Don't let the IOC catch you celebrating

PromoTheRobot

Hahaha. True. I'd guess it was probably Greg Beacham, who's been writing most of the stories from that venue (although JW did cover a couple of games there). Would I have called the IOC for a comment? Hmm. Of course, the USOC et al. did already ship snowboarder Scotty Lago out of town, which set a precedent of sorts ...

Much ado about nothing.

I agree.. however, I guess it's poor protocol to express one's own opinion on a public message board. :thumbsup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mostly a silly complaint, but if the IOC has one legit gripe, it was the underage drinking. That was a bit foolish.

True. She probably didn't even think about it -- the drinking age is 18 in Quebec, so she's "legal" at home -- but I suppose there could be a slap on the wrist for that.

Nothing about my post is "incessant".. hop down off your soapbox, AD.. I didn't particularly care for their celebration afterwards.. I'm not advocating stringing them up by their toes.

It wasn't an indictment of you personally, it's an indictment of the "Hot Pockets" society in which the most minor issues are given ridiculous amounts of airtime (Tiger Woods cheated on his wife! OMFG) while the world is basically burning around us.

I fully expect the IOC to spend a whole lot of time on this one and not nearly as much on why athletes are dying during training runs - because that's how it works.

And there's no way in hell I'm hopping off my soapbox. The air is rarefied up here. :thumbsup:

Nothing about my post is "incessant".. hop down off your soapbox, AD.. I didn't particularly care for their celebration afterwards.. I'm not advocating stringing them up by their toes.

What would you do if you won a gold medal? You celebrate. One has no right to judge others as classless when is lacking in that particular quality.

Cheers to the Olympians!

Are you suggesting that the winning team celebrating on the ice after the losing team and spectators have left is somehow not showing class?

I think the big issue is cameras. Everyone has a camera now. I've never owned a camera since I hate taking pictures yet I have access to a pretty decent camera on my iPhone.

If this kind of technology existed 20 years ago, I think many of our "classy athletes" would have a much worse reputation.

Are you suggesting that the winning team celebrating on the ice after the losing team and spectators have left is somehow not showing class?

I am saying that is not the way I would celebrate. I would never do anything that might bring eembarrassment to my country. It's not about me, it's about my country

I am saying that is not the way I would celebrate. I would never do anything that might bring embarrassment to my country. It's not about me, it's about my country

I don't see how anything they did brings any kind of embarrassment to their country. It should bring embarrassment to the people who are trying to make hay out of nothing.

If this kind of technology existed 20 years ago, I think many of our "classy athletes" would have a much worse reputation.

No question whatsoever. Guys like Mickey Mantle would have made Tiger Woods or Scotty Lago look like monks in comparison.

Yeah, but there's a a time and a place for this sorta stuff.. not particularly classy, IMO. :thumbsup:

right, a time like, say, after you win a gold medal and a place like, say, on the surface you won that gold medal.

this reeks a bit of sexism, if it were Brett Hull or Messier or whomever, no one would've blinked an eye. c'mon.

jw

Yeah, but there's a a time and a place for this sorta stuff.. not particularly classy, IMO. :thumbsup:

Like after the game, for example? I believe the fans were already gone and it is a Canadian venue. I can't think of a better, or more appropriate, time and place.

right, a time like, say, after you win a gold medal and a place like, say, on the surface you won that gold medal.

this reeks a bit of sexism, if it were Brett Hull or Messier or whomever, no one would've blinked an eye. c'mon.

jw

Women smoking! And drinking! Straight from the can/bottle! Scandalous!

'S funny, I never even considered that, but you may have a point.

And KD, I am SO stealing the "can't spell idiocy without IOC" idea...

Women smoking! And drinking! Straight from the can/bottle! Scandalous!

'S funny, I never even considered that, but you may have a point.

Don't worry. They will be tarred and feathered this afternoon.

jw

Great point, I didn't think of that angle. If it was the guys, people would have the "way to go boys" attitude.

If the Canadian women did this in an American rink, I would say, not cool, but it's their home ice advantage.

Don't worry. They will be tarred and feathered this afternoon.

Heh. I'm almost convinced that the IOC would prefer to throw its little party without having to put up with any of those pesky athletes...

And as a friend from Calgary reminded me after I broke out the "can't spell idiocy" line on Twitter, you also can't spell "celebrate" without B-E-E-R.

Be my guest! :thumbsup:

seeing a women smoke a cigar repulses me. And kissing a girl after she smokes a cigar is nasty. Cigarettes are bad enough

I'm surprised Pete. You are always one of the most open-minded people here.