Where Do Great LT's Come From?

Astrobot

I don't get where this notion of Jason Peter's as a good pass blocker is coming from? He got McNabb killed quite a few time when facing DeMarcus Ware, and plenty of other times when he was on national television. The same could be said the year before when he was lazy and got Edwards and Losman killed a few too many times. The sack numbers for his last year as a Bill were over 12 IIRC, that is not Pro-Bowl caliber. Besides he was a malcontent that didn't want to be here, which was a no-win situation for Brandon and company.

The notion of Peters as a good pass blocker comes from the fact that Peters is an excellent pass blocker. Seriously.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Profootballfocus has him as the sixth best pass blocking tackle in the league, and two of the guys he's behind are RTs, and RT is a much easier position to pass block at. So they have him as the 4th best pass blocker in the league. And this is in a year in which Peters had ankle problems and still fought through them by staying on the field in games when he obviously wasn't at his best.

Peters is a terrific pass blocker.

And nobody has ever shown in any way that Peters didn't want to be here. What has been shown consistently is that he didn't want to be here FOR THE MONEY THE BILLS OFFERED.

This isn't the main point of the thread, and I probably should have ignored this guy, but ...

2009 Draft

Rd Sel Player Pos School Team/Result

1 2 Jason Smith OT Baylor Rams / Back-up

1 6 Andre Smith OT Alabama Bengals / Back-up

1 8 Eugene Monroe OT Virginia Jaguars / Starter

1 21 Alex Mack OC California Browns / Starter

1 23 Michael Oher OT Mississippi Ravens / Starter

1 28 Eric Wood OC Louisville Bills / Starter

2 39 Eben Britton OT Arizona Jaguars / Starter

2 49 Max Unger OT Oregon Seahawks / Starter

2 51 Andy Levitre OG Oregon State Bills / Starter

2 54 Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma Vikings / Starter

2 58 Sebastian Vollmer OT Houston Patriots / Back-up

2 60 William Beatty OT Connecticut Giants / Back-up

3 75 Robert Brewster OT Ball State Cowboys / Injured

3 77 Antoine Caldwell OC Alabama Texans / Back-up

3 78 Louis Vasquez OG Texas Tech Chargers / Starter

3 79 Kraig Urbik OT Wisconsin Steelers / Back-up

9 Starters, 1 Injured, 6 Backups.

At LT, First Round, 3 of the 5 were Starters in their first year.

At LT, 2nd Round, 3 of the 5 were Starters in their first year.

After that round, none was a starter.

Astro

I am sure if you show bust it will be long too.

i absolutley hate this argument.

obviously there are picks that turn into busts.

its just that the percentage of getting a great LT is much higher early on in the draft than the percentage of getting one later.

now im not good at math, but you obviously go with the higher percentage, even if there are busts (like there are at EVERY single position)