Let's talk to Saints about an OT

nichebiche

one way to begin to fix the Bills OLine troubles would be to make a deal with the Saints for one of their overabundance of OTs. the Saints have Jamaal Brown (former Pro-Bowler), Jermon Bushrod (current Pro-Bowler) and Zach Streif -- all LT's -- along with Jonathon Stinchcomb at RT.

why not offer the Saints a 3rd rounder for either Brown or Bushrod? or a 4th for Streif? the Saints would probably want a 2nd or more for either of the 1st pair. are there any 2nd rounders this year any better than Brown or Bushrod? maybe a 3rd & 4th could get it done. or a 4th and 6th for Streif?

even if the Bills had to give up this year's 2nd for Brown or Bushrod, they'd still have their 1st round pick to take Clausen, Bradford, Dan Williams at NT, McClain at ILB or even another OT like Bulaga for the rightside -- or they could try to trade down to recoup a pick.

one way to begin to fix the Bills OLine troubles would be to make a deal with the Saints for one of their overabundance of OTs. the Saints have Jamaal Brown (former Pro-Bowler), Jermon Bushrod (current Pro-Bowler) and Zach Streif -- all LT's -- along with Jonathon Stinchcomb at RT.

why not offer the Saints a 3rd rounder for either Brown or Bushrod? or a 4th for Streif? the Saints would probably want a 2nd or more for either of the 1st pair. are there any 2nd rounders this year any better than Brown or Bushrod? maybe a 3rd & 4th could get it done. or a 4th and 6th for Streif?

even if the Bills had to give up this year's 2nd for Brown or Bushrod, they'd still have their 1st round pick to take Clausen, Bradford, Dan Williams at NT, McClain at ILB or even another OT like Bulaga for the rightside -- or they could try to trade down to recoup a pick.

Streif -- never proven anything

bushrod -- proved he can't be a premiere tackle, not a probowler, weakest starter on the whole offense, possibly the whole team, abused by good ends. Had to keep in tight ends, chip with backs. Changed a dynamic offense for the worse.

brown -- potential to be great, unhappy he was put on ir this year, takes more penalties then he should, not a tremendous run blocker. Would probably be our best lineman but not an elite talent. Long term back problems are a worry.

Ps- Williams is probably the best (only) trade bait we have. Saints are weak inside and can't really chase any free agents. Lsu product which would go over well down here.

This just in : strief tendered at the second round level.

And because I didn't talk about him much last post -- he is a GREAT man off the field. Have met him at several charity functions. He is known as the first guy to sign up for any communtiy function... He just has not played at all yet. The game in Tampa was his only start I believe. Don't remember him standing out and they switched back to bushrod the next week. The switch was not injury related which I think shows the staff was not thrilled with either player as a starter.

Bushrod was punished by 1/2 speed Freeney in the SB, no way I want to rely on him to start. If we trade for anyone, the two most likely canidates IMO would be McNiel from SD or Light from NE. Maybe we could grab Merriman/Wilfork respectively to sweeten the deal...

Bushrod was punished by 1/2 speed Freeney in the SB, no way I want to rely on him to start. If we trade for anyone, the two most likely canidates IMO would be McNiel from SD or Light from NE. Maybe we could grab Merriman/Wilfork respectively to sweeten the deal...

If you think that was punishment -- watch the Dallas game. Demarcus laid a beating on him after being carted off the field the week before. Bushrod LOST that game pretty single handedly.

I like the McNeil from SD option.

SD's biggest needs are RB, RT, a 3-4 DE, and an ILB.

Would you trade spots with SD in RD#1 for McNeil? Let's say they would like to move up to grab either Trent Williams or Charles Brown. We get McNeil and their #28 pick, and, with the 28th pick, I'd take Jared Odrick DE 3-4.

I'd then take Selvish Capers OT in RD2 and Dan LeFevour QB in RD3.

My plan B is to take LeFevour QB in RD2 and Kyle Calloway OT in RD3.

The goal would be to acquire McNeil-Odrick-Calloway-LeFevour or McNeil-Odrick--Capers-LeFevour.

Would you trade spots with SD in RD#1 for McNeil? Let's say they would like to move up to grab either Trent Williams or Charles Brown. We get McNeil and their #28 pick, and, with the 28th pick, I'd take Jared Odrick DE 3-4.

The goal would be to acquire McNeil-Odrick-Calloway-LeFevour or McNeil-Odrick--Capers-LeFevour.

if they trade mcneil then there biggest need is left tackle

Bushrod is not good. The Saints made the SB in spite of him, not because of him.

Profootballfocus lists him as the 69th best OT (including left and right tackles) of all 77 tackles. That puts him five spots above Bell, who is 74th. Bushrod is not good.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

The Saints know this, and will use Bushrod either as trade bait or a backup this year, the better Saints tackles won't be available.

I think the Bills would need to give up the 9 and Lynch for the 28 and McNiel, and maybe even a 4th or more. SD gains nothing by losing McNiel and a pick for just a higher pick.

But Lynch/9 for McNiel/28 I am all for. And I am one of Lynchs biggest fans.

Look at San Diego's depth chart. Do you see who is listed as the backup LT behind McNeill? If you take a look, you will find that if McNeill is injured, the starting RT is the backup LT. They don't have a backup remotely good enough to take over. Trading McNeill would leave them without an LT as well as without an RT.

McNeill simply will not be traded.

Astro, you're saying that SD would give up a pretty solid LT AND their first round pick all just to upgrade the already pretty solid LT? Sounds highly unlikely to me for a team with some serious needs.

Also, Odrick isn't big enough to play NT is he? Are you trying to pick him up as a DE? Why are you trying to get us Odrick? Odrick weighs 296, he sure won't be an NT in a 3 - 4.

per adam schefter twitter. saints place a second round tender on bushrod

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Look at San Diego's depth chart. Do you see who is listed as the backup LT behind McNeill? If you take a look, you will find that if McNeill is injured, the starting RT is the backup LT. They don't have a backup remotely good enough to take over. Trading McNeill would leave them without an LT as well as without an RT.

McNeill simply will not be traded.

who would trade there starting left tackle only to pencil there right tackle as the replacement....

let be honest though -- if they are concerned about his back, or he is upset that contract negotiations have broken down before..... maybe something comes of it.