Sam Bradford, Redskin

Beerball

I guess that would be a good enough reason to keep there disrespectful name and logo.

LOL. I don't understand why a sports franchise insists on using a derogatory name for their team. It's just dumb ass. Like the world would fall apart if they changed their name. Just goes to show that power, money buys you a lot of position.

C

Who are you to decide what offends another culture/race.

My cousins are part Cherokee, neither them nor their father are offended by the name Redskins, Chiefs, Blackhawks (NHL) or Indians (MLB). The majority of Indians (yes my cousins/uncle refer to themselves as Indians, not Native Americans) dont find the mascots offensive, but rather are somewhat honored that their culture is being idolized (yes I realize not all of them feel this way). My high schools former AD was 100% Native American and absolutely loved the high schools mascot which was Chiefs with a great Chief head dress logo. 6 months after he retired they were working to drop the name because 3 white students and 1 Indian (from India, not a Native American) found it offensive. This is not anyone's issue but Indians, so whites/blacks/purple/etc. need to stop making such a commotion about an issue you really have no right butting into.

My cousins are part Cherokee, neither them nor their father are offended by the name Redskins, Chiefs, Blackhawks (NHL) or Indians (MLB). The majority of Indians (yes they refer to themselves as Indians, not Native Americans) dont find the mascots offensive, but rather are somewhat honored that their culture is being idolized (yes I realize not all of them feel this way). My high schools former AD was 100% Native American and absolutely loved the high schools mascot which was Chiefs with a great Chief head dress logo.

Stop making such a commotion about an issue you really have no right butting into.

From my understanding, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Seminoles, Illini, etc. is different than Redskin, which was a deragatory term, not unlike the slang terms for other ethnic groups that would not use to name sports teams after. Use your imagination.

I was pointing out some are offended by the name. It is not up to me to judge.

there needs to be more than 7 people involved in this suit.

The term "redskins" is now, and always has been, a derogatory and offensive term, according to a friend-of-the-court brief filed by the National Congress of American Indians and other major native American tribes and groups.

so maybe the National Congress of American Indians should weight into this, rather than just 7 individuals.

It was a lot more than 7 people if you include all the rich, white, urban lawyers and do-gooders who do most of the 'getting offended' in these cases.

:thumbsup:

My cousins are part Cherokee, neither them nor their father are offended by the name Redskins, Chiefs, Blackhawks (NHL) or Indians (MLB). The majority of Indians (yes my cousins/uncle refer to themselves as Indians, not Native Americans) dont find the mascots offensive, but rather are somewhat honored that their culture is being idolized (yes I realize not all of them feel this way). My high schools former AD was 100% Native American and absolutely loved the high schools mascot which was Chiefs with a great Chief head dress logo. 6 months after he retired they were working to drop the name because 3 white students and 1 Indian (from India, not a Native American) found it offensive. This is not anyone's issue but Indians, so whites/blacks/purple/etc. need to stop making such a commotion about an issue you really have no right butting into.

Oh piddiddle...I'm not deciding for them one way or another. It's your cousins' and uncle's right to be offended or not offended. Every day there are things I see that may be offensive or not offensive to me. Conversely there may be things I do that may be offensive to others, even though I may not think so.

But if I am to be considerate human being, I listen to why something may offend someone and then evaluate if it makes sense. If the change that would make their sensitivity seems reasonable and doesn't impinge on my values, why not change?

The National Congress of American Indians is on record as finding the Redskins name offensive. The court decision was overturned only on appeals in DC District Court.

Surely the Washington team can extend that consideration that would reflect what they are trying to portray in a better light.

C

A while ago, PC fever hit Miami (OH), and they changed from the Redskins to the RedHawks.

They have their football program, but they have a reputation for fielding good hockey, baseball, and golf teams.

That's 4 sports, so when the wailing and hand-wringing was going on, someone suggested that they change the name to the...

FourSkins. :thumbsup: