For the Alabamians out there...Spencer Johnson

Beerball

Gilbertown, AL. The community is invited to join local sports celebrity and Buffalo Bills player, Spencer Johnson, and other sports celebrities in hosting the Spencer Johnson 2nd Annual Alabama Sports Festival. The goal of the event is to encourage kids to get academically fit. Spencer has enlisted the support of his NFL friends to help make this event a success.

Not sure where Gilbertown is, but if you're nearby check this out.

I am glad. The guy had 43tkls and 2 sks as a DT starting only 3 games he mostly played spot duty. He is another guy who is better suited to play in a 3-4 defense. Should be a beast at DE.

I sure hope he can become a good 3-4 DE. The Bills really don't have much in the way of certainties for switching to that scheme, so I am hoping guys like Johnson, Stroud, Maybin, and Posluszny can make some sort of seamless transition. If not, it could get ugly.

I sure hope he can become a good 3-4 DE. The Bills really don't have much in the way of certainties for switching to that scheme, so I am hoping guys like Johnson, Stroud, Maybin, and Posluszny can make some sort of seamless transition. If not, it could get ugly.

You want to see what an ugly 3/4 defense looks like? I'll show you ugly! Imagine our 3-4 defense with this man lined up as NT. Now that's ugly! (But not necessarily in a bad way.)

I believe our guys are actually better suited to a 3-4. Even Gailey said it.

You want to see what an ugly 3/4 defense looks like? I'll show you ugly! Imagine our 3-4 defense with this man lined up as NT. Now that's ugly! (But not necessarily in a bad way.)

I am interested in seeing his reps at th combine and pro-days.

I believe he is a beast but we need 2 NTs. I was thinking Jason Ferguson.

I dont understand why people are so intrigued by a picture of a 360 pound defensive tackle, that depicts him as fat?

Do you people think Ted Washington was skinny? Sam Adams? Kevin Williams? Vince Wilfork? Tommie Harris?

I doubt any of those guys look any better with his shirt off.

NEWSFLASH...Defensive tackles are supposed to be fat!

I believe our guys are actually better suited to a 3-4. Even Gailey said it.

Wow.

The Bills are better suited to a 3-4? Lemme see:

A 3-4 DE should have good size to take on double teams, yet still have the ability to push the pocket to create pressure and also help to neutralize the outside run. Guys like Pittsburgh's Aaron Smith or New England's Ty Warren come to mind. Which Bills DE comes close to fitting this description? Maybe Spencer Johnson and/or Marcus Stroud, but that is more what we all hope rather than what we know. Both Johnson and Stroud would struggle w/ double teams, something they'll get a healthy dose of as DEs in the 3-4.

A 3-4 NT must be able to anchor the line, plug the A gap (guard to guard), and work to keep guys off the ILBs, so that they can chase plays. Guys like Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton, Cleveland's Shaun Rogers, and San Diego's Jamal Williams best reflect this. And the Bills' version? Kyle Williams is a bit smallish for the role. Now, some will mention another smallish NT in Dallas' Jay Ratliff, but he is the exception, NOT the rule. It's like saying all CBs can run 4.3 40 yard dashes well into their 30's 'cause Darrell Green could do it. Not true.

A 3-4 ILB should have good size (will take on guards and must be able to stack n shed 'em to get to the play) and have the ability to diagnose plays and run. Hitting ability is also a nice plus. Think of guys like New York's David Harris or San Fransisco's Patrick Willis. Now, the Bills have Kawika Mitchell and Paul Posluszny, but I am not as confident as Chan Gailey that either is a better fit as a 3-4 inside 'backer. Posluszny seems to be a better fit as either a 4-3 Mike (MLB) or as a Will (WLB) in the 4-3 or 3-4. I think as an ILB in the 3-4, he could be as miscast as Jonathan Vilma was when he was w/ the NY Jets. Vilma excels as a 4-3 middle 'backer (All Pro this season), but struggled mightily inside in the 3-4.

