money — but the very idea of attaching a price to Olympic success directly contradicts the values on which the Games were founded.

Sports are rapidly becoming less about the contest and more about the income — salaries, $300 tickets, TV contracts, endorsements, half-time concerts, MasterCard commercials and million-dollar field goal kicking contests rule the athletic world.

However, the Olympics have remained the last vestige of athletic idealism. Athletes often compete to the detriment of their professional lives.

While the economic benefits of hosting the Olympics are significant, host countries often nearly bankrupt themselves in preparation. Merchandise and tickets might still bring in revenue, but for those directly involved with the Olympics, it's about sport and competition.

It's easy to argue athletes need the incentive, given the financial sacrifices they make to compete for their countries. Figure skaters remain at the amateur level to compete internationally, and other athletes are unable to pursue careers because of their training commitments.

However, a tiered, success-driven reward is clearly not just about need, since it ignores athletes who perform at a lower level but make just as great a financial sacrifice.

It's also not all about incentives — the COC likes to think of it more as a reward to show appreciation — but last year's Road to Excellence report clearly suggested medal counts are tied to statistics, indicating a large motivating factor behind the rewards is to increase performance.

Proponents of the rewards might point to sports like hockey and basketball, where professionals can now compete. But in addition to ignoring the fact Cold War-era rewards in communist countries necessitated professional involvement for equal competition, this fails to recognize the Olympics remain the last amateur facet of commercialized sports.

Pro athletes leave their contracts, managers and salaries behind to compete for the glory of their nations and for pride, and nothing more.

Yet the COC plans to give athletes direct financial rewards for success, which goes against everything the Greeks and de Coubertin envisioned.

Darin's an idiot like the rest of them arguing this matter. Why get tangled up in their straw man arguments. They are just lemmings that follow the current trend that is devoid of any moral honor.

Oh look, Eric's got a boyfriend. Isn't that sweet. Hey Jim, regret piping up in support of your new buddy yet? :)

Moral honor? Yeah, let's leave the best athletes in the world at home because they've progressed and have money. But it's not about that, even though each of you has used money/fame as your examples on why they shouldn't be allowed to play. Right? :lol:

Everybody knows what is happening and that professionals in the Olympics violates the Olympic spirit. It it very clear what the Olympic spirit is. It is not about who wins and if the best are playing.

When did you become the spokesperson for "everybody"? Did I miss a memo? From this thread, I'd say it's about 95% the opposite of what you think it is. I find it very funny that you "give everyone a trophy" people ignore how the sportsmanship of the games has INCREASED over what it used to be like. I'll grant that much of that has to do with the lack of tension from the Cold War era but it's still VERY evident to everyone with a clue that the athletes are far more respectful of each other than they used to be. I'm sure at least a small part of that is due to the fact that a larger number of competitors have actually done something to get there.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the leveling of the playing field and the now REAL sense of accomplishment that an Olympic medal brings.

Also--

Olympic Spirit "will give Olympic athletes and sports much higher profiles and the increased attention they deserve...

So professionals need much higher profiles and increased attention THEY DESERVE? Sydney Crosby... Sorry Sydney, Pat Kane, and Ovie... I hardly knew ye! :lol:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa! I hate famous people who accomplish stuff. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Again... It is all laid out in black and white and still people get caught up in the trappings.

Says the guy posting other people's opinions.

Then you have the corrupt moral compass that programs like "Own the Podium" bring. Ya, "Own the Podium" is real nice when considering Pierre de Coubertin's statement: "The important thing is not to win, but to take part", and view athletes who try their best but finish last as epitomising the "Olympic spirit". :wallbash:

Great. Let's give everyone who watched the Olympics a trophy too. There's just nothing better than a global movement to marginalize real accomplishment.

You may want to go ahead and copyright "Commitment to Mediocrity" for your "Very Special Olympics".

I think everything should end in a tie, that way everybody wins and no one is sad. :wallbash:

Nobody should be sad... Nobody... That is not what the spirit is about... How some people totally miss this concept is beyond me.

You guys have nothing but straw man arguments. It is all laid out on how what the Olympic spirit should be, you just don't like it... So you choose to bastardize it and look the other way.

I am the one who gets accused of pissing on everybody's parade when really the problem is the other way around. Every 4 years the spirit gets pissed on more and more in the name of "progress."

I am done with you Philistines, you know my position... :)

Nobody should be sad... Nobody... That is not what the spirit is about... How some people totally miss this concept is beyond me.

Funny, the only person actually whining is you.

You guys have nothing but straw man arguments.

You need to look up the definition of straw man arguments. It doesn't mean what you think it does.

It is all laid out on how what the Olympic spirit should be, you just don't like it... So you choose to bastardize it and look the other way.

Are you going to break out into song next? Your points are like something out of a bizarro Disney movie.

I am the one who gets accused of pissing on everybody's parade when really the problem is the other way around. Every 4 years the spirit gets pissed on more and more in the name of "progress."

I agree that the organizers have lost the Olympic spirit with their ticket prices and $28 mittens but the athletes haven't been a problem at all (let me caveat that by saying Plushenko is a douche bag). Don't let that get in the way of a good charade, though.

I am done with you Philistines, you know my position... :wallbash:

You sure? Because you were done yesterday too.

is this a bad time to bring up the Bills in Toronto?

:thumbsup:

jw

Nah. Some mostly good-natured smacktalk aside, there wasn't much jingoistic fervor on either side of the latest "border war." Instead, we've moved on to debating the Olympic Spirit, with a couple of people wishing we could go back to the good old days when only the Soviet Bloc sent full-time athletes to the Games.

Good to see you back, and I hope the weekend gave you enough time to rest and recuperate ...

Nah. Some mostly good-natured smacktalk aside, there wasn't much jingoistic fervor on either side of the latest "border war." Instead, we've moved on to debating the Olympic Spirit, with a couple of people wishing we could go back to the good old days when only the Soviet Bloc sent full-time athletes to the Games.

Good to see you back, and I hope the weekend gave you enough time to rest and recuperate ...

Ahhh... I was thinking Pre-1952, Helsinki games. :thumbsup::bag:

You guys have nothing but straw man arguments. It is all laid out on how what the Olympic spirit should be,

You mean where only men compete naked to honor Zeuz, and they're only held on Mount Olympus? And nations hire professional athletes to compete for national prestige?