What Has Your Cell Phone Survived

/dev/null

We carry them everywhere and anywhere. So where have you taken your phone and what have you done to it where it survived?

Considering my username you can tell I work in IT, so I've heard some stories about what people have done to break their Blackberries (toilet, bucket of paint, grill, pool, ocean, falls, washing machine)

Personally I dropped mine off the outside steps of a 3 story building. Battery popped out so I put it back in, dusted it off and it was good to go.

Now the holster on the other hand, I destroy those regularly.

Not a phone, But I left a Garman GPS on the tail of a 4 seat airplane I was flying during the pre flight, still in the tie down. Well, hour in to the flight I realize it's missing, and immediately remembered what I had done. Get back to the airport and just in case if it's my 1-million shot day, I contacted airport maintenance to see if they would drive down the runway I used and take a quick look. Well sure enough a few minutes later here comes the maintenance guy in his truck with a big grin on his face. Antenna a little tweaked, but still dutifully reporting lat/long. Given the spot on the runway where he found it, it hit the asphalt at a minimum of 60 MPH.

Not a phone, But I left a Garman GPS on the tail of a 4 seat airplane I was flying during the pre flight, still in the tie down. Well, hour in to the flight I realize it's missing, and immediately remembered what I had done. Get back to the airport and just in case if it's my 1-million shot day, I contacted airport maintenance to see if they would drive down the runway I used and take a quick look. Well sure enough a few minutes later here comes the maintenance guy in his truck with a big grin on his face. Antenna a little tweaked, but still dutifully reporting lat/long. Given the spot on the runway where he found it, it hit the asphalt at a minimum of 60 MPH.

If you treat your electronics that way... How do you treat your passengers?... :D:devil:

Through the washer n dryer. LCD was full of water. Took the thing apart and let it dry out, a week later, still didn't work, one week after that, works like a charm? :unsure::nana: Can't believe it.

hah..my son did that with his phone. Wasn't as fortunate though as we did the same thing taking it apart. We were too late to save it.

I was sitting on the couch drinking a glass of beer when Wifey called.

Struggling to pull my cell phone out of my front pocket, when it finally cleared it slipped from my fingers, travelled in a slow-motion high (over my head) arc. Of course I caught it perfectly with my left hand - which was holding the tall glass of suds.

KerPlop! Nothing but net!

Took it apart, shook the beer out and expected it to die. Had to replace the battery because it refused to hold a charge after that abuse. The phone itself, however is still functioning decently. Lost the camera though.

I used to really be embarrassed about the fact that I've dropped my Motorolla into the toilet on three occasions, but seems like that's not all that uncommon....so I feel much better now :rolleyes:

hah..my son did that with his phone. Wasn't as fortunate though as we did the same thing taking it apart. We were too late to save it.

Same here and with no insurance & I refused to pay full price to Verizon :thumbsup: so i pulled out a retro from the drawer of retro cellphones had it activated and it works like a charm. The battery bag sure gets heavy by the end of the day though. :thumbsup:

Never in water, but I have routinely been on a ladder and dropped it onto a tile floor, figure about 5-6 feet. I have a BB Storm with the hard case, usually the hard case comes apart, so I just snap it back together. Phone never has a problem.

Through the washer n dryer. LCD was full of water. Took the thing apart and let it dry out, a week later, still didn't work, one week after that, works like a charm? :thumbsup::thumbsup: Can't believe it.

I did the washer/dryer thing - took it apart, wrapped it in a paper towel and buried it iin silica powder overnight to suck any moisture out - worked fine after that.

Not cell phone but ipod:

Dropped over 50 times easily. Thrown about 20 feet after i was messing around and it slipped out of my hand ripped the ear phone jack out and flew down the driveway

Forze to my cousins driveway for 2 weeks. Yes 2 Weeks during tht winter. I just happen to look down one day getting out of my car and bam there it is. took about a day to recover, but got it to work after that.

2 days later it goes through the wash. Takes about 2 weeks but works perfectly again.

Goes through the wash 2 weeks later, have yet to try it again. I think i will try it tonight see how that goes....I will give you an update tomorrow

Went out bought a Zune. Best decision of my life!

I'm not an IPOD guy, my son has one. I cant stand the "proprietary" bs that comes along with an IPOD.

I'm just wondering why you like the Zune so much? Ease of use?

4-5 years ago when my dad first got a cell phone, he just had to get a belt clip for it. That was the one thing he had to get for christmas. A day or two later, he returned from work only to realize that his phone had fallen off of his belt. 3 months later when spring time rolled around, he found the phone in the parking lot. It had fallen into a snow bank that night. He brought it home and amazingly, it still worked.

My son constantly messes up with dropping it in water, or jumping into the water with it in his pocket, one simple solution that he has found is to place it in a ziplock bag full of uncooked rice. The rice draws the mositure out and in about 24 hours the phone is good as new!

I'm not an IPOD guy, my son has one. I cant stand the "proprietary" bs that comes along with an IPOD.

I'm just wondering why you like the Zune so much? Ease of use?

It's really easy to use, i bought a 120gb ZUNE, flat black and i paid just as much as i would of for a 8gb ipod touch. Holds 3x as many songs!!!!! The price was worth it, ($300).

You can upload videos and pictures to it, plus the fm tuner feature really sold me, if i want to take a break from my own music listen to some radio i can.

You can set your own background on it, its not just the whit background like you get in the ipods.