A 3-4 OLB is usually an undersized DE (the so called "tweener") who has the ability to rush upfield but also has the athleticism to chase plays sideline to sideline. Just as important, especially the way teams employ the zone blitzing w/ the 3-4 nowadays, the OLB should be adept @ dropping back in coverage. Guys like Miami's Joey Porter, Pittsburgh's James Harrison, and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware best illustrate this. Here is where the Bills are perhaps most sorely lacking in terms of the 3-4 and staffing. Right now, all we fans have are guys we HOPE can fill the bill, like Aaron Maybin. Maybin does have a great burst coming off the edge, but he also needs a lot of work on dropping back and in maintaining discipline, especially on misdirection plays, where he has the tendency to follow the flow of the play down the line and not be ready for the counters or reverses.

I'm all for optimism, but the fact of the matter is that the Bills have tried for years to run a Tampa 2-type defense, which emphasizes a smallish, quicker defensive front. Now, they're going to a front that still requires speed, but also now requires more size. Maybe the guys who have the question marks (Johnson, Stroud, Maybin) can make the transition, maybe not. But I certainly wouldn't go into this offseason (before any free agent signings and draft picks, that is) saying that the Bills are better equipped to run the 3-4 than they were the 4-3. That is just not true.

Wow.

The Bills are better suited to a 3-4? Lemme see:

A 3-4 DE should have good size to take on double teams, yet still have the ability to push the pocket to create pressure and also help to neutralize the outside run. Guys like Pittsburgh's Aaron Smith or New England's Ty Warren come to mind. Which Bills DE comes close to fitting this description? Maybe Spencer Johnson and/or Marcus Stroud, but that is more what we all hope rather than what we know. Both Johnson and Stroud would struggle w/ double teams, something they'll get a healthy dose of as DEs in the 3-4.

A 3-4 NT must be able to anchor the line, plug the A gap (guard to guard), and work to keep guys off the ILBs, so that they can chase plays. Guys like Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton, Cleveland's Shaun Rogers, and San Diego's Jamal Williams best reflect this. And the Bills' version? Kyle Williams is a bit smallish for the role. Now, some will mention another smallish NT in Dallas' Jay Ratliff, but he is the exception, NOT the rule. It's like saying all CBs can run 4.3 40 yard dashes well into their 30's 'cause Darrell Green could do it. Not true.

A 3-4 ILB should have good size (will take on guards and must be able to stack n shed 'em to get to the play) and have the ability to diagnose plays and run. Hitting ability is also a nice plus. Think of guys like New York's David Harris or San Fransisco's Patrick Willis. Now, the Bills have Kawika Mitchell and Paul Posluszny, but I am not as confident as Chan Gailey that either is a better fit as a 3-4 inside 'backer. Posluszny seems to be a better fit as either a 4-3 Mike (MLB) or as a Will (WLB) in the 4-3 or 3-4. I think as an ILB in the 3-4, he could be as miscast as Jonathan Vilma was when he was w/ the NY Jets. Vilma excels as a 4-3 middle 'backer (All Pro this season), but struggled mightily inside in the 3-4.

A 3-4 OLB is usually an undersized DE (the so called "tweener") who has the ability to rush upfield but also has the athleticism to chase plays sideline to sideline. Just as important, especially the way teams employ the zone blitzing w/ the 3-4 nowadays, the OLB should be adept @ dropping back in coverage. Guys like Miami's Joey Porter, Pittsburgh's James Harrison, and Dallas' DeMarcus Ware best illustrate this. Here is where the Bills are perhaps most sorely lacking in terms of the 3-4 and staffing. Right now, all we fans have are guys we HOPE can fill the bill, like Aaron Maybin. Maybin does have a great burst coming off the edge, but he also needs a lot of work on dropping back and in maintaining discipline, especially on misdirection plays, where he has the tendency to follow the flow of the play down the line and not be ready for the counters or reverses.

I'm all for optimism, but the fact of the matter is that the Bills have tried for years to run a Tampa 2-type defense, which emphasizes a smallish, quicker defensive front. Now, they're going to a front that still requires speed, but also now requires more size. Maybe the guys who have the question marks (Johnson, Stroud, Maybin) can make the transition, maybe not. But I certainly wouldn't go into this offseason (before any free agent signings and draft picks, that is) saying that the Bills are better equipped to run the 3-4 than they were the 4-3. That is just not true.

Maybe CG didn't say this? Maybe he meant 4-3?