Whale of a bad time

Chandler#81

My wife's nephew works at Seaworld, and was in the area after the show when the "accident" happened. Not a very good day for him.

Very odd, I wonder if the trainer did something the whale interpreted as hostile.

Probably not. The trainers are well-trained and reasonably careful. Despite shows like this giving them a reputation as friendly and playful, dolphins and orcas are basically right cold bastards at heart. There is a theory that swimmers that are "rescued" by dolphins at sea just happen to get lucky becuse the dolphins' play-time activities happen to save and not kill them. I would not be at all surprised if the whale just wanted something to play with and grabbed her.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the whale was just having a metaphorical "bad hair day", and took it out on her. Whales are complex animals, not like gerbils or Steely Dan...

Isn't your wife's nephew your nephew as well?

Yes...but I always feel compelled to make sure it's understood that it's her half the family.

Probably because it would otherwise be somewhat awkward explaining how I have a neice and nephew three years younger than I. But mostly because I'm an asocial bastard who doesn't want to claime anything resembling a relationship with other people.

Yes...but I always feel compelled to make sure it's understood that it's her half the family.

Probably because it would otherwise be somewhat awkward explaining how I have a neice and nephew three years younger than I. But mostly because I'm an asocial bastard who doesn't want to claime anything resembling a relationship with other people.

My cousin's uncle (also my uncle) is younger than him. Not too hard to explain. Mother and daughter were both having children at the same time. My aunt was the oldest and had a child (my cousin) in her early 20's... My grandmother had a child (my uncle) just after that in her 40's.

My cousin's uncle (also my uncle) is younger than him. Not too hard to explain. Mother and daughter were both having children at the same time. My aunt was the oldest and had a child (my cousin) in her early 20's... My grandmother had a child (my uncle) just after that in her 40's.

We have a situation like that with one of my cousins as well... he is 8 days younger than his nephew!

Probably not. The trainers are well-trained and reasonably careful. Despite shows like this giving them a reputation as friendly and playful, dolphins and orcas are basically right cold bastards at heart. There is a theory that swimmers that are "rescued" by dolphins at sea just happen to get lucky becuse the dolphins' play-time activities happen to save and not kill them. I would not be at all surprised if the whale just wanted something to play with and grabbed her.

I see dolphins swimming off Ocean City NJ every weekend, usually early in the morning. Usually they are about 100 yards out--not that far--and sometimes closer. Once when I was swimming, I decided to go out close to a pod of about 10 of them who were frolicking in one area. I swam within 8 feet of them for a close look at their size and power and about that moment, they scared the **** outta me and I forgot all about Flipper and just thought how one of these 30mph 500lb missiles could break my ribs or neck without even thinking about it. Even though nothing happened, it was one of my scarier water experiences and now when I see them swimming out there, I am happy to see a fellow mammal and let them enjoy their cruise without interruption from me.