Canada vs USA

meazza

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: You all agree with me, except you all don't want to admit it. :angry: Then there is infantile Darin, a hopless case... He's homeschooling the youngsters on peyote use.

Because it's more fun to watch? The Olympics is about the excellence of a sport. How could you have an olympic event and not have the best of your country at it? Why would an amateur want to win gold? So he could get spotted by the big clubs and get signed?

It's like the world cup. I"m a huge soccer fan, and there is no way in hell that i owuld watch it if the best available players aren't selected.

End of story.

No, he really hasn't and it's kind of embarrassing that you'd even make that comparison.

EVGENI NABOKOV 53 53 3164 2.26 34 9 9 2 1649 119 .928 0 0 6

RYAN MILLER 52 51 3078 2.16 30 14 7 5 1597 111 .930 0 0 2

Embarrassing? What the hell are you watching cause its not the Sharks. Nabokov has won games on his own this season for San Jose. Even the game here in San Jose the Sabres outplayed the Sharks but Nabby outplayed Miller. Numbers above are virtually identical. Sure Miller might be better, but if he is its not by much. So you using the word embarrassing is just dopey.

EVGENI NABOKOV 53 53 3164 2.26 34 9 9 2 1649 119 .928 0 0 6

RYAN MILLER 52 51 3078 2.16 30 14 7 5 1597 111 .930 0 0 2

Embarrassing? What the hell are you watching cause its not the Sharks. Nabokov has won games on his own this season for San Jose. Even the game here in San Jose the Sabres outplayed the Sharks but Nabby outplayed Miller. Numbers above are virtually identical. Sure Miller might be better, but if he is its not by much. So you using the word embarrassing is just dopey.

Yeah, embarrassing because it's not numbers that tell the story of how a player is performing and it never has been. My mother would have ridiculous numbers playing on that San Jose team. Frankly I thought EN was much better last season and should have won the Vezina.

You won't find a single hockey person who isn't a San Jose Sharks fan to agree with you and there's a reason for that.

Because it's more fun to watch? The Olympics is about the excellence of a sport. How could you have an olympic event and not have the best of your country at it? Why would an amateur want to win gold? So he could get spotted by the big clubs and get signed?

It's like the world cup. I"m a huge soccer fan, and there is no way in hell that i owuld watch it if the best available players aren't selected.

End of story.

Yeah, the cross country skiers are all looking to get in the pro league's :rolleyes:

Yeah, embarrassing because it's not numbers that tell the story of how a player is performing and it never has been. My mother would have ridiculous numbers playing on that San Jose team. Frankly I thought EN was much better last season and should have won the Vezina.

You won't find a single hockey person who isn't a San Jose Sharks fan to agree with you and there's a reason for that.

Predictable response and your still wrong. Stats can tell the story. Especially the save pct one. Honestly, the Sharks haven't been playing that great. If you have been watching them you would know that. But keep riding the Miller hype train completely oblivious to the rest of the league.

So tell me why do the pros feel the need to steal playing time in the Olympics? Because they are the best? That my friend is a total load of crap.

they are the best in the world - the exact concept of the olympics. Do you also think that Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn should be replaced by some 17 year old kids from KB who don't compete in the world cup circuit?

Predictable response and your still wrong. Stats can tell the story. Especially the save pct one. Honestly, the Sharks haven't been playing that great. If you have been watching them you would know that. But keep riding the Miller hype train completely oblivious to the rest of the league.

You keep riding the "Nabokov is elite" train. I'll keep laughing when he comes up small in every big game situation. Just like he always has. Enjoy his last season in San Jose, which is what he's playing unless he does something spectacular in the playoffs.

I watch the Sharks all the time. I lived in San Jose for 5 seasons and saw them upset Detroit in the playoffs with Archie Irbe in net. You're barking up the wrong tree there.

Miller hype train? :thumbsup:

it took me a while to get on board with sending pro atheletes to the olympics, but now i realize i want to see the best athletes in those sports play against each other....fair or unfair, those happen to be NHL and NBA players(for the most part) in basketball and hockey...now if you want to take those sports out of olympic competition fine, but for the time being...send the best players....

No it is not.

"I want it all mentality."

Pros playing in the Olympics is so they can obtain the opportunity to have everything under the disguise that "only the best are playing." It should be left to the amatuers. Under the old way, there were many players that went on to be stars that never had the opportunnity to try for an Olympic medal. Ya, that may be too bad... But that's the breaks.

Having these stars in the Olympics is like having management come in and collect overtime taking money out of the working stiff's pocket. Participating in the Olympics have become such a chic thing to do... That the superstars want it on their resume too. That they feel entitled to it because they are best in the game." They should soley reserve the Olympics for the guy who hasn't made a name fo themself yet.

i also like how the pro's have embraced the olympic spirit...i get how some of you feel that they are only in it to pad their trophy cases...i really think that both nhl and nba players truly buy into the national pride aspect of the games, even if for the 2 weeks....if they were going through the motions as prima donnas i would feel differently, but i really believe that these guys and gals play for the pride of representing their respective countries...

So much for the appearance of objectivity, eh?

Would a Canadian loss today would be a national tragedy?

They are the most experienced officials, they will let these 2 teams play the North American style game. Would you rather a bunch of Europeans officiate the game and call penalties on every clean body-check? These guys will let the players decide the game.

Not at all, it's a hockey game. We didn't even get a medal last Olympics and I don't remember a huge uproar. This time the worst we can do is silver, what's the problem?

GO CANADA!

i also like how the pro's have embraced the olympic spirit...i get how some of you feel that they are only in it to pad their trophy cases...i really think that both nhl and nba players truly buy into the national pride aspect of the games, even if for the 2 weeks....if they were going through the motions as prima donnas i would feel differently, but i really believe that these guys and gals play for the pride of representing their respective countries...

I agree with this. Many of the players truly love the Olympic experience and hence why many stepped up their level of play to be in consideration. It's the chance to play for your country, which in sports, is the greatest honor of them all. Both the US and Canadian NHL players have embraced the 'Olympic moment'. I've heard numerous stories of how players are content eating in the general athletes village and really getting to know their fellow countrymen. The players have been supporting their teams in other events. Maybe the Olympics give these guys 2 weeks to not be "overpaid athletes" and really play for the love of the game.

And think of it this way, if the NBA didn't send out players for the first Dream Team and embarrass every other country during those games, do you think we'd see the same level of international disparity we see in the game now? Keep in mind that there are now basketball superpowers.

They are the most experienced officials, they will let these 2 teams play the North American style game. Would you rather a bunch of Europeans officiate the game and call penalties on every clean body-check? These guys will let the players decide the game.

Not at all, it's a hockey game. We didn't even get a medal last Olympics and I don't remember a huge uproar. This time the worst we can do is silver, what's the problem?

GO CANADA!

I was thinking about this last night after Finland beat Slovakia. Isn't it almost better to win the bronze than the silver in terms of emotions. At least when you win the bronze, you go out on a win and you get to celebrate. You "win" the silver and you really can't be happy or celebrate at all, you just sit there and wonder what went wrong.

All I ask for is a great game to cap off a fantastic tournament. And people, can we just leave it to the fact that it is a hockey game. Sure winning is nice, but let's leave the "my country is better than yours!" childish nonsense at the door and cheer on the players who have chosen to represent our country.

I'm a proud Canadian, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with our neighbours down below. I spend too much time in America to know how great a country it is.